Stutzen or...

User00003

what's the purpose, look, feel, avoiding barrel scratches in the mountains, etc..

ie. why stutzen?...why not?

what's the purpose, look, feel, avoiding barrel scratches in the mountains, etc..

ie. why stutzen?...why not?

The story I heard was a German or Austrian count had a dodgy leg and needed a stick, he was keen on shooting and had a stock to look like a stick. Maybe he shot in woodland hence the shorter barrel?
No advantage otherwise.
If in doubt get one:

The very first long arms were mostly full stocked & tradition has made sure that the format still exists.
I think that a stutzen can be a beautiful t'ing. It depends on what floats your boat. I've had a couple & really like them. A bit like Marmite!
They are great woodland rifles and usually being shorter than half stocked weapons, they are very well balanced. They are often lighter too, so are good to carry all day. They are very nice to handle and are generally very well put together.
A good one will shoot just as accurately as a half stocker. They can be a bit intolerant of poor hold/technique though.
The wood will protect the metal - but conversely wood is easier to damage than metal so it's a non issue.
The only downsides are - stutzens are more a fair weather rifle - more difficult to dry out etc and they are not well suited to having a moderator fitted.

Ian

Everything Ian said. They are a personal taste thing - but in the end, what isn't? I can't think of a single rifle that everybody would feel the same about but this is beautiful (at least to me).

DD3.jpg

A "Gentlemans" rifle.

They certainly look nice and traditional, but tend to have serious price tags. CZ are the only manufacturer IMHO who charge sensible money for a fullstock.

A "Gentlemans" rifle.

They certainly look nice and traditional, but tend to have serious price tags. CZ are the only manufacturer IMHO who charge sensible money for a fullstock.

You get what you pay for - usually stutzens are made to the upper end of the quality scale, and they are more difficult to manufacture, so it is logical that they cost a bit. -- You can't get a Rolls Royce for Austin Morris money. But as with cars the better quality rifles are often less used & have been better looked after, so second hand can be a sensible option if you want one.

Ian

Agree with most of the other posts. I've enjoyed several over the years and all have performed well in the field.
Don't have one just now, but if this year pans out nicely I'll look for another....probably 6.5x54Msch. - Just for fun.
Cheers, :thumb:

If you stalk in the rain much I would imagine there is more chance of the stock warping if the wood is not high quality.

I have three half stock and one stutzen. (A sauer 202 ). I tend not to use the Stutzen for much over 200yards, but then again I rarely plan to shoot beyond that anyway. I shot a 99/100 on the stalkers test at Monmouth last year, so it can't be described as inaccurate. I've used mine in -20C in Poland, and saw no change in the way it shot. It has been rained on a fair bit, and after any drenching I do strip it and get it really dry before oiling externally and reassembling. In short, I love the look and handling of the Stutzen, but would only recommend them to stalkers who love their rifles, and not those who treat them with the same care as they would a shovel.

bsa stutzen, can be had for under 200 squids and is a great shooter i love mine exellent set trigger as well ,atb wayne

i would love one in 6.5 x 55 for roe muntjac and cwd. always thought they looked great and wanted one as long as i can remember. jsut need the funds and the variation

If you stalk in the rain much I would imagine there is more chance of the stock warping if the wood is not high quality.

I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread here........does anyone who stalks, not get caught in the rain!
Stutzens are fine in the rain, just as any other decent rifle is. I used stutzens for 30 years, in the rain at times too. It doesn't make any difference....apart from the deer all disappearing! Cheers,:doh:

They are not popular in the UK for some reason and you can get some real nice rifles cheap. I got Krico .243 stutzen recently with EAW swing off mounts for silly money. Buy one if you like them and do not need moderator.

Sorry PKL,i dont want to hi-jack the thread ether, but.

Would anyone be interested in a after market stock that could replace the half stock and give you a Stutzen look and feel? it would be possible to select woods (babinka for example) or laminates what would have impeccable water resistance. i could also stop the stock just short for moderator usage.

i must add that i pay little attention to tradition for the sake of it. But i do love the full stock look too. Now I have the tools. One of my Tikka's is in danger of getting a full stock. A modern take on a lee Enfiled perhaps!

Last edited:
Sorry PKL,i dont want to hi-jack the thread ether, but.

Would anyone be interested in a after market stock that could replace the half stock and give you a Stutzen look and feel? it would be possible to select woods (babinka for example) or laminates what would have impeccable water resistance. i could also stop the stock just short for moderator usage.

i must add that i pay little attention to tradition for the sake of it. But i do love the full stock look too. Now I have the tools. One of my Tikka's is in danger of getting a full stock. A modern take on a lee Enfiled perhaps!

More like a Mannlicher Jaeger stock. Stutzens usually have shorter barrels but Mannlicher made a rifle with an almost fullstock which I believe was called a Jaeger. I nearly brought one quite a few years ago in 9x57mm but when examined closely some idiot had heavily sanded the stock ruining most of it's edges and grace.

Mauser also made a "Range" rifle and a special African model with an almost full stock having at most about 5" of barrel clear. You idea has merit but I must say is not a new one :lol:. Bit like straight pull bolts on rifles.... been done since at least 1888.

More like a Mannlicher Jaeger stock. Stutzens usually have shorter barrels but Mannlicher made a rifle with an almost fullstock which I believe was called a Jaeger. I nearly brought one quite a few years ago in 9x57mm but when examined closely some idiot had heavily sanded the stock ruining most of it's edges and grace.

Mauser also made a "Range" rifle and a special African model with an almost full stock having at most about 5" of barrel clear. You idea has merit but I must say is not a new one :lol:. Bit like straight pull bolts on rifles.... been done since at least 1888.

i know its not new:). sorry if it seamed like i was trying to break new ground with a revolutionary design. I didn't mean any thing like that. i have seen the Mannlicher Full stock it makes a nice looking rifle. shame the one you looked at didn't measure up. I wonder what prompted the owner to sand it and so ruin it.

When I have my FAC, I'll be going for the Steyr-Mannlicher fullstock in 7mm08. I have the gold coins already hidden under a stone in the hearth. Just no paperwork yet.

i know its not new:). sorry if it seamed like i was trying to break new ground with a revolutionary design. I didn't mean any thing like that. i have seen the Mannlicher Full stock it makes a nice looking rifle. shame the one you looked at didn't measure up. I wonder what prompted the owner to sand it and so ruin it.

Oh it was probably just an old rifle and it needed cleaning up to make it attractive for selling. Trouble is that they ruined it and reduced it's price by at least 2/3rds. I do have a full stock it's my BSA CF2 Stutzen in 270 Winchester:-

StutzenRHS.jpg

StutzenLHS.jpg

Have it owned it since it was new. Acquired it shop soiled as it had sat on the rack for a while and the box etc had been lost.

Oh it was probably just an old rifle and it needed cleaning up to make it attractive for selling. Trouble is that they ruined it and reduced it's price by at least 2/3rds. I do have a full stock it's my BSA CF2 Stutzen in 270 Winchester:-

StutzenRHS.jpg

StutzenLHS.jpg

Have it owned it since it was new. Acquired it shop soiled as it had sat on the rack for a while and the box etc had been lost.

Brit,
You have some very nice kit mate. Would you consinsider my borrowing that STOCK, to make a pattern so I could start my project? absolutely no harm would come to it.I would sort postage out too of course. I have a lump of ropular sat in the workshop crying out to be a full stock and a t3 30-06 action to go into it.

Brithunter - that CF2 stutzen is very very nice. I love the stutzen lines, mine is a CZ 550 full stock in 9.3 x 62 but I have always admired the CF2. I got rid of mine many moons ago ( a 30.06 ) before I realised what a great bit of kit it was and ended up replacing it with an inferior rifle. I regret selling it to this day.

Back