Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Recommend Good Trout Fishing and Stalking Breaks in Scotland?

Anyone Recommend Good Trout Fishing and Stalking Breaks in Scotland?

Hi guys,

It's my silver wedding anniversary next year and to my astonishment and delight my wife suggested a week fishing and stalking in Scotland (she even wants to come too!) but I dont know of anywhere suitable - I'm a bit reluctant to go through a sporting agent and would prefer personal recommendation from like minded folk.

We will probably go in May and a close pal suggested I consult you as I am looking for a good (3-4*) lodge style hotel in Scotland, to spend a week river fishing (ideally) for trout with a bit of roe buck stalking.

Any (polite) suggestions or recommendations?

Many thanks

We stayed at a place called Kingennie Fishery just outside Dundee. There`s a few lakes there with lodges around the place.
    All set in woodland surrondings.
    It was a few years ago so i don`t know if anything has changed.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Any chance she'd let you go in September for trout/salmon and red stags?

I'm not knocking anyone's sport but going on the hill for a red stag, or even hinds, always seems like a big day out to me. I've only tried roe stalking once and it was great and I hope to go back but as it happens on less dramatic ground it just doesn't feel like such a big event for me.

If you want really interesting trout fishing then the Outer Hebrides are the place, I favour Lewis/Harris but the Uists have their appeal as well. On Lewis there are said to be 1200, or 2000 according to some, trout lochs so it is a great adventure to explore and see how many you can get a fish out of. Most are free fishing so there are few bounds on your choice. The stalking is also great and can be very exciting and although the deer and trophies aren't big generally speaking the experience is first class and, for me, without compare.

I posted a trip report, so you can see if it might be to your taste, it starts with a hind report but if you scroll down there is also a previous stag report

Marnoch Lodge. Bridge of Marnoch Aberdeenshire Fishing for wild brownies on the Deveron, very good roe stalking in the area.
    May on the Deveron = Heven...
    Contact Frank at Turriff Tackle (01888562428) He'll put you right.

The fishing for wild brown trout in Scotland is free always has been what some landowners have done they have taken a improvement order out which allows them to charge for a permit ,these are few and far between, so fill your boots .

The stalking you'll have to check the local areas try Gow sporting sporting estate accommodation Lairg Sutherland Scotland
    They have everything on offer may might just be a little early as there catering for migratory sea trout and salmon loch hope is excellent and has been producing some cracking fish ,there are a few Roe around the estate .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    The fishing for wild brown trout in Scotland is free always has been
    As I'm sure you know trout fishing, like any other fishing, is only allowed with the permission of the owner of the rights. In some cases, maybe many cases for all I know, the owner only gives permission in return for payment. To assume that any fishing is free may be a dangerous course of action, especially for a visitor who is not entirely across where he can and can't cast his line.

The Scourie Hotel whilst maybe not the 4-5 star accommodation has a plethora of hill lochs that can be fished by guests.
    Been a while since I was there but there are some serious trout in them hills.

The Dougray Estate in Arran has excellent accommodation and stalking, not sure about the fishing. Some huge stags there!
    Dougarie Arran Holidays

I think we have all you need! We offer excellent 4-Star accommodation either self-catering with optional meals service or, for a special treat, fully catered stays. Our superb shooting Lodge sleeps up to 8, but we offer 10% discount for parties of 2 and late availability deals. We would be happy to offer a special celebratory meal for you if you are here on the actual 'day'? If you like to have a look at our website this will show you the accommodation. As far as sport goes, the Lodge is in a stunning private location adjacent to the River Spey and we can quote for both trout and salmon fishing on local rivers and lochs, according to number of rods and how many days, etc. For stalking, there is great hill and woodland roe and red stalking available according to season. Again, we often arrange stalking to suit individual requirements. Besides fieldsports, the area is in the heart of Speyside, renowned for beautiful scenery and of course plenty of whisky distilleries. Please PM if you need more details.

I would be happy to have you here on Roe , and point you in the right direction for
    trout fishing ,maybe even join you for a day on the river
    Mabie house hotel is only 2 miles from me
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision