Thread: Trading name alert

Trading name alert

For the last 30 years I have been trading as "Deercare" in my deer farming, deer handling systems and deer fencing business. It has come to my attention that somebody else has seen fit to start using the same name even though he was aware of my website and of my use of that name.
    It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I am not amused. Please can I take this opportunity to assure all my clients that my business continues as before and has no connection to any other business or person.
    Thanks for reading this.

Have you asked companies house why they let him enter the same field with a name already registered in that area of business? He/she may be infringing registration requirements. On the other hand it may not apply if they have not registered.

I would check it out. There are companies in UK/USA with our companies intials, but not in the safe field of expertise...

Hope you get it sorted.

I am sorry that you feel that your "Deercare" name is being confused with another.

But I'm not sure what you have to complain about. AFAIK, according to Companies' House there are no registered companies of that name.

You do not appear to have registered it as a trademark either (see Intellectual Property Office - Trade marks)

The most fundamental thing in this era of the internet is to register the domain names of any business, product, brand, whatever, as soon as possible.

I see from that you registered your domain in 2004. Yet you have not protected the other obvious TLDs including the most relevant one. It only costs a few pounds. was registered in 2009. As was (to a different registrant).

"Deercare" is a rather obvious combination of two dictionary words.

I do sympathise, but if the "deercare" name is so important to you, you should take the simple steps to protect it ASAP.

I am quite aware that because I had not registered anything there is nothing to stop anybody else using the same name. 30 years ago people weren't so bothered with stuff like that; times have changed. I was merely trying to avoid confusions between two businesses. If I am miffed it is because the guy in question knew that I traded under that name but still chose to go ahead. He has done nothing legally wrong as far as I am aware.

My sympathies.

But on the face of it, the other outfit don't seem to be offering what you do, so unlikely to be confused with you.

Still suggest you get your trading name/trademark/brand/internet presence nailed down.

On "Dragons Den" this is fundamental stuff.

Good luck.