Thread: Late season Fallow buck

Late season Fallow buck

Myself and Bandit Country set off to our fallow patch first thing this morning. So we take it in turns to stalk or head for a position and wait.
    BC had the stalk this morning so I dropped him off to stalk the path which runs around the wood while I parked the truck and decided to take a look over the clearing right on top of the wood. It's too dark to see anything first thing inside the wood as it's a mixture of conifer and broadleaf.
    After it got light enough to stalk I made my way down through the wood to a little re-entrant that the fallow use and wait up there for when BC stalks towards my position. Got to within 50m of final position when I came face to face with a nice fallow, it looked like it was on a mission as it came to an abrupt halt when we 'bumped' into each other at about 20m. Needless to say it was gone before I could react.
    So stalk the rest of the way and waited for BC to come, nothing else was seen by both of us and eventually BC came through one of the deer paths. A quick 'debreif' was had and then we walked back towards one of the tracks that cross the wood.
    As we got to an intersection, there is a stock fence that runs the whole circumfrance of the wood below the clearfell top area. I glanced up and noticed a pair of legs emerging down the stock fence so up on the sticks and a buck was ID'd. I had a slightly better view than BC due to the trees. He paused for a brief second and I sent the 150gr Pro Hunter on it's way to his neck at 70m. Down he fell to the shot.
    We decided with this patch of ground that if you see it first and are able to take the shot then you do (safety first of course) becuase after a couple of 'missed' opertunities. One was saying to another where the beast was etc and by the time you pointed out where it was it was gone. Resulting in no deer in the cooler.
    So set him up for a suspended gralloch with the folding gambrel set up I made and BC headed of for the truck as we were close to a track that we could get the vehicle to.
    So a good end to another stalking trip.

He should go around the 90-95lb mark.

All I need to do now is wash the works truck before the boss sees it tomorrow morning when he comes in

Nice one pal..

Hope theres two of you cleaning the truck

Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Nice pricket Jonathon, well done.

Stole a nice one from Chris there Jono, well done mate.

He'll even the score soon I'm sure.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    Stole a nice one from Chris there Jono, well done mate.

He'll even the score soon I'm sure.

. I'm sure he will mate.

See you soon.