Fieldsports Britain

soulboy1957

As much as i enjoy it,take a look at the latest episode "wreck fishing and cowboy rabbits" 21 minutes in,shotgunning rabbits bolted by ferrets.

Much as Roy Lupton knows his stuff, i wouldn't go ferreting with him.
It looked pure luck that he didn't shoot one of his ferrets and when he said the rabbits were only fit for dog food im not surprised as most of them looked about 10yds away.
Many of the shots shown on FSTV look dangerous and the 300yd Roe buck shown last week may well have been within Roys capabilities but not the sort of thing to broadcast on the internet.

I have shot rabbits bolted by ferrets a couple of times, and as long as you can tell the difference between the two I don't see the problem.
You are controlling pests, the range you shoot them at shouldn't be an issue, if you are shooting purely for the table that is another matter.

lately its been disapointing ,but still a billion times better than the ''countryfile'' i prefer mr lupton to craven by a mile !

Sorry didnt mean the aspects of pest control in meant the shot that was taken about 21 minutes in,up the hedgeline towards his shooting partner,that was just plain dangerous,is this how we want viewers to see the sport?

well just watched it x2 and the hedgerow shot shot was deffo safe enough thats a camera angle and if you remember the rabbits are either bolting along the hedge or beyond it i would say that was safe.
as for the barrels at the camera it was close but not quite at him, and whos to say it wasn't empty and he had shut it to bend down so as not to plug his barrel, not great editing i agree but you do not have all the facts.
I suggest people enjoy it and stop just watching it to pick holes in it.
you all cry how bad this ,how unsafe that is, but how many antis have seen this and used it for anything un-towards????
they probably would never know if you lot didn't keep crying about things.
I did a bit for telly and someone said the gun should have been made safe when we crossed a fence........ it wasn't even loaded the magazine and bullets were back at the car it was staged for the camera... I agree not great practice to show, BUT everyone there knew the weapon was inert so we maybe let our gaurd down... just pointing out everything is not filmed LIVE. the ending on the film i did were i walked past the camera was filmed 7 times yes 7 from 3 camera angles. 2 days filming went in for 12 minutes televised.

Last edited:
There seemed to be points when the guns were getting awefully close towards crossing at each other. I am sure they are experienced and safe, but you never know who is watching and thinking that it is acceptable.

Maybe just the editing, or making it for TV, but it is a bad image, IMHO.

Why do people feel that when ever this program comes on you have to slag it off, I have never watched it so have no reason to defend it. If someone filmed your movements, someone would find something to say about it.

I bet if you recorded your own shoot, there'd be more guns pointing at each other and crossing over people's heads, shots taken near beaters, etc than you'd like to think....

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

i think this comes into it on many shoots and many other things.

bob.

Here we go again!

It is nigh on impossible to tell if a shot taken by one of the presenters or their guests is safe or not, because the cameraman's view will never be the same as the shooters. Given the presenter's collective experience and their objectives, it is my opinion, that all shots taken are responsible and safe. Armchair critics who spend more time surfing the net than stalking, are the first to volunteer their opinions on unsafe shots.

Fieldsports Britain et al are filling a void for field sports enthusiasts, which sadly, terrestrial TV providers cant or wont. If you dont like it, dont watch it and please spare us the amateurish critic. Long may it continue.

Here we go again!

It is nigh on impossible to tell if a shot taken by one of the presenters or their guests is safe or not, because the cameraman's view will never be the same as the shooters. Given the presenter's collective experience and their objectives, it is my opinion, that all shots taken are responsible and safe. Armchair critics who spend more time surfing the net than stalking, are the first to volunteer their opinions on unsafe shots.

Fieldsports Britain et al are filling a void for field sports enthusiasts, which sadly, terrestrial TV providers cant or wont. If you dont like it, dont watch it and please spare us the amateurish critic. Long may it continue.
here here. and i rarley watch it until some one spouts off.

here here. and i rarley watch it until some one spouts off.
Here here, filming ferreting and shooting bolting rabbits is never going to be easy from the point of veiw of making it look safe,there is simply too much going on when the action starts,I have shot thousands of bolting rabbits,and to be safe with a team of guns all shooting is easy enough but it requires good teamwork and at times not a little self restraint,it is one of the most exiting forms of shooting you can do, and I think everyone should try it, just watched the clip,the shooting was safe enough,although the bunnies were a little close for my liking,but it does seem that every episode gets it critics who seemingly cant wait to pick spots,lighten up guys please.

I bet if you recorded your own shoot, there'd be more guns pointing at each other and crossing over people's heads, shots taken near beaters, etc than you'd like to think....

You bet yer! I got hit right on the bridge of the nose by a pellet in December 2011 by someone taking a low bird, crossing the line of guns; considering that 1/2 an inch either way would have blinded me makes me feel a tad "been there, felt that" :mad:. Maybe that's why I'm a bit sensitive about it - you're only as safe as the other guns.

Am I the only one that that thought
Bloody hell a programme about fishing , clay shooting and ferreting all for free
And now reading about it being slated Once more
Use it or loose it
Good or bad
There are very few that that have commented on this thread that could equal the same on their own channel
If you think you can do any better
Put up or shut up
It is that simple
Look forward to seeing the footage

While it is good to be safety aware it seems that by and large most shooters are very good at being safe as there is no evidence that I've ever seen to indicate that shooting is a dangerous sport for anyone be that those involved or the general public.

It costs a lot of money to make a programme like Fieldsports TV even though it is clearly not a "big budget" production. I imagine the majority of this money comes from sponsorship and if a sponsor sees the programme constantly coming in for criticism, especially safety related criticism, then it is likely they will take their cash elsewhere and, as a result, the funding for the programme will vanish. If you were a sponsor and you found that week after week you were putting your name to something which was generating lots of negative reaction among the target audience what would you do?

So, if you are concerned about safety aspects of the programme then get in touch with the production team, some of them used to come on here and I'm sure they have email or similar. However, if you wish to keep posting the same complaints every week concerning the programme material then you must also accept that this outlet for field sports, which the people who complain seem to watch in microscopic detail every week, will no longer be available in due course. I'm not saying you are wrong to complain and it is very good to be safety aware but you must accept that by complaining on this public forum there may be consequences of your actions which will have a significant impact upon others and also, perhaps, yourself should you be a regular viewer.

"300yd Roe buck shown last week may well have been within Roys capabilities but not the sort of thing to broadcast on the internet."

Can I ask why you think that? If you trian for it and practise. The longer shots can mean more deer in the freezer.

"lately its been disapointing ,but still a billion times better than the ''countryfile'' i prefer mr lupton to craven by a mile !"

+1 on that mate.

"You bet yer! I got hit right on the bridge of the nose by a pellet in December 2011 by someone taking a low bird, crossing the line of guns; considering that 1/2 an inch either way would have blinded me makes me feel a tad "been there, felt that" . Maybe that's why I'm a bit sensitive about it - you're only as safe as the other guns"

Yep same thing happend to me when I was fifteen at a very well known estate near romsey. I was flagging up partridges. When the flag was blown to bits. Not impressed was I.

Last edited:
I very much enjoy watching the youtube program as its refreshing to see something put together catering for the majority of shooters in a professional format. When they rang up the Anti that did make me chuckle as he was pretty much stuffed haha

Back