Carbon fibre Mods?

now I saw my first carbon fibre mod the other day and it sounds great but it didn't perform. anyone had any dealings with them and can enlighten me on the subject as I would have no faith in it purely on a structural basis?!?

what was it on a rimfire or centrefire ? i know Richard pope makes some carbon fibre rimfire mods and there very good.

hiya in reply i had a carbon mod fitted when i had my rifle theaded the shop supplyed a carbon mod it looked great but after the 3rd shot a very loud bang and my face was covered with hot gases and shardes of carbon, i phoned the shop they replaced the mod stupidly i accepted it (lucky i didnt use it)the shop phoned to warn me not to use it as the manufacturer had recalled them, lucky for me the shop replaced my mod with a t8 hope this helps bazil
View attachment 15050View attachment 15051

After the 3rd shot a very loud bang and my face was covered with hot gases and shards of carbon [...] the shop phoned to warn me not to use it as the manufacturer had recalled them

First of all, I'm glad you're OK, after what must have been a shocking experience. Bad enough to get fragged once, but twice would really have been too much.

How recently did this happen? Not long ago, presumably, as this model hasn't been on the market more than about 6 months AFAIK.

Alarm bells ringing!!! Carbon fibre is a composite that is NOT suitable for moderators for general use full stop! Although, as a 'disposable' piece of equipment like in a spy film I'd go with that because it's super cool.

Aerospace engineering....safety factor of 0.9 :D
I work with carbon fibre quite a lot but would not recomend it for a moderator.
I had one of those modertors in my hand once, heavy a hell and then it doesn't hold???
Heavy, large, unreliable.... why not buy smaller, lighter and more reliable as in A-tec or Roedale.
edi

Strange - carbon wrapped barrels work absolutely fine.

I think the important word there is "wrapped". I wouldn't trust a moderator made purely of carbon fibre, not that it's based on science, but because my only experience of carbon bikes would suggest that a sharp knock can end up with shattered carbon everywhere!

willie_gunn

Hi

Intriguing as a couple of my friends have carbon-fibre moderators - used on full-bore calibres (.243/.308) and no problems.

Baffle arrangement was just 'tinkering about' and the internals are of an aero-alloy.

L

no reason why carbon fibre could not be used as a material for moderator.
One could argue that it would have several advantages over some metals.

however as with Carbon composite framed bikes....poor design and material choice will make any product weak.
If they can make safety tubs for F1 cars and heat shield shrouds out it then they can do most things.

no reason why carbon fibre could not be used as a material for moderator.
One could argue that it would have several advantages over some metals.

however as with Carbon composite framed bikes....poor design and material choice will make any product weak.
If they can make safety tubs for F1 cars and heat shield shrouds out it then they can do most things.
it does have its limitations though back in my racing days carbon was used for everything from frames ,wheels exausts but after testing and using on race tracks and roads it cant do everything wheels broke ,splintered and collapsed exhausts used on big twins would break within a few races ,the resonance from a big twin engine was too great for carbon . engine cases would only last a few hundred miles because of the stresses. i would think a moderator would be similar to a carbon can with the exeption a carbon race can has baffle wadding to cut down on the pressure and suppress the noise . now a mod which has no baffle wadding and just cones to slow down the gases the carbon must be under massive pressure and the resonence from the gas wave going through it i wouldnt want to be behind one with all that back pressure ,atb wayne.

As a composite, epoxy/carbon, heat will be a huge issue. Even if the data sheet say's good to 200 Deg C
the tensile strength will start to drop dramatically at elevated temperatures. I'll build myself a carbon
mod once but it would be designed differently. A piece off an old fishing rod won't do it.
Carbon barrels only work because there is a steel barrel inside....
Another option could be using a CFC carbon material, but that will be expensive with other issues.
edi

modern aerospace alloys are far more reliable and trustworthy than composites and the important question is obviously would you bet your sight against that statement?

modern aerospace alloys are far more reliable and trustworthy than composites and the important question is obviously would you bet your sight against that statement?
But that does not hold water because one can get around it. Maths is your friend.
edi

I have a carbon fibre mod made by Brugger and Thommet in Switzerland. They make moderators for the military and police and have a very good reputation. It is light, average size and well finished.
I have no worries about it and will not be changing it.
Carbon fibre, when matched to the job in hand is superior to steel in almost every case. I still have a number of steel mods, and have no problems with them. The T8 seems to fall apart after two shots, if some people on SD are to be believed. I would have thought that a rusty mod and a high power round is a recipe for disaster, but no one has reported one. My T8's are both about 8-10 years old and in very good condition. Look after your kit and it will look after you.

p.s. a friend of mine had a blow out on a radial tyre, stop using them!

the shop phoned to warn me not to use it as the manufacturer had recalled them,

Not a mention on there web site about a recall, how many people have bought these mods I wonder and do they know about this???
Is it up to the dealers of these mods to get in touch with the buyers as they have there details from there FAC??

I had my Thomas Lowe defence suppressor blow up in October this year, while on century range, Bisley. At the time, I was putting 180 grain 308 ballistic tips through it. Very loud bang, back blast, and pieces of the carbon fibre sleeve went in several directions. I was ok, if slightly startled. When I called tld, they were not apologetic nor surprised but stated they had some problems with the carbon fibre weave, which had been changed. They sent me a replacement. I binned and replaced with a3rd eye tactical. I know the following from testing; heavy, same as an ase ultra stainless. No weight advantage. I would get first shot flyers- key shot- if I had moved the rifle around, then 2 tight. I felt sometimes as if I was clipping the baffles / touching, with the first shot which aligned then and meant next two were good. The suppressor could not be removed easily- the main internal spigot even if slightly warm bound to the barrel and could not be removed without asking the tld suppressor apart and using a spanner.
Pluses were; easy to take apart, spigot was interchangeable for barrels, baffles were interchangeable for calibres.
However, heavy, I suspected accuracy impact, and the serious failure with a blow up.
Hope that's relevant to this thread and the others on it looking at mods, and tld in particular..

I have to admit this thread has got me a tad concerned as I have the same mod which I use on my 300 win mag. I ahve not looked on the web site so cant confirm if this recall is cosha or not. Does anyone have a link?

Back