I have some new Lapua cases and I want to load 20 of them up with my hunting load. I decided to fireform them before putting the first real load into them, just to keep everything consistent. I have some BTSP Hornady bullets lying about that I don't use and so decided to use them for the fireforming and I also have a "slow" load using RL15 for the non-boat tail version of the Hornady bullets that I use to make up rounds for practise and plinking.
So I didn't even run the cases through a die - I just loaded them up with my "slow" load and shoved the old neglected boat tail 150 grain 308 Hornadays on top. I didn't adjust the seating die at all and just seated them where they ended up, though I did measure to check it was within reasonable limits. I made up a box of 20 of them.
Tonight I shot all 20 at 100 yards, well I guess it was meters these days. The group size for all 20 shots was around 1.5 inches, certainly less than 2 inches and maybe nearer the inch. Most of the spread was horizontal with the vertical spread being probably a half inch.
It just goes to show that when it comes to stalking accuracy at stalking ranges you can spend a lot of time messing about with measuring this and prepping the other thing for very little return on your time and money. It just hurts a little to have this pointed out to me now and again!