.17rim fire

IanLuc

Thinking about getting a .17 as I have had a slot on my cert for the last few years. I was going to buy a CZ in stainless and synthetic but have seen you can buy a browning T bolt for the same sort of money. What do you all think ??? Thanks Ian.

Nothing wrong with a .17 CZ Ian. Great value and more accurate than you will ever be and that's no slur on your ability I can assure you!

buy the T bolt buy trouble,,,,great gun but if you start getting into bushes for a bit of bunny stalking you can catch the bolt handle and pull it open,,,you go for a shot pull the trigger and click nothing happens because you have thrown the round out.

paul

Just Got rid of a cz455 in 17 couldn't get on with it and it was loud, just got a sako quad in 17 shoots a lot better and is quieter even thou using the same mod, I have a t bolt in 22 and it is superb and never had a problem catching the bolt

I just sold my T-bolt. Trigger was to heavy for me and I didn't like the way the bolt could come open even when made safe. It only happened when slung over my shoulder when wearing my belt with all gadgets on it and the bolt would catch on the belt.. Other than that I loved it.

Replaced it with a CZ. better trigger but heavier. Go for a 16" barrel.

which .17?
HMR or M2?

another Sako Quad fan here I am afraid. lots of second hand items that look better prospects than new CZ/Browning options

I have the CZ455 thumbhole Varmint and an excellent bit of kit.Its got an LEI stainless mod on it thats not the quietest but good enough for me.

I too have a Sako quad in walnut but with the 22lr and 22WMR barrels, stunning rifle, very high build quality, shoots bang on and has a more full size rifle feel, 22lr with Sak mod is like a spring air rifle with noise and a PCP with recoil!

22WMR bit more kick, the Sak mod works great on that one too! I did have a choice between the 17hmr and the 22wmr and went with the 22 as the new 30gr V-max from Hornady are amazingly high quality and very very accurate (keyholes at 100 yards) even with my smoking hands!

OT: My mate has a 17hmr from Mauser which he picked up for £150 with mod, shoots nice out to 100 yards, light as a feather but the bolt you have to be rough with to get it to cycle properly even after a good clean but for £150 can't go wrong.

had the sako quad and liked it, but found that i was not happy clunking it around the bushes, to nice a rifle,

had a few cz's over the years and i went back to a cz 452 16" varmint dm 80 mod i have had for years and a zeiss duralyt on top, can't fault it, done the trigger myself and it shoots better than me most nights,

IMO: the cz is a cracking tool and will out last most of us on the planet, not the best trigger on the market, but just as good accuracy wise as any other 17hmr on the market.

enjoy all the do's and don't, but its you who has to shoot it and look at it every time you take it out, so make sure your happy and sod the rest of us,

bob.

If you go down the CZ route, unless it's been done by the previous owner, do a trigger kit as soon as you buy. This fifteen minute job transforms these little rifles. I have two, love them both .22lr and 17hmr.

I'm lucky enough to have an Anschutz 17/17 but I don't think they are available in this country any more. Aftyer that I would go for either a Weihrauch or a Cz. The first of those is a very good rifle indeed, but Czs are excellent.

Friend of mine has a Ruger M77 .17 HMR up for grabs, has timney trigger fitted, cracking little rifle, can send details to you if you wish.

If you can, spend the extra and go for an Anschutz. When you shoot it you'll know where the extra money went!

I've got the 15/17 and love it to bits.

ATB Lee

I have the Marlin VS in 17hmr. Very accurate but you need to check the bolt handle is down same as Browning. :thumb:

Hi I'm new here but thought I'd add my tuppence , I've shot foxes and rabbits for 4 years now with my cz452 .17hmr and found it to be the perfect lambing gun , it's dead easy to use and not as susceptible to wind as made out . It also has a much lower ricochet risk than a .22 . Mines a 452 American 16" varmint barrel with sound mod and a 12 mag bushnell scope . Really usefull tool when you just want a kill with no fuss . It also has double the range of a .22 in my opinion .

Back