Making a gun room ?

Devil_Bri

A friend of mine is thinking about making a "gunroom" under his stairs.
anyone know what the security spec should be ? i.e wall material- block, sheet metal, wall width, what sort of door, electronic locks, how many locks etc etc
Thanks

As it seems every licensing office has their ownideas and agenda may i suggest you get the feo out and ask them what they "WANT".

I could tell you what I did to convert a brick/block construction cupboard but what suited Lincs may not suit you people. Sad but there it is.

I was going to convert an upstairs bedroom the police wanted wire mesh over the roof and floor, iron bars over the window and a steel door and frame brick walls plus an alarm if my memory's correct i never went into anymore details regards spec as it was going to cost a fortune unless your having a house built and can incorperate these designs into the build

I was going to convert an upstairs bedroom the police wanted wire mesh over the roof and floor, iron bars over the window and a steel door and frame brick walls plus an alarm if my memory's correct i never went into anymore details regards spec as it was going to cost a fortune unless your having a house built and can incorperate these designs into the build

Yet if one reads the HO specs safety and being able to get out in case of fire should not be compromised.............................. Tell that to the FEO and see how it take it?

One reason I said speak to them as find out what they expect. You could fork out and convert to the specs laid down in that document and then licensing office refuse to accept it.

Get it in writing from them if possible so you know where you stand and can then decide if it's going to be worth it for you or not.

I often see noted on house plans, GUN ROOM, so much for keeping it secret?

usually an inner room, masonary walls, and a good door.

i think if i am not mistaken you need a steel framed door that can be pinned into the walls ,windows grilled and mesh ceiling which is easier than most people think as you would need a steel box frame with lugs to rawl bolt to the existing walls ,i think ideally you would want an inner room rather than one on an outer wall but most houses dont have this ,but that would be my thaughts for properly securing it and i dont think its in the regs,atb wayne

looking at this myself now.
I have a perfect room in the centre of the house, it has a basement under it. walled on all sides (8-10" of stone)

one of my mates just has a part of his washing room covered with a wooden framework and some strong wire mesh and a padlock, but the washroom has a lockable door.

he is converting under the stairs, its all block walls with a concrete stair case. So would probably just need a steel door, is it possible to get a steel door with a wood veneer ? dont think his missus would approve of a fort knox door in the hallway ! lol

so put the steel on the inside?

Once again it will be down to what the FEO will accept....... when the localish gunshop was extended the Police insisted it seems on the steel plate being on the outside of their door.

personally cant see why it would matter if the steels inside or outside as long as the framework and doors comply its about meeting the regs and if you have done that then it wont be a problem . if someone wants to try knocking down a wooden door or what they think is a wooden door then thats not your problem as long as you have done whats needed,atb wayne.

Steel on the inside is far easier to penitrate. You can attack the wood. Outside you have to get passed the steel, jim

you make the steel work the structure and use the wood for looks only that way you havnt upset the misses and it looks like a normal room not fort knox ,atb wayne

A bit of an old thread, but wonder who else has gone down this route?

Mine used a Latham ultra security door, which looks pretty similar to the other doors in the house. White powder coat, looks just like white gloss paint. And I trimmed it off with the wooden frame, salvaged off the original door.
Home Office speced steel mesh in place of an old lath-plaster stud wall and ceiling. And the same, over the window.
Assuming that you still need a locking box for the ammo, I mounted a now redundant rifle safe, on it's side, in the room.

The FEO was impressed and very happy with it.

And it is really nice to not be buggering about with safes anymore.
And if it comes to selling the house (and the new people not needing a gun room), the only difference would be, a bedroom with an extra thick/heavy door. Or market it as a panic room?

I'm tempted to say that for most of us, with a handful of rifles and maybe a couple of shotguns, financially it doesn't make much sense. But then I thought again. For most of us, this is a hobby. So while we, of course have to be mindful of costs, financially, it really doesn't need to make sense at all. Which I know isn't anything at all to do with how you would spec one. Just voicing (or typing) my thoughts.

I have commandeered the study in my house which is a ground floor room with a window. I have 5 different cabinets and a large digital safe for Keys, FAC Ammo, knives and bolts. I have locks fitted to teh study door but want to hang a more secure door. I was thinking a heavy fire door might suffice. I have a downstairs loo in the middle of the house with masonary walls which might do, with no window, but the management is less than keen. I guess the issue with a secure room is if the guns are on show or not. Perhaps one day....

I think a good and solid, but unobstrusive door with external style locks into a steel frame is as secure as it needs to be. Oh and a big dog.....:D

Back