Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking your rifle to work

Taking your rifle to work

I'm jist wondering as the title suggests would it be legal to take my rifle to work if i was intending on going stalking/foxing either on way there or way back.

Don't worry not planning on sitting it in the office corner

It would be in a locked pick up all day out off sight, which i am back and forward to umpteen times a day, 4hrs max, generally with a dog in the back. I can take the ammo and bolt with me no probs.
    1 piece off ground i could do with doing some dawn sit outs for foxes, it's only about 20ish mins from my house but i'm passing it everyday for work the now. Alot off u might think it's only 20min away but by time u go up there back put rifle away and pass it again it's an hour off travelling alone + diesel.

Would it be reasonable to leave rifle secured in my motor all day and would it matter the distance u were away from ur permission.
    In theory not much different than somone travelling to go stalking and soppping off for a days shopping but would i be expected to take rifle home when its within a reasonable distance.

Cheers for any advice

I take mine to work regularly, like you say, bolt out and ammo with me in the office, but other than that I think the law requires you to take all reasonable precautions? Sounds reasonable to me, that said, I work in an office in the middle of a forest, I doubt I would do the same if I worked in the city!

It should be no problem. Maybe look into a means of securing the rifle in the car? I have a Napier 'secure' slip that fits a loop through the trigger and then a cable round something in the vehicle. All you need to do is take all reasonable precaution.

I actually fitted a gun cabinet in my office...........

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I used to take a shotgun to work in a factory 2 or 3 times a week, left it in my works locker on the factory floor.
    Never had a problem, and it had to have been safer than locked in the car in the works car park, where break ins were not unknown.

Nothing wrong with your plan, the key is to remove the bolt though and take that in to the building with you. That way any one who got there hands on your rifle have efectively just got hold of a v expensive garden cain!

Yep, bolt out and with you. Ammo in your pocket. If you have a pickup how about a secure box locked into the back. The back of a pickup is not the most secure type of vehicle, probably need to look at that aspect.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Agree with the others and that’s what I do. It might even be safer like that than in an empty house, and you certainly have a good reason.

I would be well and truly fecked, if I did NOT take my rifle to work

A trigger guard can be unscrewed. Better to loop a wire cable through the mag housing and the action.

Too wet for work then Jim ?
    Good idea though.