Hide Now Complete

a tidy piece of work, is there not a risk with reds that unless you flatten what you see survivors will just avoid the area like the plague?
A nieghbour did the same and now deer only get within range after dark o'clock.

a tidy piece of work, is there not a risk with reds that unless you flatten what you see survivors will just avoid the area like the plague?
A nieghbour did the same and now deer only get within range after dark o'clock.
The hide is on a square opening approx 200yrds x 200yrds in the middle of a 120 acre woodland and we only get transitory beasts going from the forest on the north through our ground to the farmers field on the south so we are hoping the above scenario does not occur.

Wee bit of an update- we went stalking yesterday and encountered 10 reds but all hinds and no stags- :doh:, so we decided to put finishing touches to our hide/tower. We were in the process of hammering old carpets and visqueen to the floor and walls to make it water/wind and noise proof when I looked out of the hide to the right and there at 180yrds out was a roe buck contently browsing the trees.

I attempted to crawl 'army style' along the tussocks (much to Ewich's amusement) to get the rifle out of the car which was 10yrds away but Mr Buck carried on munching before disappearing back into the wood before I could get sorted. Mr Buck was totally unphased by the presence of the motor or our work activities.

Now the hide is totally, totally finished it is to be put to good use.

IMG01719-20120527-1219.jpg

Wee bit of an update- we went stalking yesterday and encountered 10 reds but all hinds and no stags- :doh:, so we decided to put finishing touches to our hide/tower. We were in the process of hammering old carpets and visqueen to the floor and walls to make it water/wind and noise proof when I looked out of the hide to the right and there at 180yrds out was a roe buck contently browsing the trees.

I attempted to crawl 'army style' along the tussocks (much to Ewich's amusement) to get the rifle out of the car which was 10yrds away but Mr Buck carried on munching before disappearing back into the wood before I could get sorted. Mr Buck was totally unphased by the presence of the motor or our work activities.

Now the hide is totally, totally finished it is to be put to good use.

View attachment 15904

That's awesome - will you be submitting or sharing any plans

That's awesome - will you be submitting or sharing any plans
Sorry this was built on site by 2 surveyors as we went and from recycled timber that I procured from a couple of construction jobs I was on and that the timber was going to be shredded and sent to recycle/waste.

The structure comprises of 4 No 100x100x1800mm posts bedded on sections of concrete slabs all levelled and 'squared' well nearly with 75x50mm cross braces. The floor set at 1400mm and the lower walls were formed from recycled pallets that were fully boarded already and fixed with 100mm nails to the posts. The walls were extended up to roof level with 75x50mm posts nailed to the pallet uprights and top runners which were clad with sections of board removed from a fifth pallet. The shutters are half inch ply (the only wood bought) with the roof the same. The roof is finished with mineral felt, a plywood crate side forms the access door with hinges and slip bolt (bought). I also reclaimed a roll of visqueen which has been nailed internally as waterproofing and then finished with recycled carpet to deaden the sound of movement on the timber and also keep us warm in the winter.

All in it took us 3 and abit days over 3 weekends

Back