Training book

Guilty of knowing nothing about both books i still ask the question "tracking is tracking is it not?"

Suggest you buy them on Amazon.

There are Formula 1 Cars and there are Lada's. They are both cars but there is a difference. Same with tracking.

Ah such an enlightening analogy.

You know most of us deer hunters in Victoria use our dogs for multi purpose tracking whether it be deer,fox,rabbit,hare,pig,quail running in the stubble rows whatever the quarry and when it comes down to working your dog it equates to the fact that tracking is just that....tracking!

Yes, specifically good if you want to track black bears. For deer I recommend Sondergaard's.
A bit mean on Jeanneny's book! Only one chapter on bears... (at least in the 2nd Ed.)
1 General tracking techniques
2 The tracking dog and scent
3 Selecting a tracking dog prospect
4 Dog breeds: the scent hounds
5 Dog breeds: spaniels, pointing dogs and retrievers
6 Dog breeds: curdogs and cowdogs
7 Dog breeds: old breeds with a new mission
8 Basic training for blood tracking
9 Advanced training for blood tracking
10 Special tracking situations: wounds in the body cavity
11 Special tracking situations: wounds outside the body cavity
12 Tracking wounded bears
13 Putting down live wounded deer
14 Equipment for tracking
15 Handlers and hunting
16 The tracking dog in the family
17 The tracking dog for guides and outfitters
18 Tracking tests
19 Questions and answers
20 Regional tracking traditions
21 Conclusion

A good book, around 350 pages...

I have Sondergaard's book too. Good luck finding a copy though...

It was supposed to be a lightharted comment.

I am, or was (have not looked) mentioned on his website as recommending the book! But it does deal mainly about teckels and conditions and restrictions in the USA.
Sondergaard's is European and geared towards the larger dogs and includes areas like totverbellen that Jeannery does not.

But Jeannery's comment that he "tracks Black Bears with his dachshund but not at night is priceless."

Ah such an enlightening analogy.

You know most of us deer hunters in Victoria use our dogs for multi purpose tracking whether it be deer,fox,rabbit,hare,pig,quail running in the stubble rows whatever the quarry and when it comes down to working your dog it equates to the fact that tracking is just that....tracking!

The one thing I have learned is that people do things differently in different countries!

It was supposed to be a lightharted comment.

I am, or was (have not looked) mentioned on his website as recommending the book! But it does deal mainly about teckels and conditions and restrictions in the USA.
Sondergaard's is European and geared towards the larger dogs and includes areas like totverbellen that Jeannery does not.

But Jeannery's comment that he "tracks Black Bears with his dachshund but not at night is priceless."
Apologies!

Back