Air rifle tune up

pete evans

just got my hands on a bsa goldstar air rifle. its pretty much unused and hasnt got a mark on it. It reminds me of my hw77 in terms of weight and balance and build quality.
When ive shot it it kicks like a mule and makes a real twang accuracy is so so.

I doubt the spring and washer has done much work so i'm torn between taking it apart and giving it a good lube and polish or fitting one of those venom kits. Ive read the kits reduce recoil and smooth everything out but you dont read many negative reviews in the gun press.

Anyone fitted one of these? Worth the bucks ?

I had access to a Weihrauch (not sure of the model) which had one of these Venom kits fitted.

I have got to say that it made a tremendous difference. I do not know how much was laid out but he did the work himself and it was like a new rifle. It was very smooth with absolutely no twang from it. It was incredibly accurate also but that was after experimenting to get the right pellet which would apply to any airgun.

It is worthy of note though that the circumstances were similar to your own and the previous owner had "stripped and lubed" which was detrimental as this causes "dieseling" which I was told is like the spring "shuddering" when it goes forward

venom was the dogs dangles ,my hw 77 was just silky smooth to shoot ,after a venom silencer for an hw 80 if anyone has one kicking about .

I have just re-powered my HW77K.

It had an ox spring fitted and the associated twang.

I stripped it down with the intention of fitting a V Mach kit. This was £73 plus delivery. I opted for the OEM Weihrauch parts. Spring, piston seal and breach seal came to £24 from my local gun shop.

The thing that made the biggest difference was changing from Eley Wasp pellets to H&M FTT. It now shoots very tight groups at 35m. I accept that the V Mach kit may be a slight improvement but I now have a gun that out shoots me with no twang.

I must admit to be dubious about OX springs. Had my feinwerk Sport Model 127 re-sprung some years back as despite askign for a OEM spring the idiot at the gunshop fitted an OX one. Noise went up accuracy went to hell in a hand basket. Later had it re-done by another shop and it's back to like it was when new.

I had the full Venom Lazaglide tuning carried out on my .20 hw80 and boy was it worth it.
Lovely to shoot and the rfd that i deal with was surprised at how quiet it was even to the point of taking two squirrels with consequetive shots.

So I'd say yes it's worth it

Ed

Stick a tin of pellets through it before you decide, it might just be ok after having the cobwebs blown out of it! I got a barnfind webley omega and the more it gets used, the better it gets

I have just re-powered my HW77K.

It had an ox spring fitted and the associated twang.

I stripped it down with the intention of fitting a V Mach kit. This was £73 plus delivery. I opted for the OEM Weihrauch parts. Spring, piston seal and breach seal came to £24 from my local gun shop.

The thing that made the biggest difference was changing from Eley Wasp pellets to H&M FTT. It now shoots very tight groups at 35m. I accept that the V Mach kit may be a slight improvement but I now have a gun that out shoots me with no twang.

That said, I would like a full Venom 80, walnut stock etc.

I fitted a maximizer kit to my HW77K, transformed it. ROBB'S do lots of air rifle tuning kits. Best thing is to use the correct lubricants, moly grease the spring and sleeve it cuts down all the twang. Ox springs not the best choice, stick to the standard bits which are readily available from J Knibbs.

D

never a fan of ox springs as they are ,or where square section wire ,better results always came for me with standard hw springs.back in the day you could get either a .22 or 177 spring ,if you put in the 177 spring into the .22 your power was well over the limit.this was before i became a fac holder and knew better:norty:,best results where 19ft lbs from an hw80

Never been a fan of springers but i do understand the people who still follow them, i have just bought a 40ft/lb Daystate Airwolf MCT and all i can say is WOW! What a machine!

Well hopefully we shall in the coming weeks be striping and servicing. Possibly a bit if fine tuning the old Haenel Model 303 I acquired. Have to make up a spring compressor as the first job.

Never been a fan of springers but i do understand the people who still follow them, i have just bought a 40ft/lb Daystate Airwolf MCT and all i can say is WOW! What a machine!

sounds like a different animal to the 12 ft/lbs twanger that i have got. If I was doing a lot of airgun stuff i would likely get a PCP (had a bsa s10 a few years ago). My brother replaced this with an hw1oo and they (at a similar power level) are chalk and cheese.

sounds like a different animal to the 12 ft/lbs twanger that i have got. If I was doing a lot of airgun stuff i would likely get a PCP (had a bsa s10 a few years ago). My brother replaced this with an hw1oo and they (at a similar power level) are chalk and cheese.

It is certainly an impressive performer Pete, its so quiet with the carbon mod on but it hits so hard its unreal and it produces around 70 shots per charge at 40ft/lb due to the electronics and the new Harper valve metering the air more efficiently. I have only had it for 4 days but have shot over 20 squirrels and several rabbits including rabbits out to 70 yards.

useful tool, bet it cost a bit! i have a space on my ticket for a 22lr that i havnt filled for 3-4 yrs as i use a 17hmr mostly. mebee a fac air rifle maybe more useful? 70yd rabbits sounds good.

Yeah it was'nt cheap thats for sure but its so universal and there are some good second hand ones about. Without a shadow of a doubt its more accurate than a rimfire. At 50 yards it will put a fill mag (10 pellets) well inside a 10mm group. Head shots are an absolute doddle.

Back