Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HWVs and GWPs

HWVs and GWPs

I know theres some GWP people on here, has anyone any experience of HWVs
    Is one more laid back than the other, is one easier to train than the other
    When Oscar is a bit older and "wiser" I would like to start another dog.
    With the intention that its big enough to carry a goose, beat, and useful enough for whatever stalking I do.

Must be "easy" to train (no such dog, I know)

Re: HWVs and GWPs

Quote Originally Posted by The Croc
    I would like to start another dog.
    With the intention that its big enough to carry a goose, beat, and useful enough for whatever stalking I do.

Must be "easy" to train (no such dog, I know)

If thats what you want forget about the HPR breeds and get yourself a decent well bred working Lab.

It'll do more than you want, will cost you 1/2 the price to buy and insure and will give you years of pleasurable ownership.

You could even pick yourself up a 9- 18 month rescue dog from one of breed societies if you make it know what you are looking for and will take one at short notice.

My partner was given a 10 month old choclate lab 18 months ago, i am not a big fan of choclate labs in fact i always said i would never have one, but i am now having to eat my words.

He is the best deer dog i have owned, all be only the second one.

earlier this month he did me proud finding 4 deer on a big deer movment day not far from me.

good luck cookingfat

Like Cookingfat I'm not a big lab fan, but at the moment I'm only thinking out loud.

The other alternative is a Flatcoat

If you can find a decent one you'll pay a small fortune for it. The gene pool is getting exceedingly small these days. I have a good friend who is a big Flatcoat fan even he has given them up after 30 years of owning, working and breeding them. They mature very slowly mentally. Given time you often find there's no difference in their working abilities when compared to Labs, apart from the Lab has got there 2-3 years earlier.

Good luck in your search for what suits you. Its as much fun as choosing a new motor vehicle, just harder to get rid of it should you find you've got it wrong, as by then the wife and kids will have fallen in love with the mistake.

You could be different and try a German Long haired Pointer? I have a GWP and a Viszla, but the GLP seems to be a good dog to try?, heard good things about them.

A few notes from the KC breed standard guide

A few notes from the KC breed standard guide

Longhairs are much happier doing what they have been designed for, rather that acting as a pure retriever sitting at a peg on a driven shoot.

Something of a fidget arse then.

Nor are they suitable for people that are away from home for long periods in the day or for those that live in cities or where they cannot be run freely.

Suffer from separation anxiety and are chewers, likes chasing pigeons in the park

At least one to two hours' exercise a day is required, rain or shine. It is expected for them to work all day and their energy is inexhaustible.

Gets bored easily and looks for ways to amuse its self. Takes off after the nearest scent as soon as you let it out of the landrover.

They are very intelligent and therefore easily trained but it should be noted that it is not a hardheaded breed and would be sensitive to harsh training.

Bit of a softy and sulks a lot if you tell it off.[/b]

I obtained my HWV at nearly five years old after the previous owner emigrated. He had been used for alot of walk/stand style gameshooting and had picked up one or two bad habits by the time I got him, mainly he runs unless anchored to something very substantial.

He is my first HPR and I use him mainly for wildfowling, beating and small scale game shooting. Oh, and a bit of stalking, he has discovered a real passion for deer recently and I reckon if he had undergone an appropriate training regime when younger would have a really classy deer dog.

Temperement can be summed up easily, SOFT. I find him more willing to please and easier to handle than my previous Lab, but he was a stubborn old sod. Another plus for me is his colour and coat is perfect camoflage when out on the marsh.

Ive had GLP's but they were German dogs (i was living in Germany). Very hard to get in the UK and like a lot HPR's not as biddable as Labs etc. Ive gone back to Munsterlanders afer two generations of GLP's as they were easier to get in the UK, still a headstong breed and not the easiest to train, i would say that they are generally independant thinkers which if they understand their role will be excellent. I have friends with HWV and they are not as good with children as a LM, (perhaps a consideration?). My third choice would be a GWP of which when il ived in Germany most of my hunting friend had.

A scottish keeper / stalker bred lab is still hard to beat over here.

Apart from its actual intended use and integration into your family and lifestyle, think about whats required from you (experience / skill / time) to train the chosen dog, i found my two ML quite trying this time round.

Either way its still going to br huge fun.
    Best regards

I worked the first ever HWV in Britain her name Amber.She was a top dog and worked very steady needed a calm kind hand and would respond with gusto. I then bred her and kept a pup every one knows well his name Buck and he has made a top deer dog .He is nearing the end of his stalking days at nine years old and hopefully i will get his replacement this year.HIS REPLACEMENT WILL BE A HWV THAT SHOULD SAY A LOT