Do i clean cases ?

chill123

Do i clean my cases with the new primer in or out ? I have just bought a dry media rotary tumbler . Also do i need to add anythig else to the media ?

Thanks Chill

Cases are usually cleaned prior to de priming & neck or full length re sizing, I would reckon you should get some help from some one local to you , as it sounds like you may be getting in a bit of a mess. Steve.

certainly not with the new primer in
but would it not clean the primer pocket if you deprimed and removed the old one first? or does the stuff get stuck?

I use a stainless media wet tumbling system and de-prime with a lee universal de-primer before I tumble.. That way the primer pockets get a thorough cleaning too and the brass comes out looking like new. I then Full length size & run through my case prep station before re-tumbling for 30 mins to get the case lube off.

Doing it in this order means I am also putting clean, debris free brass into my dies wich will stop them getting gunked up with crap and maintain accuracy!

Sounds like a faff but when I reload it's like using new brass each time.

The residue left in the case after firing means that you loose a small amount of case capacity, and this will increase the case pressure over time.
The residue in the primer pocket affects the way the primer flash is channeled through the flash hole, and this in turn will affect the powder burn.

Clean cases give consistency, which means that you are working with a known factor (case capacity/primer performance) and therefore it will be easier to see the effect of any change in the load on accuracy. :)

If you are cleaning them with a tumbler do as Vipa says.

HTH

I clean my cases before i resize them and again after to clean of the resizing lube i then put the new primers in !

I find a quick swill round in a bucket of gunwash, (cellulose thinners) will shift any form of lube, within a few seconds, then tip em out using a sieve spoon, roll em around on a good sized old towel.... clean as!

Back