Old Heym rifle models

Tackleberry270

Does anyone know where I can get info on old Heym Rifles? I found one in 8X57 that looks like it has been sat in someones collection unused. It looks like it would predate the SR20 by a fair bit. The bolt looks mauser based with a strange paddle on the top for the safety.

Just buy it and ask questions latter. You can't buy a bad german sporting mauser in 8x57 - they don't exist.

....another thing I wondered is the ballistic data I have read on the 8x57 means that it would be running close to legal minimum of 2450fps and it might not be safe to run hotter loads through an old rifle. Any thoughts?

My local gun shops got a really nice heym Swarovski combo up at the mo z, cracking piece of kit !

My first rifle was (still got it) an sr20 in .270 with a 6X42 habicht. I didn't know how good it was until I started playing with other rifles!

Does it have proof marks? I think if it has proof marks it will be one of their post war rifles, and should be very safe to run to around the 60 000 PSI mark. But i would be confident you could get 2450fps out of and german-made '98, although you may wish to do it with lower pressures and lighter bullets. The 160gr Barnes TTSX would be a great option. I think Heym did do some rifles with surplus military actions, in which quality control may have been a little more variable, but 2350fps with the 160gr would still be very, very conservative. Does it have a thumb slot? Heym did make the "west german boder guard rifle" - these where a weak action.

Does it have proof marks? I think if it has proof marks it will be one of their post war rifles, and should be very safe to run to around the 60 000 PSI mark. But i would be confident you could get 2450fps out of and german-made '98, although you may wish to do it with lower pressures and lighter bullets. The 160gr Barnes TTSX would be a great option. I think Heym did do some rifles with surplus military actions, in which quality control may have been a little more variable, but 2350fps with the 160gr would still be very, very conservative. Does it have a thumb slot? Heym did make the "west german boder guard rifle" - these where a weak action.

Don't think so. Next time I get the opportunity I have a closer look and take some photos.

And sorry, i meant to say before that it sounds to me from your description of the safety that the rifle was one of the mauser actions Heym built during the mid 60's to 70's.

How strange as after all twas Mauser in 1905 that sent the military powers into a spin after introducing the new 7.92mm JS round with it's pointed 154 grain "Spitzer" bullet of 0.323" diameter at over 2900fps.

The 7.92mm J round that preceded it had a bullet diameter of 0.318". Now pure commercial sporting rifles were still built using the 7.92mmJ cartridge and bullet up into the 1930's and even 40's.

As mentioned the German proof marking should indicate bore however I will add they can be a bugger to decipher. So unless you convinced that this Heym is pre WW2 then the chances are high it has the later larger bore. A simple bore measurement or slugging will tell for sure.

As for your worries on it being deer legal well S&B load a nice 196grain SPCE load that gives 2600 fps or a bit more :D plenty legal enough methinks.

Oh yes it seems the Turks were not so worried as you and their 154 grain military ammunition produced velocites in the high 2900fps to just over 3,000 fps in cases as found by those who chronographed some in America.

Edit:- Germany had and has strict proof regulations and always have had so there will be proof marks.

Photos of the rifle would help those who seem to know about the Heym's help you identify it.

Please keep us informed as to if you get it or not.

For those interested, Heym are now being imported by Garlands.

I handled two rifles at a gunshop today as perchance, the rep was visiting.

One was a straightpull, SR30, I think, loveley fast action, the other a SR21 (I think), fluted bolt (triple bolt lugs and standard bolt action cycling) , detach mag and balanced lovely.

Blueing to die for although the woodwork on the demo models wasnt the best id seen.

For the traditional stalker, they are well worth considering.

Last edited:

BUY IT !
And yes the SR 30 is a lovely fast smooth action, makes the Blaser action feel very agricultural.

Back