assessing roe bucks by their scrapings?

flyingfisherman

Been noticing a few strong signs of deer in the last few weeks in the form of freying and scoring the ground although i havent seen the culprits recently.

I was wondering if the frequency of territiorial markings vary depending on the age/quality of deer and also the quality of the markings. For instance, while out last night i saw 3 strong territorial markings, grass flattened and churned up back to bare earth and the hedge line taken a right pounding. It got me thinking (hopeful!) about whether this may indicate a buck who is very confident in his area which could be related to his good health (and maybe his head) or maybe just because there arent a lot of other bucks around?

This instance varies from what ive seen in previous years where ive seen more half-assed attempts at territorial markings by roe bucks.

Don't you be getting all excited thinking you've got a big daddy on your patch Ben :lol:

Sorry don't think so, in fact as far as fraying goes the worst of it is often done by young bucks trying to establish a territory, a more mature Buck has more confidence in himself and may not feel the same need to advertise his presence,

Sorry don't think so, in fact as far as fraying goes the worst of it is often done by young bucks trying to establish a territory, a more mature Buck has more confidence in himself and may not feel the same need to advertise his presence,

Spot on, it's the trouble causing youth that cause all the damage!

Been noticing a few strong signs of deer in the last few weeks in the form of freying and scoring the ground although i havent seen the culprits recently.

I was wondering if the frequency of territiorial markings vary depending on the age/quality of deer and also the quality of the markings. For instance, while out last night i saw 3 strong territorial markings, grass flattened and churned up back to bare earth and the hedge line taken a right pounding. It got me thinking (hopeful!) about whether this may indicate a buck who is very confident in his area which could be related to his good health (and maybe his head) or maybe just because there arent a lot of other bucks around?

This instance varies from what ive seen in previous years where ive seen more half-assed attempts at territorial markings by roe bucks.[/QUOTE]

Ben i noticed a lot of fraying and scrapes this morning i put it down to that new buck establishing himself , infact one ride had fraying and a scoring every few yards. DF

I find the big lads will scrape deep and will push hard against the tree you can normally see dark stains on the tree at about 22 -26 inch.Real fraying s done by youngster causing trouble. I have also seen the big bucks cleaning the antlers not on trees but in the earth. Best of luck and i hope you get a challenging stalk.

Back