Thread: Electronic measuring scales

Electronic measuring scales

i have just obtained a set of electronic scales . When i put a test weight on the pan the display alters by .2 of a grain . Ie one reading will be 22.6gr i remove the weight , re weigh it and it weighs 22.8gr . Is this a huge problem ?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    If your shooting long distance it would be but if it groups okay on a target/groups to the distance you want and there are no signs of over pressure then don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    Is this a huge problem ?
    I think it is. The problem with digital scales is that people blindly believe the reading that pops up on the display.

I think you have probably bought a scale that is designed to resolve to 10 milligrams. These are very common and inexpensive. They also can display in grains, but the conversion is 10 milligrams = 0.1543 grains so they usually round it up to 0.2 grains and don't (can't) display readings inbetween, and don't do floating point arithmetic so the conversion is rather approximate.

Net result is your powder weight could easily be out by +/- 0.2 grains which is rather a lot, particularly in smaller calibres.

You can improve the resolution by 33% simply by measuring in grams instead of grains.

Then you need to calibrate it. It seems you have a test weight so that shouldn't be a problem, but keep re-testing it throughout a reloading session, they can drift significantly, mostly in tare/offset but also span.

I have also detected non-linearity in the analogue-digital conversion which causes me to distrust them.

I started off with one of these, but soon realised it wasn't good enough so bought one that resolves to 1 milligram or 0.02 grains. Accura Diamond 10. Very stable, warms up in 30 seconds, repeatable even re-measuring days later. Comes with two calibration weights to do a proper two-stage resolution and span calibration.

Doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I still use the coarse scale for weighing bullets, brass etc, but powder is done with my milligram scale (measuring in milligrams, not grains).

I have access to state of the art chem-lab scales and have satisfied myself that you do get what you pay for, no matter how superficially convincing the digital display.

Actually considering getting a decent beam scale and Targetmaster trickler.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 09-05-2012 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Actually considering getting a decent beam scale and Targetmaster trickler.
    Yep good idea! I use RCBS 5-0-5 scales with the target master trickler - very quick and accurate!
    Does take a few mins to set up but well worth it!

"Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Have you tried a new battery, my scales are not consistant if the battery is old and they need to be level .

I have a few different electronic scales the most expensive is my Acculab scales...but stopped using them last yr and now just use beam scales either 5-0-5 or 10-10