Help with Scotland visit.

venison17

In May myself and good lady are planning a trip around the coast of Scotland and visiting as many islands and out of the way places possible in the two weeks I have. 8)

If any one has any info on special places to visit , from a small local pub to a view that can not be missed please let me no.

As I am interested all forms of fieldsports this may well be included in the visit. fishing ( sea, game, ) rods will be packed, may even sneak in the rifle,

If you no of a good b&b or a pub that does rooms, good hotels etc think you get the idea. will be needing lots as you can see from the route below.

first port of call is Edinburgh get the shopping out the way for the other half. Then up through Perth A90 to Aberdeen A96 out of Aberdeen, follow to A9, may hang out and look for Nessie for a night or two up A9 to John o Groats, visit Orkney ,Shetland, follow coast road A836 round top of Scotland then out to western isles and back to Fort William down to Cowal and across to Glasgow then carry on around on the A77 to Gretna,

It Is a Long trip and the planned route may well change depending on what comes up, If anyone has any ideas or just meet for a dram let me no and will try and see of much as We can.
Forgot to say Im 40 Half way through the trip :cry: ....... need something special for that day.
Look forward to you hints and tips. :p

Mrs basil is from Dundee and that was the type of trip we had been planning.
Sheila would stay with her family then i would go off on my travels.
Then the dreaded redundancy hit us and everything planned became history.
Scotlands scenery is spectacular and well worth the miles of traveling.
Enjoy your holiday.
basil.

Make sure you stop in a stalaig near tinnabruach. Contact widows son he will have Brebdas number for HER B/B Its in the farm and there are some ecilent views over to tarbet etc. Nice area. ;)

The view from Cadha Mor above Easter Fearn on the south side of the Dornoch Firth is very nice! It's only a couple of miles off your route over the Dornoch Bridge so well worth a look on the way past.

R.H.

Got to say Corusik House in Elgol, Skye....if you like seafood, you won't find fresher. The prawns come off the boat, up the hill and into the pan! :D They have rooms too.

I do have a vested interest as I do a bit of cooking there in the summer...my venison casserole ain't too shabby!

Plus, the views of the Cuillin from Elgol are breathtaking...it appeared on Britains Favourite Views on the TV, in the movie Stardust and in the Ultravox video for Lament (showing my age!) amonst many others.

Anywhere in Sutherland is quite spectacular, me living there has no influence on this belief of course.

One thing I would scrub off the list is John O' Groats, this is a highly personal thing of course but in my opinion there is nothing there! Having said you can always tell folk you have been there.

If you are going up the A9 at Brora you could always turn off and head North via Strath Kildonan follow the road to Syre, turn right at the crossroads (eventually) and go up to Thurso that way. I always think that Strath Kildonan is a pretty place.

Give us a shout nearer the time and we could maybe squeeze in a dram or three.

If you venture onto Skye then I suggest a trip to Neist Point lighthouse. Great views and if you are brave enough for a little climb down the rocks there are some great pollock fishing spots. I was there a couple of years ago and the wife spent hours watching Minke whales whilst I fished.

MH

Thanks

Thankyou all for the advise and recomendations please keep them coming. will write some sort of completion story with a few photos if I can sort out my out of date computer.

Thanks again hope to see some of you soon

:lol: Keep um coming :lol:

try sandwood bay in nw sutherland if you can afford the time(long walk) . Most amazing and atmoshpheric place especially at sunset.

If you want to visit the islands, you could start on Arran cross over to Kintyre and then on to Islay and Jura then Colonsay and back to the mainland at Oban then.......... Mull, Coll, Tiree, Barra, the Uist's, or around Loch Awe and up to Fort Wlliam and the Great Glen or over Malaig. The possibilities are almost endless and CalMac offer island hopping tcikets. Fishing opportunities - lochs, rivers, or sea - abound to suit most pockets. If you have the opportunity the West and North of Sutherland are literally awesome, visits to Sandwood Bay, Cape Wrath and mountains like Suilven, Foinaven, Stack, Ben Mor Assynt and others will leave you speechless. Just 2 weeks - you may have to come back again to fit it all in!

Applecross is a fantastic place (west coast), with a lovely little pub/cafe serving great food. If you are into driving, the roads around there are amazing too, even if you aren't the Applecross Pass is breathtaking. I did it a few years ago in my Westfield as a part of a 4 day tour north of the border and it was one of the highlights of an unforgettable trip (even if I did get rather wet in a topless car!)

Gez

forget the john o groats bit spend plenty of time on the west coast I went last year the stretch between ullapool and durness will blow you away i love to get to Scotland but never been to that area before and found that i was driving at 20 miles per hour just enjoying the place so much sandwich bay poolu applecross i could go on ENJOY!!

Some Great ideas

Thankyou for all your comments again , sounds like that there are some fantastic places to see. Will be taking you up on some of them.

:lol: KEEP UM COMING :lol:

Sutherland

Don't miss out visiting Lochinver for:

a) The spectacular view of the pie shop in the 'High street' which serves the best venison pie in the world (after mine)

b) The unequalled (quality and price) trout and salmon fishing in the limitless lochs - walk in any direction and you'll find a loch all to yourself. A day permit will be in the region of about £6-7 for trout. Hire a boat and row to the centre of loch Assynt and be stunned at the surrounding majestic vista from the boat

c) Hind stalking on the lands of the former assynt state, formerly owned by the Vestey family, now in the hands of locals. Challenging stalks but incredible views.

I don't think you will be able to do it justice in the time you have available. I would suggest you come up to the top North West corner and spend the first couple of years in Sutherland and then work your way down Country thereafter :D :D

John

You're off to the finest place on earth!

I second Applecross and the inn there, you'll get a look at it on iplayer or BBC2 Sunday eve - Monty Hall.

Good places - especially on the W.coast & Hebrides get booked up in advance so I would try & get sorted now.

Back