Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is dead - honest !

This is dead - honest !

I'm trying to attach a picture to this post but it's the first time I've done it and I'm really not all sure I've done it correctly. I'll soon find out once I post this new thread and, if it's not there, well then I'm sorry and I'll have another go.

It's a picture of my lastest piece - a diving sparrowhawk - and I'm quite chuffed with it so I've bunged it in a case.

There's another taxidermist down south called Mike Gadd and, like Stuart Jefferies who advertises on SD, he's fantastic at his work. I saw a photo in a magazine of a goshawk he'd done in this diving pose and I was that impressed I decided to have a go at it myself. So in all honesty the pose wasn't my idea - I just plain out and out nicked it from Mike (sorry Mike) - but the work's all mine.

It sort of works better with a gos, but they're not that easy to come by and I didn't have one anyway so I just had to make do and work with this female spar that I had in the freezer.

I did it just as a try-out to see if I could pull it off so it's sort of what you might call a bit of an apprentice piece. Took me bloody ages, but I like it and I think it works kind of OK and I'm hoping all you lot think so too.

Comments welcome.

Here goes then - I'm hitting the "Submit New Thread" and fingers crossed ! If I have done it right then it might appear as a thumbnail which I think means you have to click on it to enlarge it.

Will Gallant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spar diving.jpg  
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

WOW! That looks very well done!
    Nice 1

Thank you my friend. I'm glad you like it.
    (this is to Russian Sniper but I hit the wrong button !)
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Looks braw thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Looks braw thanks for sharing.

You're welcome and I'm glad you like it and thanks for the very nice comment.
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    nice mount
    Many thanks.
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Cool, how is it suspended?
    Glad you like it and thanks. To attach it in the case I cinched a strong double wire through the mannikin with the tails of the wire kept quite long. That's why it took so long as I had to split the skin at the back of the bird as well as the front so I had room to get those long tails through. They then pass through the back of the case and are secured into a block of wood and then fibreglassed to stop them ever working loose. Then I had to set the bird up and dress the skin and feathers while it was in the case, and that wasn't at all easy. I did it as a bit of a challenge just to see if I could in fact do it. I bit off a bit more than I could chew to be honest as it turned into a bloody nightmare because I'd never done a bird in flight against nothing but sky as a background before so there wasn't a convenient branch or rock to attach it to !! But I'm really pleased with the way it turned out in the end, and next time I do one like that I'll at least have been through the learning curve already so I'll know what to do and how to do it.
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    More good birds Will. As it's a Sparrowhawk how about next time one diving through/into some cover after a small bird. You know wings back , legs forward. Don't think I've seen that before.
    Good work again.