Anyone used one of these?

eggy s

Vanguard Porta-Aim Gun Rest | Uttings.co.uk

In the last year I have taken maybe 1-2 shots outside the range off a bipod.

I don't want to drill a QD stud into the wood of my sauer so I am looking for a lightweight bipod alternative I can carry when I think it will be needed.

Has anyone tried one of those? or got another solution?

First of all I have to say that I do have a bipod on my rifle and it does get occasional use.

However, of late I've been putting some practise into shooting off short sticks kneeling - I prefer kneeling to sitting. Despite what I expected it didn't take me long to see a significant improvement in my shooting off sticks. Every time I went out stalking I put up a target and fired maybe 6 shots maximum and I'm starting to get to the point where I could take chest shots at deer off the short sticks out to around 200 yards, which is pretty much where I'd stop even with the bipod.

I also did the same with longer sticks from standing and, again, the improvement was pretty rapid and I was amazed.

The confidence you gain in being able to take such a shot off sticks means that you can shoot over undergrowth without a second thought and without having to look for a suitable rest or find a spot where you can put the bipod down. My experience is that it is rare to find yourself in a position where the only available shot is off a low bipod and I would say that since I started building my confidence in the sticks I take the majority of shots kneeling. I could probably take the bipod off the rifle now for forestry stalking but don't quite have the confidence to do that yet, however that might come soon.

The sticks, either size, are also handy when trying to walk quietly in forestry so carrying them is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. I bought my short sticks and made my long sticks from B&Q garden canes and if I was doing it again I'd make the short ones as well.

I'm guessing you probably already know this and in all probability you are a better shot off sticks than I am but I thought to give you my perspective on the matter, plus you really don't want to be carrying that porta-aim thing about with you when stalking.

Have you tried using your binoculars as a rest (keeping the lens covers on)?
I hadn't considered it until I saw a Belgian friend do it. But it makes a very effective stable rest.

Caorch I hear what you are saying and I agree practice of sticks is key. I am pretty confident shooting off them and the majority of my shots this year have been taken off them.

This solution is not so much for me but for clients.

SWS - I have done this before and it works pretty well but again I don't want really want clients using my £1600 bins as a bipod :)

How about taking off the roe sack and using that? I tend to use my rucksack as a rest when hunting in mountains and it works a treat.

Nor do I in this country, which is why my bin's get used as a rest the very few times when I don't shoot off sticks.

Not sure I would want to carry about the device in your link though!

I understand. If you look at this thread there is a post by Offroad Gary on the first page and the very last photo in it shows someone with a old rifle of some type using simple crossed bits of wood as a bipod. It actually looks more stable than my Harris :) Maybe something like that, tuned to your requirements, would be the job and there would be no risk of marking a client's rifle. It certainly looks easier to carry than the porta-aim, and inexpensive to make yourself:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/41175-Egg-shoot-Diggle

Do a web search for "Sniper Saddle"

EASY to make - any decent used camera tripod & some 4" plastic pipe (or similar) and some foam of some sort

I understand. If you look at this thread there is a post by Offroad Gary on the first page and the very last photo in it shows someone with a old rifle of some type using simple crossed bits of wood as a bipod. It actually looks more stable than my Harris :) Maybe something like that, tuned to your requirements, would be the job and there would be no risk of marking a client's rifle. It certainly looks easier to carry than the porta-aim, and inexpensive to make yourself:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/41175-Egg-shoot-Diggle

Haha so simple I am now sitting here wondering why I have never thought of that. Thank you very much.

Back