Sika spotted near Hawick/A68

Think it has passed me by. Was seen near Bonchester ( if same one ! ) above a week ago.
Would you shoot him if he was on your ground ?
Be nice to know where he ends up.
Will we ever know !

F.

Shoot him and you screw up the migration on the east side of the borders like Nell says! Leave him and he may at the right time of the year go and bring some hinds back to his ground. Stags are key for Sika migration, they are the prospectors. Plenty off room for them in the borders.
Also any landowner that know they have sika on there ground they will stick another 2k on your rent for next year! Be warned.

PKL you may have already put the crosshairs on him mate.

Every tom dick and harry now looking for a sika stag out-with tweed valley.

Last edited:
I believe it was near Stonedge Forest, but yes, let's hope he's left alone. Von, crosshairs I might put on him, but pull the trigger I wouldn't...at least until he's had a chance to spread his seeds so to speak. I know a lot of farmers might not like a sika population, but it 'would' be good fun!

Unless there are hinds nearby he won't hang around for long anyway come September and he can smell them from miles away to the west....

If he survives that long...

the whole area is heavily stalked and only a cock stride to FC wachope...

+1, the Wauchope Forest will be the killing field, as I believe it's syndicated, so lots probably wanting to have a go. Can't see the locals wanting to shoot him as a small population of Sika would be in their interest, species wise,,,then again.

+1, the Wauchope Forest will be the killing field, as I believe it's syndicated, so lots probably wanting to have a go. Can't see the locals wanting to shoot him as a small population of Sika would be in their interest, species wise,,,then again.

I know we would like to have them around,if only we could get the foresters to think the same:rofl:

I'm not too sure the people shooting FC ground are the 'foresters', more likely stalkers wanting to get their monies worth...IMVHO and I'm genuinely sorry if I offend some people on here, but the FC has it all wrong, they demand big bucks and DSC's, etc. for their tenants, but in my view what they get are people coming up to shoot they big bucks to 'get their monies worth', and then leave the yearlings and don't bother in the winter much (I can tell from the amount of shots I hear and deer I see from neighbouring grounds)...and 'that' is in my book the way NOT to manage a deer population in reducing damage to trees...but what do I know..

I believe it was near Stonedge Forest, but yes, let's hope he's left alone. Von, crosshairs I might put on him, but pull the trigger I wouldn't...at least until he's had a chance to spread his seeds so to speak. I know a lot of farmers might not like a sika population, but it 'would' be good fun!
I think that is a syndicate from manchester that have that.

If individual animals are pushing that far east, what is the likelihood of them making kielder forest properly, or are there existing records of sika forming part of the cull in kielder?

Id imagine if a few of them get into a place that size, they will be there to stay.

Novice

Back