Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first solo stalk

first solo stalk

hi all, my mate asked me to give a hand with a gamekeeper friend of his and i ended up with 2000 acres of land to stalk with muntys fallow and maybe some roe. I decided to go out last night to have a look round and took the rifle just in case. To be honest this was to be my first stalk solo and i was hoping that i dident see anything because i was so worried about making a mess of things.Anyway i walked up the side of a ride trying to remember all the things that i have been taught by all you guys and i spotted movement in the bushes with the binos and froze on the spot. After a few seconds a fairly big munty doe edged out of the bushes and just stood and looked at me, so i gently set my sticks up and waited for her to turn broadside. She turned but stayed chest on, so i took the shot. The doe went down and i reloaded and waited a good few mins watching her with the binos she just lay there not moving and i guessed it was a good shot. I walked up and checked her eye for any reaction and there was none so i had to sit down due to shaking like a leaf and collect my thoughts.After a while i decided to gralloch the doe and to be honest this is the part i really worried about having only ever had a go with other people to help. I remembered what i had been told and i even suprised myself with how much i had taken in just watching other people. With the gralloch done, i had a fag to celibrate my first ever solo deer taken by me with my own rifle and my own home loaded ammo on my own ground. This day i will remember for ever regards tonyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	first stalk.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	14758

Congratulations on a successful first time out alone and what a result on getting some ground of your own!

I do have to say that my first thought when I saw the picture was,....where's the rest of it?

"If you don't belong, don't be long"

Well done mate!
    Sounds like it will be the first of many!

well done buddy, let the fun begin

have you got any Pic,s of the Deer fully dressed !!!! looks one helluva Munty Doe

Well done Tony, still waiting for mine.

Well done, first solo stalk and a result!

My Hunting Blog: click here

well done tony on your solo stalk and 1 in the bag made up for you mate

Well done fella... I remember my first and can remember that exact same shake, but bloody hell what a feeling!

BTW my first munty ended up looking a bit like that because I clipped something (or bone did) in front of the diaphragm and it was a bit messy up the front end (luckily the diaphragm kept the mess contained up one end so i "butchered" as you have done)

Would love to see the rest of the beast if you have a photo...

Well done!