Thread: Roosters night out

Roosters night out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 May 2012.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	469.8 KB 
ID:	15282Had rooster out last night. Met up at larder at 6.00pm, gear loaded into the Jimny & off into the estate and parked up at bridge over the river. My plan was to walk down wind to the next bridge, cross over & come back along the top wood as the wind was out the east & I didn't want to disturb an area were we would end up for the last hour overlooking a catch crop field of beans.
    So it was up the bank along a ride (50mtrs) then into the wood. We stalked slowly through glassing in front every few yards or so. By the time we were half way through I kept feeling the cool air on the back of my neck, the wind was playing silly b####rs. We carried on until we came to the next ride. I said to Steve that the deer will have moved into the next wood & that we would stop here for a half hour or so to see if the deer would drift back, which they do. I put Steve up a single seat that looks to where the deer would cross on their way back to their wood & I sat down on the edge of the wood looking down the ride & over some thinned out larches about 15yrds from him. After about 25 minutes a buck walked out onto the ride below me & started to browse. I tried to attract Steves attention but ended up crawling on hands & knees for about 8yrds before he seaw me. After motioning him to get down & come to me I crawled back to watch the buck only to see it walk back into the trees as Steve got into position. A minute later it re-appeared but knew something was up. Steve rested on the tree & sent a 150g .308 on its way.
    I saw the strike, which looked good. The buck ran into the trees, to the left, at the end of the wood which is not very thick. So I was not worried. We gave it 5 mins then walked down the ride to the strike point. We found pinns & bright red blood leading into the trees every yard or so, then nothing. We started a search from left to right to the end of he wood that came to a point about 50yrds from were the deer entered, nothing. We had about one hour of light left so as I came to the end of the wood I sent a text home for my daughter to bring my dog (lab). Though not trained on deer, she has a good nose. After about 15 min Steve crossed into the larches & found the buck lying dead about 10 yrds from where the shot had hit him. He had run in a arc of 180 deg of about 50 yrds. Text my daughter to say we had found it & that Steve's heart & arse was back in place. Carried out the grallock & found that the bullet had entered the skin, turned back, crossed over the next rib then turned in & upwards clipping the top of the lungs & exiting on the other side high. Into the roe sack, back to the truck, then up to the larder. 46lb grallocked 40lb head & hocked & one relieved stalker.
    Last edited by scotty; 07-05-2012 at 22:10.

Nice write up Keith, almost felt like i was there! You can see by the photo it was getting a bit late in the day, just glad it turned out well. Thanks again.

Well done Steve another nice buck
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"

I wish I never read this write up, I've booked a day with scotty to do my first ever stalk and I was like a kid at xmas. Now I am looking forward to it even more. Everyday at work is going to drag by.

when you going

May 26th

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh weekend before me, ill have to pay scotty a back hander to keep a nice buck for me. or hide in the woods and scare them away lol.