Scottish roe bucks

Pro_guitar

Evening all,

i was wondering how everone was getting on with their buck culling up here in scotland, i can appreciate its early days but all ive seen is about 12 does on my permission of forestry so far in the last couple of weeks and not even a hint of one buck in sight.

8 so far and good numbers showing with some decent looking heeds going about too.All of them in good strip possibly with the mild winter and grassed a nice one thats sitting at around 600g so could make gold.Weather is keech so not getting oot as much but hopefully it clears soon.

Sinbad,

is East Lancs in Scotland? just curious:norty:

arh, just having a laugh.

anyhow, I've seen a few, two good heads, but nothing 'special', all the yearlings around my (east) side of the Borders seem to still be in full velvet. Seen an older buck in velvet too...suss..

Out 5 days of the season so far & have 13 bucks to show for it. :D

Some are still in velet, but knocked out some of the crappy bucks regardless.

Unfortunately so, all because the land owner is a complete w*nker!

He has 3000 acres of arable crops which holds a huge head of deer, he is of the opinion that deer are crop eating vermin & all he sees should die... a right c**t!

To keep him happy & secure my stalking i try to take as many animals as i can to keep him sweet, leaving the mature bucks/does & knock out all the young stuff.

Its a hard job, but someone has to do it.
If i dont, he wont be long in finding a willing replacement for me.

Had Eleven so far 5 six pointers a couple of close range clean-misses
and one dry fire (safety still on ) all balls-ups from the same guy:doh:

Still stuck at sea; back onshore 5th May so looking to put some effort in then.
Any photos of your 600g beast ?

ATB

Craigievar Killer

8 so far and good numbers showing with some decent looking heeds going about too.All of them in good strip possibly with the mild winter and grassed a nice one thats sitting at around 600g so could make gold.Weather is keech so not getting oot as much but hopefully it clears soon.

East lancs is where I live, not where I shot the roe bucks PKL:lol:. All were shot on the scottish borders one 5 and one 6 pointer, both clean, and a young buck still in velvet.
Not touched any close to home yet, may try for one or two on sunday mate:thumb:.
Sinbad

East lancs is where I live, not where I shot the roe bucks PKL:lol:. All were shot on the scottish borders one 5 and one 6 pointer, both clean, and a young buck still in velvet.
Not touched any close to home yet, may try for one or two on sunday mate:thumb:.
Sinbad

Deer stalking on a Sunday - i hope the stalk is planned for after church. :p

now that's an intersting one,,,what are your views on stalking on sundays?..of course, in no way trying to hijack the thread..in fact will post separately to avoid treading on toes.

Roe buck

Was on the farm last Saturday morning ( only with air rifle this time ) as farmer wanted some pigeons removed, but went into the woods and managed to get within 20 ft of a Roe buck ! cracking looking beast he was......until i noticted he only had three legs !!! , the farmer had told he had seen this deer last year as well.

Now the full back leg was off but it looked like it had happened in an accident at some stage (didn't look like it was born that way) and I was wondering if this animal had been treated by someone and released back into the wild , i would have thought that loosing a full leg it would have bled to death but i don't know much about what level of injuries a deer can sustain and still survive ?

When it eventually noticed me it made off with all the speed and grace of a deer with four legs and it also looked perfectly healthy ........... any thoughts on this lads

I can't shoot it anyway on this farm I would need to wait and see if it comes over to my other farm thats not far from this one.

Was on the farm last Saturday morning ( only with air rifle this time ) as farmer wanted some pigeons removed, but went into the woods and managed to get within 20 ft of a Roe buck ! cracking looking beast he was......until i noticted he only had three legs !!! , the farmer had told he had seen this deer last year as well.

Now the full back leg was off but it looked like it had happened in an accident at some stage (didn't look like it was born that way) and I was wondering if this animal had been treated by someone and released back into the wild , i would have thought that loosing a full leg it would have bled to death but i don't know much about what level of injuries a deer can sustain and still survive ?

When it eventually noticed me it made off with all the speed and grace of a deer with four legs and it also looked perfectly healthy ........... any thoughts on this lads

I can't shoot it anyway on this farm I would need to wait and see if it comes over to my other farm thats not far from this one.

leave it, why not, it's perfectly fine. equally, you wouldn't put down a dog with three legs that's recovered.

sunday stalking

Never had an ethical problem with regard to stalking on sundays, works well for me during the pheasant season (mrs sinbad does not share the same opinion though:-|). I have offered to take her with me but the response isnt printable.
Seriously though,I do a lot of emergency work that can spill into saturdays, so its sundays or no days a lot of the time.:thumb:
Sinbad

Its amazing how many cope with loosing a leg, I shot a red hind a few years ago that had no front feet both had been cut off no idea how it happened but the they had healed and she was walking OK on the stumps, have also had several Roe with three legs.

Have know idea of the percentage that survive with this type of injury.

Back