imr 4895

robbo'srifle

I have just started reloading my own ammo, has any body used imr 4895, if so does it give good results?
It does'nt seem to fill the empty shell very much, i am loading .243 with a 70grain nostler bt bullet start load 36.0 grains anybody used this load.
Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

IMR 4895 doesn't show in my reloading manual for the .243 (Hornady 6th ed.). I have used it for my .308, but the fact that the reloading manual doesn't list that powder for the particular cartridge and that you feel that it doesn't fill the shell well I would not use it. Not enough powder is more dangerous than a well filled shell as the burning can be too fast and uncontrolled, leading to a too abrubt pressure rise and potentially too much pressure. Where did you find your start load?

ReneZ said:
IMR 4895 doesn't show in my reloading manual for the .243 (Hornady 6th ed.). I have used it for my .308, but the fact that the reloading manual doesn't list that powder for the particular cartridge and that you feel that it doesn't fill the shell well I would not use it. Not enough powder is more dangerous than a well filled shell as the burning can be too fast and uncontrolled, leading to a too abrubt pressure rise and potentially too much pressure. Where did you find your start load?

Hi Renez,
i found the load in my local gun shop in the latest nostler manual,
i did want a tub of varget but they did'nt have any and the lads in the shop put me onto the imr 4895.

Another good reason to get reloading manuals from powder manufacturers, not bullet makers! My Lee manual shows data for H-4895 which is -if you believe the burn rate tables- a bit faster than IMR-4895. Thirty six grains is the starting load listed and 39.5 grains the top end. At that end the pressures would be a bit peaky so I'd stay shy of max using this powder in that case.

Don't worry too much about loading density. IMR and H 4895 can be safely reduced to 66% of maximum grain weight and still perform well. (In the old days, IMR and H 4895 sat right next to each other as to burn rates and were considered interchangable. You still see writers refer to such and such load of "4895" without making any mention of IMR or Hodgdon.)

I have never used it in the 243. Are you worried about it? Or just anticipating results? ~Muir

I have used 4895 in 243 and they are not very well suited, it burns a bit too fast.

4895 is perfect for 308 in most weights of bullet except perhaps 180 gr when 4064 comes into its own.

The powder I have found suits 243 best is 4350 or the old Norma MRP slower burning powders. I use 100gr partition and 42 gr 4895 over a rem 91/2 primer.

Hogdens `BASIC RELOADERS MANUAL 2002 ` states 39.5gr Max. charge of H4895 with the SPR HP 70gr bullet for a MV. of 3477 FPS in Winchester brass using a standard Winchester LR primer .

Your 36gr starting load should be OK as it is normal to start about 10% below maximum listed charges .

Do not be tempted to use MAGNUM primers though as these are not neccessary with such a calibre and can seriously increase breech pressure.

HWH.

Hi sir.

I am just in the process of starting to use the H4895 with a 70gr nosler btbt round,

the set up will be as follows.

nosler 70gr btbt
sako brass
cci primer
40gr of H4895
col: to be confirmed.

but judging buy the results of a shooting mate, it works and works very well. the only issue i have is my 20" barrel.

bob.

Back