A nice 6 pointer plus video of shot

I was due to fly back to Norway on Friday so I though I would sneak out for one last stalk on Thursday evening with my brother James as the weather was good. We arrived at the terrain quite early so we could have a quick scan around before setting up in an area where we had previously seen two small bucks. Having carefully scanned the surrounding fields nothing was showing so we made our way towards the target area, I had decided that we would lie out in the middle of a field hidden by a small rocky patch and some reeds approximately 150 meters from the forest edge.

After about an hour and a half of scanning with the binoculars I spotted a deer on the forest edge, but it was too far away to identify if it was buck so James got the video camera ready to get some close up footage and it quickly became apparent that the deer was a doe. She eventually came out into the field to graze and did so for over an hour and a half totally unaware of our presence and allowing us to get some nice footage.

After about one hour of watching her James spotted another deer on the forest edge and we could clearly see that this was a buck, but unfortunately it slipped back into the forest without presenting a chance for a shot. We lay in the field and continued to watch the roe doe as the temperature got colder and as the light slowly began to fade, then suddenly out the corner of my eye, I spotted a dark figure creeping out into the field about 200 meters away. Up with the binoculars I could see the horns above the ears so I knew it was a buck, quickly and quietly I positioned myself with the rifle whilst James readied the camera, both of us trying desperately not to spook the doe who was now only 75 meters in front of us. After what seemed like 10 minutes of slowly positioning myself I was finally comfortable and had a steady rest with the buck in my cross hairs, James gave me the nod and I took the shot.

I was standing on sticks and my brother was lying on the ground filming so the camera angle is deceptive, the bullet having passed through will have grounded out in the ground infront of the stone wall.

The shot was high and clipped the spine causing the animal to drop on the spot, I quickly reloaded but there was no further movement, so we gave him 5 minutes before making our way over. When we got there he had expired so we quickly took a couple of photo's and I lasered the range which was 175 meters.

P4120260.jpg

53fad81a.jpg

A big thank you to both Steve & James for all their time and help during my stay, I'm already counting down the days to my return in the summer.

Where is the pc brigade when you need them? Failed level one there. Backstop. A fence and a dyke. No way a safe shot. And no you cannot say the rifle angle was different.
Now hands up how many would have turned down the shot?

Where is the pc brigade when you need them? Failed level one there. Backstop. A fence and a dyke. No way a safe shot. And no you cannot say the rifle angle was different.

Here we go! :rolleyes:

I can say that the angle is different to that on the camera as I was the one looking through the scope, NOT YOU! and I could see that the bullet having passed through the deer would go into the ground.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to go to all the effort of posting stuff up! :-|

Nice clip and write up, we wern't there so who can say whether we would have took the shot it always looks different from the camera anyway just ask john robson he has had plenty of the same unjustifed stick in the past.
And the very same reason when i post vids i very rarely film the shot. DF

many thanks for video's plus write ups,all ways great to hear some one else's adventures,you keep um coming mate happy hunting

Great write up and even better video - much better than just words alone. Keep em coming!!

All the best

Lakey

I don't know jimbo, that's a stone wall behind that buck. I've been behind mud walls with Iraqi militia pummelling 7.62x39 into them and we were safe. I think it would take a lot of hits from that 30'06 to get through that wall, even if the bullet hadn't already gone through a buck from 175 yards away. Plus, we weren't there and we've been told that the guy with the camera was prone, while Johner was stood up with rifle on sticks, and i know from watching many of Johns (YDS) vids that the angle can make a lot of difference.

Looks like a good shot and a good buck. Nice one mate:D

Can't see why the criticism for the shot. Nothing at all wrong with it, particularly as the man was shooting off sticks and shooting down anyway. Fine shot at range and a good kill - and well done you. Nice interesting post so don't give up putting them on just over a bit of undeserved criticism.
Will

The beast went straight down, good enough shot as far as i can see. Keep em coming, always nice to see!!

Backstop. Is there not a massive brick wall directly behind that deer? Very small chance of ricochet perhaps but thats up to the person pulling the trigger to decide not someone sat in an armchair thinking they know better cos they've done DSC!

Looks like a memorable outing. Don't let anyone taint it for you!

Well done John. Great shot and great footage. Your brother has a steady hand with the camera and would put mine to shame!

Back