300 Weatherby Mag

Paul 600

Gloves of men, pros and cons please. It would only be used on the hill every now and again and maybe for some continental stuff.

Don't need this gun but I might have a good deal! ;)

300 Weatherby Magnums popular in the US for shooting elk and larger at long range.

Very flat shooting and will send out a 180 gn bullet at 3300 fps, with 4354 ft lbs of muzzle energy, 220 gn bullet at 2905 fps for 4124 ftlbs. At 300yds it is still delivering 2663 fps with the lighter bullet and 2835 ft lbs of energy. This is 375 H&H terratroy in terms of energy levels.

For closer range stuff you will need to choose a premium bullet - a normal soft point will just blow up and not penetrate.

You will pay a premium in terms of noise and recoil unless you moderate it (but can you get a can that can withstand the blast?).

Ammo will be hard to find and expensive.

But would be ideal for big stags and long range plains game and if you can cope with the recoil a lot of fun to shoot.

Heym SR20 said:
300 Weatherby Magnums popular in the US for shooting elk and larger at long range.

Very flat shooting and will send out a 180 gn bullet at 3300 fps, with 4354 ft lbs of muzzle energy, 220 gn bullet at 2905 fps for 4124 ftlbs. At 300yds it is still delivering 2663 fps with the lighter bullet and 2835 ft lbs of energy. This is 375 H&H terratroy in terms of energy levels.

For closer range stuff you will need to choose a premium bullet - a normal soft point will just blow up and not penetrate.

You will pay a premium in terms of noise and recoil unless you moderate it (but can you get a can that can withstand the blast?).

Ammo will be hard to find and expensive.

But would be ideal for big stags and long range plains game and if you can cope with the recoil a lot of fun to shoot.

Thanks for the reply! The stags I shoot round here are way bigger than the hill beasts, The hinds can be the size of hill stags! :p

I will take a look at Jet Z

Thanks

Has anyone got this calibre on their ticket for deer? Or just for overseas use?

Last edited:
Gloves of men, pros and cons please. It would only be used on the hill every now and again and maybe for some continental stuff.

Don't need this gun but I might have a good deal! ;)

its an absolute ANIMAL !

i knew a danish guy who was witnessed shooting a roe buck through a pine tree , killing it clean !

There could be a very good reason it`s a good deal, and it could be because the seller can`t sell it.

It's an over bore powder hog. Brass is expensive and even here in the states, not an item you can pick up everywhere. You don't need it? Pass on it. I woudn't touch it unless it was darned near free and I could sell it at a profit.~Muir

Has anyone got this calibre on their ticket for deer? Or just for overseas use?

No but i have a .300 Win-Mag on a open ticket for Deer- also Rib shot all Deer from Munjac up to Red no probs its roughly 100fps slower than a Weatherby Mag

Not sure about getting it on ticket for deer in UK will depend on force I suppose, I do have an overseas client who comes to the stags each year with one I have had no problem getting him a visitors permit for it.

Never shot one myself, so all this can be taken with a huge amount of salt, however Harry Selby who did know a lot about cartridges and bullets wasn't a great fan. He always said they were fantastic rifle, if it is a real Weatherby not a Howa, but the very high velocity meant that the bullet tended to behave erratically and was easily deflected by twigs and grass. Slightly slowere heavier rounds got his vote.

Best wishes,

David.

and was easily deflected by twigs and grass. Slightly slowere heavier rounds got his vote.

Best wishes,

David.

Don’t believe all that BS about heavy bullets buck bush, tests by the USA NRA in the 70s found that either a bullet found a path though the bush or was deflected, whether it was 100gn or 200gn bullet deer bullet made little difference, no bush bucking bullets in normal deer calibres.

ATB

Tahr

Don’t believe all that BS about heavy bullets buck bush, tests by the USA NRA in the 70s found that either a bullet found a path though the bush or was deflected, whether it was 100gn or 200gn bullet deer bullet made little difference, no bush bucking bullets in normal deer calibres.

ATB

Tahr

Years ago, I did these sort of tests for myself. I used a new paper roe target and put various obstructions in front of it which I shot through and observed the results. I won't discuss the outcomes because it was a pretty unscientific experiment and I wouldn't want to encourage people to shoot through cover but, the main factor of influence that I found was the distance between the obstruction and the target.

Back to the original question, I've got nothing against the big .30 cals (have a .30-'06 now and used a .300win mag for years) but the Wetherby wouldn't interest me unless it was a gift just because of the hassle and cost of cases etc. Shouldn't be any problem with the Police though, plenty of people have .30 and 7mm Mags for UK deer.

JC

Back