Munty calibre

6.5/284matt

After shooting my first Munty earlier this week I realised my 6.5/284 is a bit too much gun and as I'm going to shooting quite a few on my new ground I'm going to get a .22 centre fire. Iv got a slot on my ticket for a 22-250 but don't want to be shooting them with the usual v max. Just wondered what bullet heads you guys are using for muntys

hi try a 60 grain sp .hornady 2270 or a hornady70 grain sp w/c 2280 interlock.it works for my mate .

When I had a .223 I used 55 grain Sierra soft point game kings at 3,250 fps, propelled by Viht N133 24.5 grains. Very effective on Muntjac and kind to the venison, subject to shot placement. Be sure to get a harder type of bullet so as to avoid messy surface wounds and internal splattering as you referred to with such as v-max, Hornady SXSP etc.

I don't think you have too much gun, probably just the wrong choice of bullet. Muntjac are hard little animals, in fact I'd say they are harder to knock over than Roe! A larger heavy bullet with less expansion will give you less trauma than a smaller rapidly expanding one!
MS

I don't think you have too much gun, probably just the wrong choice of bullet. Muntjac are hard little animals, in fact I'd say they are harder to knock over than Roe! A larger heavy bullet with less expansion will give you less trauma than a smaller rapidly expanding one!
MS

Spot on MS :tiphat:

+1 for 55 grain Sierra game kings. But I think your worrying too much! I use either my 30.06 with 165 / 150grn heads or my 6.5x55 with 120grn heads!

ATB

Tom

MS

+1.

of the 30 plus muntjac I have shot in the last year only one has had excessive meat damage and thats because the bullet hit the shoulder on the way in and ripped the far side shoulder almost completely off on the exit. I use a .308 with 150 grain bullets.

Different question then.
22-250 or 6.5x55 which I also have an opening for as I sold my last one to fund the 284. (bad move). I do love the 6.5x55.
I think iv just answered my own question.

I shoot Muntjac with a 6.5x55, I think its a good caliber for them at moderate ranges. I used to use the 140g Hornady Interlocks but I'm trying others at present. I have not had one not drop on the spot, with the above combination. meat damage is minimal too.

Save the pennies matt and stick with the 6.5/284, i know people on here who are shooting plenty of muntys with 30 cal magnums and getting little damage with a suitable projectile.
Im thinking of going down to my pals nxt week down in hert's on his muntys, i will be taking my .243 loaded with the same 87gn vmax i always use for roe .
Out of interest Matt what did you shoot the munty with and what was the damage like ? DF

I have both 22-250 which I use 55gn soft point with no problems and 6.5x55 which I have used 140gn sp. Neither seem to cause too much meat damage so long as hit in the right place as said earlier. I have some Berger 140gn VLD which should be good at long range with minimum damage. A mate has used them in africa on small game where he didn't want pelt damage. I'm yet to try them though. Any one had experience with hornady SST 140 gn. I've got some but not had a chance to see what they do on munty. My conclusion so far is that I see no great differance between my 22-250 or the 6.5x55 at the sort of ranges I come across munty at. One much faster and frangible the other slower with more knock down. I think I would probably go with the 6.5 as it has greater capacity to use on other species. 22-250 great on munty and fox but thats it unless in bonny scotland.

Back