PMC Brass

I do. Quite a bit of it, actually. All of my 9.3x57 was formed from PMC 8x57. I also use it in 6.5x55, 30-30, and a variety of handgun calibers. Doesn't wear out easily, that's for sure.~Muir

I use it in .222, .308 and .270win. Its pretty good brass and was not expensive at the time. No longer available as PMC stopped production of civilian ammunition I am told. Certainly not in the stores here now.

Much of the rifle ammo is/was produced in the US, using the Korean drawn brass,in a plant outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. I was there in 2004 to evaluate some loading machinery and got to stroll down the production line. A remarkably small operation.

Don't knock the Korean origins of the brass. In 1985 there was a test done of randomly purchased un-primed brass and the quality/consistency was found to better Winchester, Federal, and Remington. The current offerings seem to be as good.~Muir

BK,

I recently reloaded 20 once fired PMC manufactured 7mm Rem Mag cases and based on this admittedly very limited experience I wouldn't go near the stuff again.

The brass was obtained from a friend that only shot factory ammo so I ended up with a couple of boxes of cases to reload. I reloaded them with a max load of R22 underneath 160 grn Accubonds. Of the batch of twenty I fired about 14 of which about six split to one degree or another just above or below the shoulder area. The last one I fired split all the way round the base of the neck leaving the neck portion in the chamber. I called it a day at that and have gone back to using my usual Norma manufactured Weatherby stamped brass.

Kind regards,

Tim

Tim have I understood this correctly, you reloaded previously untried (by you) cases to the maximum recommended load?

Their brass I found to be fine in 6.5x55 but their loaded ammunition I am wary of after having a vastly over pressure cartridge in a box from them. never did find the primer cup, found the anvil. The case pocket was huge and the result was a broken firing pin on the Swedish Mauser.

The incident was witnessed by none other than Dougie Glaistor the NRA range superintentant.

Well. I don't think the load was the problem. The brass should have expanded without splitting if it was once fired. Used brass is always a wild card. Why do you think it didn't split when it was originally fired in your friends rifle?~Muir

No disrespects mate but that's asking for trouble, you should have worked up the load and not jumped straight in at the deep end. You can't realy blame the cases then can you.

The load is irrelevant as long as it does not exceed max. Very disappointing result I would say.

Last edited:
I can’t say that I would totally agree with that statement jon2 but you are probably correct in that the load may not have any relevance in this case to the split cases. A load that is safe in one rifle may not be safe in another that is why there are always warnings in reloading data about starting at a lower load and progressing towards the maximum recommended load in stages. The normal starting load (with some exceptions) being at least 5% to 10% below the maximum. Starting straight in with a maximum recommended load especially using different components is chancing it.

It would be interesting to know more about the "once" fired cases and how long they had been lying around for instance.

Last edited:
The load is irrelevant as long as it does not exceed max. Very disappointing result I would say.

Yeah. I'll give a thumbs down to this notion. I switched from Winchester to PRVI brass in my 243 this week. Went back to starting load of H414. Cratered the primers and left a heavy ejector rub on the bolt face. Obviously, the listed "starting" load for this brass, isn't. Imagine if I'd just jumped to my normal load, let alone maximum.

Reloading manuals are a guide, not an absolute.~Muir

Last edited:
My point is that the two are not linked. What I mean us that I am sure the separation at the neck would have occurred with a non max load.

I would put money on it.

If your so certain that loading newly acquired fired brass is fine to load with a max load straight off against all accepted safe practice will cause no problems then why are you bothering to ask others. It seem you have already made up your mind. Me I am just glad your not shooting anywhere near me.

Back