dsc worries

243fallow

Is the dsc getting any easier ?, i know of some real numnuts who have passed it in recent months!!!. I thought it was at the time a real acheivment to pass but these days im just wondering is it a guarenteed pass???? I would hope for the sake of our deer that its not the case, some of these recent candidates i dont think are capable to use a spud gun let alone a large c/f rifle just my thoughts:-|

To be fair level 1 is like the driving test in some respects, there's a lot of boy racers that just shouldn't have a car

when i did mine i only thought there was 3 species of deer in uk, but on booking the course i swotted up like mad and out of 10 came top of class, some had been stalking 30 plus years.
but before anyone gets on their high horse that was theory not in the field i know, and i,ve still only shot 4 to their hundreds.
stav

I would agree its to easy to many numties pass then think they are the best thing since sliced bread 300 + yard head shots etc etc, landowners see the dc1 + dc2 as proof people know what there doing when in fact from fac to dc1 dc2 can take weeks or months. you need years of knowledge to do what we do properly

What else would you expect from a multiple choice test where all the questions and answers are readily available to all in notes and CD beforehand....

+1 they give you the answers before you sit the test !! Its the same with schools these days no proper tests

Bomb shell again ,it has never been hard no matter what you think or say, or what numb nuts has it a little light reading to at least open your eyes, to the needful and your more than half way there .

99% of it is common sense read a little listen a lot take a few notes its in the bag .

Then on to the level two,it is that easy you wont believe turn up and go stalking find and shoot something Gralloch it, don't shoot the AW he will write up what he See's job done . Any AW that tells you, you have failed it talking bilge, its not a pass or fail certificate, it is keeping to the industry standard so were all reading of the same page ,keep to best practice it is also in the bag.

All in all nothing you wont read in the DMQ guide or the Best Practice guide for both level one and two certificates .

Is the dsc getting any easier ?, i know of some real numnuts who have passed it in recent months!!!. I thought it was at the time a real acheivment to pass but these days im just wondering is it a guarenteed pass???? I would hope for the sake of our deer that its not the case, some of these recent candidates i dont think are capable to use a spud gun let alone a large c/f rifle just my thoughts:-|

Hi there,

DSCL1 is the industry standard in basic deer stalker training, but lets not forget that it isn't a 'requirement' or a compulsory test for deer stalkers. Whilst I totally understand your view, I am of the opinion that if somebody bothers to get off their backsides and do the training, then they must be pretty serious about it and actually 'want' to learn.

But as Paul says, some people shouldn't have a car after passing their tests.

A lot of those guilty of bad practice in deer stalking have probably picked up the bad habits from the people they have mixed with. Sadly.

Taking DSCL1 is at least a good start, and for every person who has done a course and taken the test, there are several more who haven't.

M.

I would agree its to easy to many numties pass then think they are the best thing since sliced bread 300 + yard head shots etc etc, landowners see the dc1 + dc2 as proof people know what there doing when in fact from fac to dc1 dc2 can take weeks or months. you need years of knowledge to do what we do properly

spot on :tiphat: :tiphat:

So are you saying that because someone has been stalking for years that he obviously knows more than someone who's only done it for one year? I find that to be a very blinkered view. You may not have a clue about diseases or even open and closed seasons but if you eat the venison yourself and never get seen shooting the wrong deer then who is to know that you're clueless? Passing any course is written proof that you have got enough of an idea to pass. No more, no less, but don't knock those that bothered. Without the certificate it's pure and simple speculation as to whether you know anything at all!
I have yet to read or hear of any newly qualified DSC1 stalkers taking 300 yard head shots either and yet because they're newly qualified you assume that they must be numpties who are doing such things? Well excuse me but some will be looking at the spelling in your post and be thinking that it's not them who are the numpties!
Finally, have you considered that the reason why nearly everyone passes the DSC1 is because the standard of instruction being put on by the professionals is so good? I am yet to read on here about a training body who made a poor job of it? Just my thoughts and I await the incoming from the so called 'experts' with interest.

PS. I have a friend who has been playing football for 35 years. Still got two left feet though! An expert he most definitely isn't!

Last edited:
So are you saying that because someone has been stalking for years that he obviously knows more than someone who's only done it for one year? I find that to be a very blinkered view. You may not have a clue about diseases or even open and closed seasons but if you eat the venison yourself and never get seen shooting the wrong deer then who is to know that you're clueless? Passing any course is written proof that you have got enough of an idea to pass. No more, no less, but don't knock those that bothered. Without the certificate it's pure and simple speculation as to whether you know anything at all!
I have yet to read or hear of any newly qualified DSC1 stalkers taking 300 yard head shots either and yet because they're newly qualified you assume that they must be numpties who are doing such things? Well excuse me but some will be looking at the spelling in your post and be thinking that it's not them who are the numpties!
Finally, have you considered that the reason why nearly everyone passes the DSC1 is because the standard of instruction being put on by the professionals is so good? I am yet to read on here about a training body who made a poor job of it? Just my thoughts and I await the incoming from the so called 'experts' with interest.

PS. I have a friend who has been playing football for 35 years. Still got two left feet though! An expert he most definately isn't!

bit like when i passed a Bricklaying and Welders course both Certificates state i was Quallified in Both !!!!!! and neither made me a expert or have the skills of people who had been in those trades for years and Stalking is no different oh and no i cant spell skipped to many day off School shooting :D

On the DSC1 course I did some of the new people put time and effort into it, some didn't. I certainly swotted up as best I could and was keen to learn. There was one "expert" there who assured us all that he had "shot 1000s of deer" and had been doing it for years. It took him 3 attempts at the shooting test. On his first attempt he managed to land some of his shots on my target, though even then they weren't anywhere that I would have wanted to hit the target but luckily he was shooting a smaller calibre than my 308 and it was fairly easy to offer an explanation for the additional holes. I was the only other person on the course who had actually shot a deer, though my grand total of one at that time wasn't going to impress anyone. Many on the course had never seen a deer and some were more interested in getting the certificate so they could get a deer legal rifle.

So, all I can say is that the people on the course I did were a very mixed bunch and it would be hard to generalise in any way, as with anything in life we were all looking for something slightly different at the end of it all. The only person who stood out as genuinely worrying was the "expert" who had been doing it for years and who made it clear he had nothing to learn.

Many on the course had never seen a deer and some were more interested in getting the certificate so they could get a deer legal rifle.

and rather than keep learning with a experianced Stalker just go out on the own !!!! as the have a ticket The only person who stood out as genuinely worrying was the "expert" who had been doing it for years and who made it clear he had nothing to learn.

your right and they are probally worse than the newbie

I passed the DSC1 last year, if I found it easy at all it was because I had put in a large number of hours broadening my knowledge of deer and practising with my rifle. atb Tim :cool:

Have the question banks or the structure of the test changed in recent years? - No
Have the assessment teams changed in any way? - No
Does independent assessment remove the option of 'guaranteed pass'? - It should
Has the quality and variety of training available improved in the same timeframe? - Yes
Does catering for different learning styles improve the impact of training? - Yes
So, are more people likely to pass? - Probably
Are more people taking it now than ever before, so more people have the qualification? - Yes
Is it hard for 'numbnuts' to pass? - Not really

It is worrying that the test as a measure of ability or experience falls a long way short. To claim rifle handling competence on basis of a short walk and a handful of shots is banal - I agree.

As someone who is looking to take DSC1 very soon, I view it very much like the driving test (as others have mentioned) you do your driving test to get your license - THEN you START learning to drive and never stop learning. I think reading up on all the basics and having a good grounding in deer knowledge is a very useful thing, provided that is tempered with the knowledge that this is just the start and there is much, much more to learn.

Why should it be hard its the start level and you can only get better from there on in. The shooting that most fail is with out doubt as easy as it gets.
So any one that passes lev 1 and thinks they are mutts should think again. Its THEORY but you will learn rifle safety to a degree and on Lev 2 if you show that you cannot handle a rifle 100% safe in the real world you will have waisted your time and the AW,s because you will be sent home.:scared:

DSCL1 is the industry standard in basic deer stalker training, but lets not forget that it isn't a 'requirement' or a compulsory test for deer stalkers.

That about sums it up - the 'standard' for the industry that's sprung up to service the testing regime that's neither compulsory nor 'required', (unless of course you wish to lease stalking from certain bodies, be deemed as 'fit & competent' in some areas, or even obtain a Firearms Certificate if you live in a county with a draconian FLD! :D

I completed my dsc1 last year and it was a case of my wanting to learn, rather than using it to gain a deer legal rifle. I already have a 243, and had shot 2 muntys before i took the course. I was really lucky that a few guys off here spent time showing me the ropes, because for a lot of new guys they have to pay for stalking and it becomes so expensive. I am now at the stage that i have land, and can go out and shoot, gralloch and just about butcher, any deer with no problems. Its a big move going out on your own stalking, but the more i go out the more confident i become. So to any guys on here thinking about taking the dsc1, do it you wont regret what you learn and its a great way to meet like minded people

Back