What would you do? Pay per stalk or syndicate!

woodmaster

Would be interested in your thoughts.
Started stalking last season. Got a few paid stalks along with a few beasts under my belt. I am hoping to get out around every fortnight from October through to end march. I have less work that time of year so can be quite flexible with days.
My questions are. As a novice would you book up some paid days with professional stalkers, or join a syndicate?
Why would you do one rather than the other.
Thanks in advance for you reply's I look forward to reading your views.

I would join syndicate. Much cheaper and more satisfaction. With paid stalks as novice you will see and shoot more, but stalking on your own is much better, but your choice.

Depends on the syndicate. As with other things in life it is perfectly possible to get ripped off.

With paid days you are the client, can go by reputation,and have no need to return if not happy. So you will highly likely get a good outing with a knowledgeable likeable chap.

I guess that in part the answer comes down to whether you feel yourself capable of dealing with any beasts you might shoot as a member of a syndicate. In other words are you up to extracting them and do you have the facilities to deal with them once you have them out?

If the answer to that is yes then a syndicate place probably offers you the chance to get out on your own, make your own mistakes and come to terms with the responsibility of stalking alone. It also doesn't stop you from booking the occasional paid day now and again to see how others do it. You will probably have to accept that as a novice you can not expect to shoot deer every time you go out on your own, indeed depending on what sort of deer you are after you might struggle to shoot any for a year or two. If that doesn't bother you and assuming you can get a suitable syndicate place then I'd say you have nothing to lose.

depends were the syndicate is really ,travel from warks to say the borders will be very expensive and as you have the bug already you wont be able to stay away :D all that fuel could buy a few stalks with a good guide .syndicates wouldnt work for me unless i was with real good mates .tryed it with some phezy syndicates and that was bad enough fall outs about this and that just not worth the hassle imo . in the mean time keep looking for a permission of your own do what you like when you like then

regards norma

Thanks. I am pretty fit and feel capable of extraction. I do have a quad which I guess I could use if required. Don't mind doing the work after the shot but don't have own chiller so would either have to take straight to game dealer on way home or do have a couple local butchers who would take them if I don't want for myself. I do like being on my own and would be happy to make my own mistakes. I would however be a little concerned when selecting a animal if there was no clear cull beast. I wouldn't want to open myself upto other members wrath. Keep the thought coming I think there may be alot to consider here for me.

Wood master i am sure if you booked with a good chap in or around your area you might get a good deal on say 10 stalks thats one a fortnight through the winter give or take a few. If you block book you might get a deal say 60- 65 pounds with little travelling .Easy maths £600 -£650 i feel a syndicate place were you are would be a great deal more and you would be learning by the slow train. A syndicate place that would be cheap would cost more in fuel and time. Pay days and see what you learn and what you thnk later.

Just my opinion.

+ one with caorach, it really depends on how you feel.
I think if you are asking this question you would be better paying for accompanied stalking and try to gain as much experience as you can. when you reach the stage were you are taking advise from your guide and are already thinking along the same lines you are ready to go unaccompanied.This will Also give you time to try for some permission of your own, as norma308 said.
When I started I was lucky enought to know a professional stalker who was culling for the FC. I suppose you could call it a crash course in stalking/gralloching larder etc.
But still felt a bit overwhelmed first time out on my own.
Sinbad

You could be right Sinbad. I think some more outings may give me the ability and confidence to make the right choices on animals later on. I wouldn't have been looking for a place in Scotland as it is just too far and with fuel and accommodation (don't fancy camping in January in Scottish highlands) it's too expensive. I would be looking more local say 2-3 hours max for a syndicate. If paying per stalk at £60-65 I would like something within 1-1.5 hours otherwise more time is spent on the road than stalking. Hence so far I have had morning and evening stalk 2 hours drive away. This does obviously double the cost and makes for quite a expensive day if animals shot on both stalks and the 200 mile round trip, hence the thought of a syndicate place.

when i started out i was lucky i met a great guide who introduced me into stalking ,he put me on to stalking with his friends now i have learnt so much through my guide on paid days and that knowledge set me up i still stalk with him and his friends who i dont pay for the stalking with but do things to help out in return. i have just joined a syndicate as i feel with the expereince gained i wanted to stalk as much as i can 600 pounds will get you into a syndicate but you may find that its hard going as i dont know how much stalking you have done. i learned so much in the first year by going with various people and would suggest getting to know people in the stalking world it does really open doors and you learn far more than you would on your own . there comes a point when you need to be out on your own to learn from your mistakes as this also brings you on. its handy if a syndicate comes up through people you meet so you can share travelling and that way everyone gets on ,hope this helps abit,wayne

This all seems to be leading in the direction of paid stalks. To be honest I suspected it would but wondered if anyone would say they had joined a syndicate and got loads of help etc. This doesn't seem to be the case so far. I agree there is a mountain of learning to do and no better way than from being around experienced guys who are both willing and able to pass info on. Now I see many replies have come from trade members who sell stalking. I have been on here long enough to hopefully have gained an idea of who's good and who's not. Your happy customers tell it all. So I feel your info comes as intended, as good advice. I had thought of seeing if a block booking or even paying for some stalks in advance and having some booked days along with some floating days which either the PH or myself could fill on a convenient time if a opportunity arose. If I were to suggest this how many days/stalks would one expect to book? Do you think PH's would be offended if I asked what discount may be applied? I understand people try and make a living from this and to be honest find many of you guys to charge reasonable fees so feel a bit awkward asking but like everyone I to have a budget but would like as much experience as poss for my £. I then hopefully will be able to get some of my own stalking.

mereside is spot on I to started out like you & through people I met .
I now have a week at red hindes & am also in a syndicate ,2 farms deer & fox it all takes time.
best of luck
Den

i was at your stage myself and was lucky to bump into a guy in the pub and got chatting about stalking ,he took me under his wing and mentored me unofficially and we are good mates now and stalk on each others permissions, but back then he was the only one with stalking i paid for all mine and brought him the odd stalk as a thankyou for what he did for me ,stick at it and you will gradually move forward and hopefully get some stalking of your own. it all takes time good things are worth the wait .
kind regards
norma

ps a guide i first stalked with and still visit as a paying guest when i can turned out to be a good mate and has also taught me loads the more you get out there the more friends you will meet .

This all seems to be leading in the direction of paid stalks. To be honest I suspected it would but wondered if anyone would say they had joined a syndicate and got loads of help etc. This doesn't seem to be the case so far. I agree there is a mountain of learning to do and no better way than from being around experienced guys who are both willing and able to pass info on. Now I see many replies have come from trade members who sell stalking. I have been on here long enough to hopefully have gained an idea of who's good and who's not. Your happy customers tell it all. So I feel your info comes as intended, as good advice. I had thought of seeing if a block booking or even paying for some stalks in advance and having some booked days along with some floating days which either the PH or myself could fill on a convenient time if a opportunity arose. If I were to suggest this how many days/stalks would one expect to book? Do you think PH's would be offended if I asked what discount may be applied? I understand people try and make a living from this and to be honest find many of you guys to charge reasonable fees so feel a bit awkward asking but like everyone I to have a budget but would like as much experience as poss for my £. I then hopefully will be able to get some of my own stalking.
hi mate i dont think any of the trade members that replied sell any stalking im just a welder i know norma sells drawings i think you will get help in a syndicate as friendships can be gained but everyone joins for the freedom of stalking . with my work i cant count on being able to go with my friends all the time as work takes me away and when im home i can get away ,the wife works odd shifts so i can dissapear when shes working. but without gaining the knowledge first i would have wasted my money on a place and not got anywhere. i have a small permission 2 mins from home with deer but when i started out i needed to understand what i was doing before going off . i stalked with my guide to learn and on my perm just stalked the deer without the rifle and watched what they where up to and where they went at different times . stalking is always going to be cheaper with does/ hinds as you cant always get cull bucks but i went with if i have x amount to spend and we had a good stalk onto a buck and it wasnt a cull but abit more rather than pass up i took it and went away happy to have had a great stalk although i couldnt get out as often you might not get onto a cull buck so you could pass on a rep 6 pointer and have more stalks looking for smaller bucks as it comes closer to the rut you might not see the smaller guys. so take a memrable good buck to look back on. it depends on what you are after really all the guys on here i have found to be genuine and want to help you and get you on to whatever you are after i can give you names of guides i have been with who you will definately want to go back to , there are a few on here i want to stalk with and havnt met yet but will be arranging day with them as i have a few different species i would like to stalk this year. you only have to look in adds on here and read everybody seems happy to be out with them ,with the odd exeption,atb wayne

Good advice guys. I would be very grateful to those of you who have stalked with people off SD and would use again if you could drop me a PM with their names. Since I haven't managed to make too many friends yet. (I have made a couple and they are cracking guys, they know who they are if reading) I have a couple in mind so will see if they are on anyones list. Thanks for all the help.

Woodmaster, I found my self in this exact position a couple of years ago.

My options were to join a syndicate in SW Scotland, or to do pay by the day stalking.

I chose the syndicate for a couple of reasons.

Even though the travel is more expensive and I cant go as often as I would like, we go up on the grounds 2 or 3 time a year for a week at a time. It reduces the travelling, and gives us approx 30 stalks for approx £1400 including travel, fuel, digs, grub, and the stalking.

I looked at the budget and for a similar amount i wouldn't get as many stalks or be able to keep the meat, and in the buck season the beasts would cost a lot more.

Last time we went up 2 of us shot 6 and kept the meat, that itself would have cost approx £200.

So on balance the syndicate option worked for us. Since then we have grown to learn the ground, and become good mates some of the others on the syndicate, we form a good bunch, and they are all more than willing to help us if necessary with offers of chillers, quads, dogs etc etc.

So if its a good syndicate I guess it will outweigh the pay by the day option.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Money !!! I would like to go on more paid stalks but my job is not that good a payer, if i could join a syndicate i would ( again it would have to be near were i live 1 to 2hrs away )it may work out cheaper..Again best bet try to get your own permission !!! easier said than done..
ATB

Steve........

Do both.

I started 6 years ago with my first stalk with a guide. I got the overall picture and then joined a syndicate (after three visits to Arran with BASC).

I did Level I/II with a lot of help and advice from friends in clubs and syndicates, and am now into reloading. Think about at least I/II as you'll need it for some syndicates

Now I am in three syndicates, have my own stalking ground but would still go on a guided stalk to expand my knowledge (Munties?).

From your posts you are ready to go out on your own. Dont be dissapointed as it takes a while to get the hang of it. Because I was fit I used to race around the woods and wonder why I never saw anything. More watching than walking is the key.

Be warned... this hobby is addictive, but welcome to the addicts!

Peter

Wood master i am sure if you booked with a good chap in or around your area you might get a good deal on say 10 stalks thats one a fortnight through the winter give or take a few. If you block book you might get a deal say 60- 65 pounds with little travelling .Easy maths £600 -£650 i feel a syndicate place were you are would be a great deal more and you would be learning by the slow train. A syndicate place that would be cheap would cost more in fuel and time. Pay days and see what you learn and what you thnk later.

Just my opinion.

I would agree with this. PM me if you want a good contact in your area for a stalking provider. Cheers

This feels like the 'do I join the local golf club' question. There are many benefits, providing you use it, but use is the key - and they can be hard to get into. A few years back a friend and I got a bit bored of playing the same course and so put our membership into random trips out. (We opened a large scale map up, closed our eyes, span it round and stuck a pin in - then found the nearest golf course!). We had a great time - found some courses we wouldn't play again - and were able to make the money work for us when we needed it.

A couple of years of that and we were ready to go back to the club, with greater experience. No doubt we'll take flight again....!!

It feels as if you will benefit from getting out stalking with a variety of different people, see different ways of doing things and experience different species and landscapes. You may then (also) decide that a syndicate place is the right move to suit your needs. Money will as always be a deciding factor. As others have said block booking stalks at your convenience may also provide a mix of benefits. I know Jelen for example were offering a block booking, taken at your convenience with a discounted rate on a variety of estates that also included a day on a park in a cull where you receive instruction in that environment and get tuition on gralloching etc. as you need. The other benefit of a day like this is that you get to spend time around deer. I learned a huge amount, just by being able to watch the way they move and react and seeing species I wouldn't normally see.

Back