Pre DSC 1 course

I attended the pre DSC1 course at the weekend with Stalkinginengland (Bunwell Wood Shoot) and I have to say
it was one of the best weekends I have in a long while.
The course was both informative and really enjoyable, spent in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
The course was run over 2 days, day 1 was spent in doors learning about deer,habitat,seasons etc and day 2 was
a simulated stalk in the park and a shooting test, 2 shots off a rest at 100yrds, 2 shots standing with sticks at 60yrds,
2 shots kneeling with sticks at 40yrds all at a 4" target on a deer silhouette. Most of the group were caught out by the
very gusty wind conditions whilst standing using the sticks (me included) but one young lad rose to the challenge and shot a group that a person shooting off a bench rest would be proud of.(well done Scott)
For anyone who's not to sure about passing their DSC1 I would thoughly recommend this course, It taught me that I need to work on my shooting technique using sticks before I commit to take my DSC1.
Many thanks to Mark and Sue(good food) and the team, Sorry Rob for shooting your Fox on Saturday night I know you've been after it for a while :D :rofl: ,sorry but it still makes me laugh.​

Last edited:
Felt a bit bad, he'd been out every morn/evening for about 10 days, couldn't go that night because he was out with stalker.
He's a good bloke Rob, and I was grateful to be given the chance, just lucky:fox:

Last edited:
Ha ha yea ditto mark , congrats on the fox you really have got up his nose about that one :stir: maybe you need to give him a few pointers Adrian , and i also agree it was a completely brilliant weekend , i personally learnt a hell of allot and even if i don't take my Dsc1 straight away its certainly helped me with college work and work in itself, and yet after all this tutoring Adrian you still call antlers "Horns" :rofl:

Ha ha yea ditto mark , congrats on the fox you really have got up his nose about that one :stir: maybe you need to give him a few pointers Adrian , and i also agree it was a completely brilliant weekend , i personally learnt a hell of allot and even if i don't take my Dsc1 straight away its certainly helped me with college work and work in itself, and yet after all this tutoring Adrian you still call antlers "Horns" :rofl:
Sorry T Bob was just sitting here reading my section1 and cleaning my rifle :rofl:, what was that about antlers:zzz:

Without wishing to be negative I fail to see the point of such a course, isn't that what the dsc1 is designed for?

Frank

Without wishing to be negative I fail to see the point of such a course, isn't that what the dsc1 is designed for?

Frank

Id like to know the point also - the DSC is pretty basic stuff. I find it incredible there is even a pre-dsc1 now.
But then there has always been alot of money in running courses

Scotland I hear rumour is rejecting the DSC1 as it doesnt even carry a level of assessment of competence other than ability to hit a target

Sorry I just spent 45 mins writing a reply and just lost it somehow.

Level 1 is a long way from an introduction to deer stalking which is what a pre level 1 is.

PM those who attended or come along to see. I was very happy with the course as were those who attended. It cant be all bad as one of the candidates who had never shot deer has since bought a scope , Binos and put a down payment on a Tikka T3 . He is hooked and cant think of anything else. If you want to know more send me a PM. The price is £200.00 for the 2 days with as much range work as is needed , DVD of main points and a reduced price on the 1st stalk with us. Look at our website for more details.

Mark

Last edited:
Id like to know the point also - the DSC is pretty basic stuff. I find it incredible there is even a pre-dsc1 now.
But then there has always been alot of money in running courses

Scotland I hear rumour is rejecting the DSC1 as it doesnt even carry a level of assessment of competence other than ability to hit a target
I attended this course because I was not sure if I was ready to take my DSC1. The course for me was very beneficial as my shooting technique whilst standing with sticks in a strong cheek wind was found to be lacking. I am sure people on this site that have just passed there DSC1 will be interested on your view that basically you just have to shoot straight to pass. If Scotland are to reject the DSC1, why do they offer a grant of £200 pounds towards taking the DSC1 for people attending college/working on low income (ILA Scotland), not like the Scots to give money away :)

Last edited:
Good feedback guys and to an extent I can see where you are coming from so thanks for that

My comment re competence was mis-interpreted, as the issue is competence in the field ie the actual taking of an animal and processing through stages to the dealer.

Level 1 is a long way from an introduction to deer stalking which is what a pre level 1 is.

Mark
Wot is it u are saying

As L1 seems to Be a minimum
And as You are running such courses but openly admit they are not an introduction to deer stalking and now running a pre L1
Which is even further away
Are you just cashing in here ??
By your own words not mine

Mark
Wot is it u are saying

As L1 seems to Be a minimum
And as You are running such courses but openly admit they are not an introduction to deer stalking and now running a pre L1
Which is even further away
Are you just cashing in here ??
By your own words not mine

No your missing the point. In my opinion level one is not an introductory to stalking, it is a level one. while the candidate is allowed to go straight into a level if he or she wishes I think that even at that level the candidate should have spent time out in the field. Level 2 more so.

This course is a wide base for those interested in stalking. perhaps they have not got started yet, they may only be interested and want to see if it is going to suit them. Nobody should be going into level one "to learn" safety, shooting skills and stalking skills. At level one they should be proving their skills not learning them. As far as the point made in an earlier post about just shooting straight, well thats nonsence. Candidates fail all the time due to a number of reasons, they have to resit some parts and tonight I was talking to a chap who had taken level one and passed who was one of 5 out of 8 the other 3 failed.

If a candidate wants to come to us and practice the simulated stalk, safety and range work, find out where thier weaknesses are and then practice these skills before paying out for a level 1 then they are welcome. Certainly the feed back we receive shows that the course is of use and is wanted by some stalkers and would be stalkers.

If the safety side save one accident or the practical stalking inspires just one lad to take up our sport then good. And if by doing that I can help to protect the jobs of my staff in these hard times , even better. Who exactly are the loosers here?

Mark

If a candidate wants to come to us and practice the simulated stalk, safety and range work, find out where thier weaknesses are and then practice these skills before paying out for a level 1 then they are welcome. Certainly the feed back we receive shows that the course is of use and is wanted by some stalkers and would be stalkers.

If the safety side save one accident or the practical stalking inspires just one lad to take up our sport then good. And if by doing that I can help to protect the jobs of my staff in these hard times , even better. Who exactly are the loosers here?

Mark
Good point Mark, its clients money hard earned by them to spend with whome they choose to. If more recreational stalkers would allow novices into camp there would be no need for anything like this.
From the replies from those who attended you did good, now does anyone want to buy some squirrel stalking over a pointer?? (LOL wish I had time).

+1 Mark,

We always seem to get these characters who bitch about professional people running training/instructional courses - as if there's something wrong with it!!

The fact is that if nobody wanted such a course, such an opportunity to gain some good experience, then nobody would attend. We are certainly seeing a demand for it in our part of the world, so we'll certainly be looking at supplying similar opportunities for our customers.

Well done to you for providing these opportunities to beginners. It's a case of supply and demand. There's a demand, so supply that demand.

Keep up the good work mate.

Regards,

Mike
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Home | Jelen Deer Services

I think it is good that courses like this are available, for those who don't otherwise have the opportunity to be tutored in the fundamentals.

When I decided to get started I was very lucky to find a guide who first coached me in field shooting using a rimfire (sitting, kneeling, standing, with and without sticks, fenceposts, trees etc.). Then we stalked.

I took my first deer, observed the gralloch and helped skin and butcher it.

I consider myself lucky to have had this opportunity and it convinced me to take up the sport. I also learned that I had it in me to pull the trigger on a wild deer, a serious decision.

For me, this was the best "Pre-DSC1 course", but obviously its not possible for everyone to be given such a great start.

If I might make a suggestion, if it was possible to provide a practical gralloch demonstration including "hands on" inspection of the glands, that would be great. It would genuinely benefit the DSC1 candidate who might otherwise never have seen the insides of a deer, and filter out those who discover they don't actually want to deal with this, before making the investment in a full DSC1 course.

May not be practical without ready access to park or farm deer.

I think it is good that courses like this are available, for those who don't otherwise have the opportunity to be tutored in the fundamentals.

When I decided to get started I was very lucky to find a guide who first coached me in field shooting using a rimfire (sitting, kneeling, standing, with and without sticks, fenceposts, trees etc.). Then we stalked.

I took my first deer, observed the gralloch and helped skin and butcher it.

I consider myself lucky to have had this opportunity and it convinced me to take up the sport. I also learned that I had it in me to pull the trigger on a wild deer, a serious decision.

For me, this was the best "Pre-DSC1 course", but obviously its not possible for everyone to be given such a great start.

If I might make a suggestion, if it was possible to provide a practical gralloch demonstration including "hands on" inspection of the glands, that would be great. It would genuinely benefit the DSC1 candidate who might otherwise never have seen the insides of a deer, and filter out those who discover they don't actually want to deal with this, before making the investment in a full DSC1 course.

May not be practical without ready access to park or farm deer.

Many thanks for your comments John, Mike and Sharpie. The idea of the gralloch is important and we do try if we can get a beast in at the right time. together with this there is also a reduced rate on the first stalk for anyone taking the course so in a lot of cases a carcass will be obtained over the weekend. candidates can also stay in the cottage and make a weekend of it, so its not just as straight forward as a simple course. John knows what sort of a crack we have here, Rob, myself and the other guides, so it is more like a weekend away with the boys, BUT the infomation goes in and stays there and some good friendships have been made that will last.

Kindest regards

Mark

Back