Badgers getting fat on pig food

woody

Things seem quite on my ground, not huge amount of activity after a cold spell although there is some good signs of a big boar visiting but looks like only one and noticed the badgers are mopping up all the food from the feeder :confused:
Much activity in your neck of the woods??
Will have to have a sesion next week, wish me luck!

woody

stone said:
don't hav boar on my ground so jealous as eck

Consider your self extremely lucky.

Between them and badgers you'll loose every gamebird and ground nesting birds nest on the place. :evil:

Turfer said:
stone said:
don't hav boar on my ground so jealous as eck

Consider your self extremely lucky.

Between them and badgers you'll loose every gamebird and ground nesting birds nest on the place. :evil:
very confused at that turfer, please explain
as your comments don't match up to my experiences with boar or badgers :confused:

Rich

They both are absolute menaces to any ground nesting bird species. As they hoover up everything. They will take the sitting hen if they get a chance if not they will take every egg or fledglings that passes their way.

As their numbers increase so does their nightly assault upon your vulnerable bird populations.

I've seen both badger and boar work a hedge better than any spaniel.

We've got plenty of boar and badgers on our ground :D , but now you mention it i've never seen many pheasants about :(

AHH WELL I'll cope :p ;)

WD

Strange i have pheasant,caper and black cock on my ground plus badgers and boar. Now those bloody hawks are a problem though.

Yes, but just think how many more of them you would see if the porkers and bobbies weren't there :evil:

WAYNE DAVIES said:
We've got plenty of boar and badgers on our ground :D , but now you mention it i've never seen many pheasants about :(

AHH WELL I'll cope :p ;)

WD

I know when they finish with your feed they come and nick mine, you need to keep that feeder of yours topped up more regulary ;)
:D
Woody

If its a toss up between boar or pheasants the boar have it. Badgers ,no problem i can just shoot them :D .
Just a question. Has any one tried putting out tar to attract boar. They sell Björk (birch) tar here smells like Stockholm tar. You paint it on a rock or a tree stump and the boar love to rub it in there fur,hair. they will come for mile for tar. Said to help keep parasites of there skin.
I have a boar skin in my freezer ready to train the dog with and it stinks of tar.

hejsan pojke

, funny you should mention tar. Once upon a time when I was boar shooting with Fritz outside Berlin, we had to look for a boar the morning after shooting. The dogs took us into a wood thicket of pine trees which had been the bark stripped licked rubbed and generally a favourite place of the boar and everything was covered in pine tar stuck with pig hair.

Smell was absulutely over powering, but the dog made easy work of the track, depite all the other smells.

vi ses senare

Doghound, De gris luktar som fan med tjära på.

Turfer, The tar can be bought in spray cans or by the litre. Birch tar it says on the can. I seem to recall a photo posted by Wayne Davis i think?
It was of boar damage to a field and there was a electric/telegraph pole in the forground and the boar had been rubbing themselves on the tar that was on the pole. I know tar is one of those things that will attract boar better that food will.

We tryed the tar but didnt have a great deal of success with it, it was the smokey stuff and you knew when you had used it, because it is very strong smelling....eddie

DSCF0175-1.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

We tryed the tar but didnt have a great deal of success with it, it was the smokey stuff and you knew when you had used it, because it is very strong smelling....eddie

DSCF0175-1.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

apollo, Thats the photo. Looks like those pigs really hate that tar :lol:
I do's stink pretty strong. They recommened that if you think you have boar on your ground to put out a tar rub before you start feeding them as it will attract them from a long way off.
The smell of the tar takes me back to when we used stockholm tar for treating wounds on livestock.

I have put some stockholm tar on a couple of trees in a patch of woodland today to see if it works with the boar.

It would have been useful to find it in the spray tins mentioned; or at least I should have opened the pot first to see how runny it is and I could have taken a paint brush with me. Tried to smear it on with a piece of wood without success and ended up rubbing it into the tree bark with some tuffty grass twisted into a knot! I have washed my hands a dozen times and still cant get the smell off!!!! I am starting to quite like the smell of it now!

That post never had the tar on, that one was o` natural, we tried it in the forrest itself without much luck, we had it on the bed of the truck and smelled like smoked kippers for six months :eek: but if you go smell the tree in the forest you can still catch the aroma....eddie

Back