A bit of a wierd one this

Simjim33

I am looking for a 600x 1200mm 25 - 50mm thick piece of slate.

Why?

It is to make a memorial stone for my daughter that passed away five years ago. I have never found a stone mason that can do what I am looking for.

I have permission from my local council to do what I want. Building contorl have said they will check it for conformity. So legally every thing is in place.

I did have a piece coming from a retired snooker table but the guy destroyed it trying to get it out himself and it's now too short for requirement.

If any one knows where I might find a piece can you let me know?

Thanks Guys.

Last edited:
Thank you basil.

I made her coffin too, but now I Kind of need to finish the job if you know what I mean.

if you cant find any local you could contact honier slate mine and explain to them, im sure they could help, good luck with your search.

Regularly used in the trade in making fireplaces - hearths and surrounds. Try your local suppliers for contacts. Good luck.

try granite planet, i used to work for them for 5 years. they are a sister company to george willcox granite which is one of the main memorial importers distributors in the country, they will be able to sort you a piece of slate in those dimensions in either 30mm or 20mm and also sandblast any writing on it hey even have a new machine that can laser etch photo's on if you wish... they have deliveries going up and down the country all the time so should be able to get it to you or somewhere near... if you ring granite planet on monday on 01386 840868 and explain what you require and what is for i am pretty sure they will find you a bit and wont charge the earth for it? hope this is of some help to you.

Regards, Jez.

hi sim jim very sorry for your loss i live 5 miles from penrhyn quarrysin north wales where most of the elsh slate is qurried not sure of the number but if you googl penrhyn quarry bethesda north wales maybe they can help they deliver all over the country if they are delivering near you maybe it wont cost you to much good luck

I tried a local guy on a enterprise estate that I want to take a unit in. Got a bit of a blank look when I gave him the dimentions. The local water jet cutters that I am going to use also has drawn a blank currently. I really thought I was on a winner when the table came up. Thems the breaks I guess.

try granite planet, i used to work for them for 5 years. they are a sister company to george willcox granite which is one of the main memorial importers distributors in the country, they will be able to sort you a piece of slate in those dimensions in either 30mm or 20mm and also sandblast any writing on it hey even have a new machine that can laser etch photo's on if you wish... they have deliveries going up and down the country all the time so should be able to get it to you or somewhere near... if you ring granite planet on monday on 01386 840868 and explain what you require and what is for i am pretty sure they will find you a bit and wont charge the earth for it? hope this is of some help to you.

Regards, Jez.

Thank's for that Jez I will ring them Monday.

hi sim jim very sorry for your loss i live 5 miles from penrhyn quarrysin north wales where most of the elsh slate is qurried not sure of the number but if you googl penrhyn quarry bethesda north wales maybe they can help they deliver all over the country if they are delivering near you maybe it wont cost you to much good luck

Cheers Toad,they are on the the google list too

hi there when on holiday last year we went to pren gwyn in south wales and there was a slate dealers there, that could cut and supply slate in any size sorry i cant remember their name but it may come up in google land good luck with the cause though

Hi
I have 3 pieces of slate 975mm x 400 x 30 if this size is any good to you, you are welcome to collect a piece free of charge, i will provide some photos later on today

Hi
I have 3 pieces of slate 975mm x 400 x 30 if this size is any good to you, you are welcome to collect a piece free of charge, i will provide some photos later on today

That's very good of you thank you. The grave dimentions are 1200x600 mm so it would mean altering the side walls dimentions quite a bit and I'm not sure if planning will be happy me changing it to much. It took a lot of back and fourth to get them to let me do it now. Because the design is not the norm. The first answer I got was a plain " no your not a licenced mason" then " you don't have the experience or knowlage for this"

I can't believe that it has taken four years to get them on board.

When we first chated to the funeral directors I told then I would make the coffin. I got a phone call from him in a bit of a state when he asked what wood I had used as it was blunting his brass nails. When I told him is was ropular lace wood. He didn't even know what it was. I ended taking a drill bit down to him. Poor man.

I guess this my fault really. Not many people get this involved.

Back