good tent?

Mungo

Hi folks,

looking for a really bomb proof 2-man hiking tent for Scottish conditions.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

North Face, any of the 2 man range, Frog, big fat frog, Tadpole, Rock, Marathon etc. Well known and good quality, also look at Rab.

Hi folks,

looking for a really bomb proof 2-man hiking tent for Scottish conditions.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I've seen my same Terra Nova Voyager 2 used by many mountain guides when I went through my mountain leadership training - that was good enough recommendation for me! I can't rate them highly enough. And don't get a down sleeping bag, once wet you will freeze, get a good synthetic which will at least be usable if damp/wet (a different story if you were heading to Nepal)

Last edited:
I have a Vango two man tent with a awning bit for your boots and wet stuff. Had it out in lashing rain and not a leak anywhere. Craigdon mountian sports web site is worth a look.
GT

find one that puts the outer sheet up first!
most tents are seriously badly designed if you need to put them up in the ****ing rain.
you should be able to put the waterproof bit up first and then get under and erect or attach the inner.

Mungo,

I've a Hilleberg Akto, which is a one man tent, but Hilleberg do various ones for two men. I've been in snow, hail, rain and high winds in mine and have seen other brands perish in the same conditions. It is exceptional.

I bought it a few years ago and they have gone up in price alot since then. I looked at a cracking two man job in Keswick last week and was a bit shocked by the cost.

However, Hilleberg make expedition grade, bombproof, tents. If you see a photo of Everest base camp or somewhere similar, chances are you'll be looking at several Hillebergs.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks folks.

Pitching outer first is very much what I'm after. That seems ot have been a recent innovation which really should have seemed obvious a very long time ago!

I have an old (15 years) Sierra Designs which was pretty good, but never really stood up to the British climate, and has now started falling apart completely.

Has anyone tried the Vango Force 10 Vortexes?

Hilleberg is appealing, but I'm a bit alarmed by the price!

Thanks folks.

Pitching outer first is very much what I'm after. That seems ot have been a recent innovation which really should have seemed obvious a very long time ago!

I have an old (15 years) Sierra Designs which was pretty good, but never really stood up to the British climate, and has now started falling apart completely.

Has anyone tried the Vango Force 10 Vortexes?

Hilleberg is appealing, but I'm a bit alarmed by the price!

It is actually the old school style but the designers obviously thought it was a bit too old without thinking of the practicalities!
I also have a Vango, not sure of the style.
bomb proff fixtures and fittings, very important as these are the bits that take a beating. decent ripstop material, webbing loops, reinforced corners, soild metal clips etc etc.
all important to me

terra nova laser, or practically the same tent for less wild country zephros 2 field and trek are knocking them out on line at about 120, i have cracking tent and great reviews,

North face tadpole

Great wee tent, spent many many nights on the hill, about 30 over the last 2 months and if you know what the weather has been like then you'll know this is a good reference. Luckily I've been in my own bed this week but will be in it at least 2 nights next week.

Get a decent 4 season sleeping bag, don't be taken in with 2 season ones!

Also a get a good therma rest.

Happy camping

Back