Thread: 9.3x74R

did he clip his eyebrow with the second shot?

I thought that but he never said. and had no cut.

good clip that john ,he wasnt sure about that was he. he looked abit shocked on the last shot ,atb wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

It was a bit of a shock! Never shot anything with that much of a kick, eye was fine though.

That's pretty much a .375 H & H flanged but older. Pretty similar ballistics I think.

9.3x74r predates the .375H&H (introduced 1912) by about 12 years and produces a fair bit less muzzle energy than the H&H round, it is also a lot more pleasant to shoot. In fact it is a real pussycat if shot as it is intended, that is offhand at moving targets. How about trying this experiment if you want to feel recoil - shoot a 12 bore game gun prone using a decent game load, and none of your poncy recoil pads.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Well the "designed to shoot offhand" bit applies to both a 500 NE and 600 NE and I can tell you neither are pussycats! You are right about the 12 bore though. Just wondered, after looking at the clip if the second shot was a pretty impressive demonstration of the fact that the top barrel of an O/U does jump more than the lower.

500NE and 600NE realy are rifles that I wouldn't want to shoot off a supported rest and are in an entirely different category to my little 9.3x74 which incidentally is a side by side. My other double is the 8x57jrs and that is an over and under. I can't say that I have noticed any or see any reason why there should be any perceived difference in recoil between the upper and lower barrels. What has always been said about shooting the lower barel in preference to ther upper barrels of an O/U is more to do with the lower barrel being better supported usually (more secure locking arrangement due to less leverage). In the case of my O/U it doesn't realy make much difference because it locks in between the barrels (Boss type action).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.