Must have's on a stalk

JohnyC

Hi All,
sorry if this has been covered before, but i would like to know what all you experienced stalkers think are the must have items when out stalking?
Obviously the rifle etc..... but what are the the things you cant do without?
and where do you get these things from?
thanks
John
(new stalker)

Have a read through the threads in the Equipment section - for example Starter kit

I have cobbled my list together just by reading all the equipment threads - as you'll see slightly further down this forum Uttings or Scott Country are good places to look to get kit at decent prices :)

Rifle, sharp knife, binoculars. Everything else is a luxury! (The bino's are not even 100% necesserrary)

The rifle does not need to be Tactical, nor does the scope need to 2.5-35x56. The knife does not need a compass and sewing kit in the handle.

I will conceed that your FAC if not on your own land may be a good idea.

Essentials.

Rifle
Ammo
Sharp Knife
Binos
Suitable clothing for the weather conditions
Knife sharpener
Shooting Sticks

Optionals
Rubber gloves
Deer Drag
First Aid Kit
Mobile Phone
Camera
Loo Roll
Food + Water

That is all I have ever taken and I have never really wanted for anything else.

Rifle, sharp knife, binoculars. Everything else is a luxury! (The bino's are not even 100% necesserrary)

The rifle does not need to be Tactical, nor does the scope need to 2.5-35x56. The knife does not need a compass and sewing kit in the handle.

I will conceed that your FAC if not on your own land may be a good idea.

In my opinion the binos are necessary..I would not leave the house without them.
I usually bring some bogroll with me just in case I get short taken. All my other gear is the usual stuff. Small bottle of water aswell to keep the thirst away...

Access to a good local French restaurant, ideally one built under a brothel and opposite a really good B&B and pub.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the list above but would add a good torch, perhaps more than one, as an necessity as I tend to shoot sika in forestry at last light.

To the optionals, but really nice to have, I would add some of those glow/light sticks that you snap and they then produce a good light for up to about 36 hours. When it is clear that I will be following up a deer into forestry at last light I usually snap one and drop it at the spot from where I took the shot. I will then walk to where I thought the deer was standing and drop another one. If I know the deer ran to the left then even in the dark I can see this line and I know that it is a last resort to search on the right hand side of it. If the heather is high then I might leave my sticks in the ground and attach the light stick or tie it to a tree. I also use two light sticks for marking a blood trail, if I find any, putting one on the last drop of blood I saw and then hunting until I can put the one in my hand on the next drop, then I go back and retrieve the previous one etc.

OP asked for a list of must haves, but has gotten a list of wants and would likes , other than the rifle and ammunition
everthing else is extras, now I would want binos and knife at least and possibly a few extra bits and pieces though its possible if not ideal to stalk without any of these even the knife if you know how.

A headlamp is useful. Often shot on dusk or wait in position until after sunset and return to camp in the dark. Flagging tape also useful to mark your shooting position, game position and blood trails when tracking a lost one. I always carry a space blanket and a small first aid kit too. If you have ahalf decent knife it should gut and hock multiple deer without sharpening so you can leave sharpening gear in your camp. A bit of cord is useful sometimes and some bright cloth/plastic to dress your deer so it is not shot again by another stalker when it is on your back .

Back