Jetbeam batteries (18650)

Tackleberry270

Has anyone got any knowledge out there on the best make of batteries to use with a Jetbeam BC40? I want to use the rechargeable 18650 Li ion type.

My two main queries are,

1. There are so many dodgy makes out there which are the quality ones to look for and where to get them from?

2. They also range from 2100 mAh to 3800 mAh. If a 3800mAh will last longer surley it would be best to go for these (or have I missed something)?

Has anyone made any mistakes and damaged their torch?

Thanks.

I've found that these batteries are much of a muchness. I suspect that the higher claims for mAH capacity are measured generously, as I've not noticed any difference in battery life between the lower end of the quoted range and the top end.

The main problem I find with them is the variation in length. Some are so much over the specified length that they won't fit into a charger without a little modification.

I recently got another four from E Bay. They came from China but most things do these days.
The price varies considerably so it's best you do your own search, some even include the charger at the same price as for two batteries from another dealer.

I've found that these batteries are much of a muchness. I suspect that the higher claims for mAH capacity are measured generously, as I've not noticed any difference in battery life between the lower end of the quoted range and the top end.

The main problem I find with them is the variation in length. Some are so much over the specified length that they won't fit into a charger without a little modification.

Looks like a bit of a minefield to me. I wonder why they vary in size so much. Pretty much all the 'A' type batteries on the market are to a standard size whether cheap or well known.

Fisher - what make did you go with?

Looks like a bit of a minefield to me. I wonder why they vary in size so much. Pretty much all the 'A' type batteries on the market are to a standard size whether cheap or well known.

Fisher - what make did you go with?

I've never heard of the brand before, but on the side it reads GTL 18650 Li-ion 3.7v 3800mAh

Im still using the original batteries mine ca,me with. Still hold a good charge adn ghet 3 or 4 outings before they need charging. Increased mah wont damage the torch, just make sure the voltage is the same.

I've also bought GTL 18650 Li-ion 3.7v 3800mAh, for a number of LED torches, on the basis of the high rated capacity. They come from China, but seem fine (no issues with variable length or fit in torches. They are quite cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if they were less durable then "genuine" brand batteries.

The only thing I would make you aware of is that the torch dosen't go dim as the battery charge reduces; what happens (at least in my experience) is that the torch stops working on high power but still works on the lower power and strobe modes. If you persist using the torch it starts flickering on the lower power mode. The first time it happened I thought my genuine Ultrafire torch had packed in! in fact you just need to charge the battery and all is well.

What you want is some (genuine) panasonic - one of very very few makes that come close to specified mAh - I got my last pair on ebay here: 300694905602 They are the only ones I'd get to be honest, they do protected versions too, which are as has been mentioned larger.

there was a write up on cheap Lithium on BBS a while back.
I ignored it and spent £20 and free shipping for a 9800mAh battery from China.
Arrived promptly, didnt explode when I charged it, now sits in my Aim stock bag and powers a Deben Tri Star LED lamp.

I used it continually to light the tent for over 5 hours when camping one night, just when I thought it was dead, I would flick it off for 5 mins, turn it back on and get another 45 mins!

12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Pack | eBay

Last edited:
I think I've got some new Greer's that came from Inovatech that are surplus. PM me if interested and I'll check. As they're second hand, I'm sure they'll be good value...

Back