Camp & stalk

stig

Thinking about taking a run over to one of my permissions with a mate. Small wood of about 70acres but plenty of munties about and the odd fallow (I believe). We're both coming from different places and quite time constrained so thinking of camping. RV at 6:30ish, stalk/highseat individually, set-up camp, eat, maybe try lamping for foxes, up early doors for another stalk then home. I fear the lamping might be 1 disturbance too much? And as for camping (in the wood), what are people's views/experiences? Hints, tips, advice?

Thanks,

Stig

Sounds like heaven, and I don't think the lamping will bother the munties too much. The only possible problem I can foresee is storing any carcasses shot soon after arrival, unless it's a cold night.

storing guns might be a worry

As soon as I read the opening post I knew this would come up in short order.....

Stig, soounds like a good way to do an overnight stalk. I would probably skip the lamping expedition and just enjoy the deer.

I intend to have a weekend like this on an island in Lough Erne next month - fishing not stalking obviously.

hi mate i have just got a permission on fc ground ,camping and hunting is what i wanted to do . after spending time in nz hunting from tents and huts its a fantastic way to go. I think for me it really makes sence as you are on the ground with little disturbance and off stalking straight away. me personally wouldnt lamp a ground i was stalking in the day time just to keep disturbance down to a minimum . I have a hammock with intenal midge net and basha so my gear can stay dry if weather turns. enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on ,atb wayne

Personally I'd find a local b&b check in go out for a stalk in the evening, back to b&b head down up early again and back out, then when you've finished your stalk back for breakfast stuff packed and home, but that's just because I hate camping lol.

I do this on our ground all the time no real problem, rifle gets chained up in the boot of the car and bolt and bulllets in bottom of sleeping bag. Two things take plenty of fresh water and also its very difficult to get dry again once wet. Its a great way to do it although I have to say I did s**t a little bit last time I was up when I woke up early hours to hear something moving round my tent :scared: turned out to be charlie come for a nosey. I also find my Labrador 'hot water bottle' especially useful when the temp drops a bit

010.jpg

The "dining room" on my last outing.
Slept in the car with a full size airbed, very quiet. up and at 'em early as you like in "silence".

Just remember to take off the child locks on the back doors when you are sleeping in an estate car. Can be tricky climbing over the front seats to get out!!

Go for it, I camp for 2 weeks in the woods in the USA, gun beside my bed, same goes for over here, at one weekend for driven vermin we have upto twenty guns overnight.

Cant see how you would be in breach of your FAC conditions if your rifle was in your maggot sac with you and the bolt and ammo where in the car!!
That's got to be classed as in your possession.
As long as you don't polish of a bottle of red with your liver and onions crack on.:D

Mereside, would that be a Hennesy hammock, Great bit of kit, used it in NZ and brought it back. Light, comfortable, easy to put up and take down. Wonderful!

bob i nearly got a hennesy but i went for a green hornet one with built in midge net its two layer base as well so it is warm very comfy i took mine to nz as well it can be put on the ground like a bivvy if no trees available its spot on. on the firearms side i cant see a problem if the rifle is in your possesion in the tent even with ammo as long as its not left unattended . if you need to leave it locking it in the boot of the car is acceptable,atb wayne

I have this one, very comfortable, surprisingly so. Mossie net is great too as I use it for highland fishing trips, I have a 4 piece fly rod and just head out travelling really light, its great. I would love to try a stalking trip in that fashion. Only downside is you have to find some trees.. not always easy in some parts of the highlands.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit : with my hammock, and I would imagine most others with built in nets you string a line under your tarp (if you are using one) the gun could be slung from this, it would be right above your head and you wouldn't have to go "spoons" with it in your bag.
The DD Travel Hammock

Last edited:
Stig,

I used to camp when I had some ground in the borders. We used to drive up Friday night, get on the ground after dark and go straight to bed. I used a pop up tent, which took seconds to pitch. I used to have my rifle next to me in its case.

It was great fun.

Cheers,

Bob

Got my eye on 1 of these: 370604471819 ebay
Looks good as i've already got a tarp to use with it.
Pretty cheap too.

What do you think??

Daz

Got my eye on 1 of these: 370604471819 ebay
Looks good as i've already got a tarp to use with it.
Pretty cheap too.

What do you think??
Daz
Looks ok although for light traveling the ally poles would be a pain, the DD one that I have packs up really small and is light too, its well made, rated to 160kg I seem to remember. it also has a double layered base with a zip so you can fit a bedroll inside it. I have a light weight self inflating roll that goes in nicely, its very comfy.

Think the poles breakdown and it all fits into a compression sack.

Looks well made

Daz

Back