Sold: Deer shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davie

southeast@thedeerinitiative.co.uk

This is the email address if any one is interested from the south east they are short of deer stalkers to carry out there culls. This is not a stalking opportunity but you will be placed in a high seat and deer will be moved on to you. No moneys as this is charitable.
you MUST BE AVILABLE ON THERE DATES.

Hi Davie
This is the reply i got back from them

Thanks for your e-mail but I’m afraid that the “advice” given on this subject is make-believe. We operate no such scheme. Sorry that you have been misinformed.

Jamie Cordery
South East Deer Liaison Officer

I am so sorry mate this was info from an article written in the shooting times by one of Britain's most respected writers on field sports issues.
If there is no such places i can only conclude that propaganda is trying to make out that the armature stalks don't want the job of deer management in the most populated areas.
That of coarse is not true as i have had a few pm,s on the subject. :cry:

Davie,
If that was published in the Shooting Times then I think a letter to the publisher would be in order.
Also it would be interesting to know what the response was from Amateur Stalkers, the ones only too willing to do the job but don't get the opportunity because of the 'closed shop' syndrome by the 'Professionals'.
That is the sort of thing I thought the DI was set up for in the first place and would make sense if it operated in that way.

GRAHAM DOWNING ON 01986 873688 01986 872192

this WAS THE CHAP THAT WAS OUT WITH THEM ANS WHO WROTE THE ARTICULE .It might be an idea to phone him he will know the proper contacts.If he cant help it might be then time to give him a piece of you mind but for Christ sake don't let them get away with writing complete crap just for there own ends. The article is in the Feb issue it has the head of a brown cock er spaniel on the front cover.I cant find it to scan in but will try my best. ;)

I read the same article in Shooting Times, and I quote "they could not find enough stalkers to fill the highseats"

This is typical of the crap thats gets fed to us by the DI, it helps them justify thier mission which is to have ALL stalking in England under thier control, and when they do, say ta ta to recreational stalkers.

Like I said no suprise there then ehh!!

Sorry anyone sniffing around any ground I have from the DI will get short thrift from me.

DI shortage of Stalkers!!!

I read the article and the quote is as follows.
"It is hard enough transporting and setting up high seats and getting the stalkers to fill them without an evening session being ruined by walkers and unruly dogs wandering through the woods"
I did not see an invitation put out asking for volunteer stalkers but I'm sure if there had been, not only would he get the stalkers the stalkers would even volunteer to erect the high seats themselves, thus making the job he found difficult, a lot easier all round.

Deerstalkers have worked hard over the past Ten years and have put them selves through test after test trying to keep up with every new twist in the ever increasing tasks given to deerstalkers to carry out there sport.
I am sure that the like of Mr Downing and the rest of the certificate hungry quangos DCS DI were hoping that most deerstalkers would have given up by now. Instead we have unwillingly took the tests and are now qualified to take up the challenges that this Massive deer population will bring to us.
So what now we have the di shutting shop you need to have a 3inch nob to get in and it needs to have special tattoo on it .The DCS want to register every one as fit and proper you need to have the slap on the back from them even if you have done everything asked. So now we stalkers like Ben P off here writing articles that are really full of absolute crap so he can get in with the DCS i know he was out of work but why try and **** on you fellow stalker by trying to ask for even more tests.
We then have Graham Downing writing that they cant get stalkers to put in the high seats. Now we know this is a fecking downing right lie we have 1000,s of stalker just waiting for an opportunity to stalk deer cheaply and most are paying 1000,s up on thousands a year to stalk deer.
SO WE MUST TAKE FROM ALL THESE BAD ARTICULES THAT WE ARE TRYING TO BE DISCREDITEDED.
DONT LET IT HAPPEN MAKE SURE YOU PUT OUR POINT ACROSS. PHONE HIM PHONE THE SHOOTING TIMES AND TELL BEN P HES A FECKING DICK ANY TIME THEY TRY TO SAY WE ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

T

I have fired off a letter to the Shooting Times, let's see if they print it.
I sent it last night so they have plenty of time for this weeks edition.
I also sent a letter to the DI as follows,
Dear Sir,
I read the Article reference the problem of Culling the 'Herding Species' written by Graham Downing in the Shooting Times dated 12th February and was absolutely amazed at the following paragraph.

"It is hard enough transporting and setting up high seats and getting the stalkers to fill them without an evening session being ruined by walkers and unruly dogs wandering through the woods"

I understand the problem with dog walkers and ramblers but I did not see an invitation put out asking for volunteer stalkers.
I'm sure had there been, not only would he have got the stalkers to fill the seats but the stalkers would even volunteer to erect the high seats themselves and in some cases even provided their own, thus making the job he found difficult, a lot easier all round.
I am a Stalker of many years but, having recently retired, no longer have access to the ground I had previously. When I look for Stalking opportunities I find the money asked for is more than I used to earn when I was providing a service to Land/Estate/Forestry owners and the article as read would look as if it would have provided an excellent opportunity for the many people like me that there must be all round the country.
Yours Truly,
Eddy McConnell, AW 74. Holder of DMQ2, Advanced Stalker Certificate,Trained Hunter, Ex RCO (time expired)
PS, Davie,
I haven't got a 3" nob and I'm not getting any cut off for anybody :lol:

Eddie i think that's Great mate now if there really is stalking available i am sure most on here from that area would have bit there hand off.

There is no stalking and the chap is sorry if it implied there was not enough keen stalkers in the area .What he meant was there was not enough stalkers that he new and could trust to do the job he had people travelling up from Norfolk and even further that were will to do the job and pay and also others that would let him on there ground.His big complaint was dog walker and local access . He is a very accomplished work smith of many many years and dose get all his equipment from the DI who he is a member of a fully supports .It is also in his interests to discredit local stalkers so while he said it was and accidental and took out of context i am sure he new what he was writing. :evil:

amateur -v-professional

Surely when we expend both our money and time to follow the route of DSC 1 and DSC 2 we become as professional and well qualified as any full time stalker. Yes I accept that we may not have as many kills in total but against that we have perhaps been more thorough and better prepared for the stalking we manage to afford. After all with fewer chances of both the stalk and the shot we are not in any way blase as the so called professional who may well view his employment as no more than that of a semi skilled slaughterman. Certainly stalking is more expensive than it need be and the contribution both in cash and time to the rural economy by the amateur should not be underestimated. Consider that the majority of purchasers of the Shooting Times, BASC and BDS are NOT full time professionals. This point needs to be made.
Yours aue MBP

It would seem that obtaining the relevant qualifications are not enough. Starting to look as if you require some sort of affiliation to the DI or similar network to really make headway.

It really is scandalous the way genuine folk are excluded from available stalking. It would appear that unless you are very well heeled or have the right connections you have to pay through the nose. Than God for a lot of the members of this site who help their fellow stalkers out.

John

There are some members of the Services Branch of the BDS, now called Defence Deer Management (DDM) that will never, by virtue of their status be called Profesionals yet their experience and 'Kills' can, and often do, outnumber some of the recognised Profesionals.
Their training is second to none as the MOD has to be on top of all the latest legislation and is implemented the minute it is introduced.
Charles Smith-Jones is an example, author of Controlling an Alien Species.
So for these recognised bodies to say their is a shortage of Professionals does not mean there is a shortage of others able to the job.
I am sure there are others that have nothing to do with DDM but again have the same experince and on the job training to be as good as the recognised Professionals and could assist when required.
I know when Foot and Mouth hit there was a backup of people to assist the shortage of Slaughterers ready to be called if needed made up from the list of holders of DMQ2 at the time.
Sorry I rambled on a bit but I picked up on the reference to shortage of recognised/qualified people that can be called upon to do the job properly and the continual reference to recreational stalkers only after trophys.
There is this division, at present there are only two types of stalker, Professional and Recreational.
It indictes that recreational stalkers only play at it when the weather is fine and only the Professionals do the job all year round.
This is not the case for many Recreational Stalkers and as soon as the relevent bodies involved in Deer Management realise this the better.
This rant is not particularly applicable to the article mentioned in the subject heading but as a general rule when discussed in a lot of the Shooting Press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back