Shooting foxes with sub sonic .22lr

Archer

Just been asked about giving permission for a person to lamp foxes using a .22lr
He wants to use subs to avoid too much noise.

I realise that under the right conditions a .22lr will despatch a fox with but I'm am uncomfortable with his choice of a subsonic round.

Am I being over cautious?

it's fine as long as a good headshot within 50yds based on my experience. prefer bigger, but if you can call them in close enough and have a steady shot for the head, then it works fine and kills them on the spot. I wouldn't go for a body shot, personally.

will also depend on what his fac says. im in sussex and cant get fox put on my .22lr. in the right cercum stances it can work well but personally if i was wanting to shoot foxes that much i would have something bigger

No Archer your not being over cautious as it is illegal to shoot foxes with a .22 lr in the uk , unlees you have the revalent licience from defra.

Even in gmp you cannot shoot them now with .17hmr also.

**** and totally stupid I know.:british:

Mark.

No Archer your not being over cautious as it is illegal to shoot foxes with a .22 lr in the uk , unlees you have the revalent licience from defra.

Mark.

You really haven't got a clue; and your spelling, punctuation and grammar is crap as well.

Mark.

Since when ?? Fox are vermin and can be shot with anything

Mark.
Sorry Mark you are wrong on this one it is not illegal to shoot foxes with a 22 rimfire if gmp are saying it is illegal to shoot them with a 17hmr they are wrong too
Geordie

many foxs have met their end by the humble 22lr ,just as many by shotgun .not my weapon of choice but if i were to come across charlie whilst on my rounds feeding asta la vista !

You really haven't got a clue; and your spelling, punctuation and grammar is crap as well.

I must object to this, Spelling punctuation and grammer have nothing whatso ever to do with a thread and I dislike it when others try the english teacher approch to any thread. We are not all well educated but we do have a right to be involved with discussion.

That said the information that Mark 1 has given is indeed Crap and no he has not got a clue.

Perfectly legal to shoot fox with .22lr and 17 hmr in Scotland.

Prefer something bigger but 'controlled' many with head shot with .22lr

nothing illegal about it in my book....then again I'm in Scotland, soon not to be in the 'UK' - :stir:

You hope, and I hope my spelling and punctuation is up to scratch :rofl:

What Jack said was factually correct. Un-necessary, yes, irrelevant, definitely, but absolutely correct.

I'm afraid that if you come on a thread and write something so obviously wrong and misleading (albeit with a great deal of confidence), you can expect some incoming. If Jack had merely said "you are factually completely incorrect" then would you still have complained David?

Sorry Mark you are wrong on this one it is not illegal to shoot foxes with a 22 rimfire if gmp are saying it is illegal to shoot them with a 17hmr they are wrong too
Geordie

Quite right.

I live in GMP-land, and in my experience they do not maintain that shooting a fox with .22LR is unlawful.

They might have other reasons for not letting Mark shoot foxes with his .22LR, perhaps?

Back