lone worker gps tracker

glen13

Good morning, it looks like i will be spending a lot of time out of range of mobile reception with my job.
Is there a way of tracking a gps enabled phone on my pc,(with maps) which i can download off the net so i can be monitered.It is only for peace of mind really.I`m just trying to cover all angles,cos if it can go wrong,it WILL go wrong.I would like a app or somthing to download free if possible.
Cheers-glen

How can they monitor you if you have no phone signal?
Better off telling someone where you are going and checking in with them at regular intervals.
Daz

I believe both the iphone and blackberry have that ability (someone told me once)...you'd better call their help centre's though to check and to find out exactly 'how'. some other's might also, not sure which, but clearly the phone must have a GPS device that works separately to the antenna

At work we use a Spot Tracker 2, works with no problems in very remote areas, sends a signal back to a laptop or phone

Glen, there is a multi platform app called view ranger, that allows you to see where your pals/buddies are.

You;ll have to check if it'll do exactly what you need, but I have seen it working, and its quite impressive, it shows where you are, where you have been, as long as your buddy has the app also. It also allows you to download squares of an os map with good detail.

Some lads on our syndicate use it when stalking, for the mapping and to know where the others are, great for safety and also should the need arise.

Hope that helps.

What phone are you using?

Look at ActInNature (feels similar to the app posted above), and for simplicity Google Latitude. There are plenty of apps out there. If you want something more robust, have a look at the Bushnell D-tour product - it may have some use for you?

BTW, SPOT - HUNTERS - as mentioned above looks very cool......

Last edited:
I think the SPOT might come close to doing your job as it allows you both to "check in" and also to send an alert signal.

I looked at them some time back for a similar problem but there were quite a few reports of them just not working or getting a satellite signal and that put me off in a big way. However, perhaps it was a quality control issue with the hand held unit and has been long since resolved. The other down side with them is that you have to pay an yearly subscription so there is some outlay involved.

As has been noted, there are numerous apps, all with their pluses and minuses, but...

out of range of mobile reception

...if you are going to be out of mobile reception and want real time tracking or even sporadic updates to your position you NEED mobile coverage, or else buy one of these:

mobile.png

FEATURES

(Afraid it is far from "free")

As has been noted, there are numerous apps, all with their pluses and minuses, but...

...if you are going to be out of mobile reception and want real time tracking or even sporadic updates to your position you NEED mobile coverage, or else buy one of these:

View attachment 15500

FEATURES

(Afraid it is far from "free")

I think the GPS functionality of iPhone for example is separate to the GPRS, so something like Google Latitude would work for passive tracking?

I bought half a dozen "spot" devices last year, they turned out the best option, we gone down the sat phone route before with varying levels of disaster and wasted dosh!

Glen13
My work have issued us a thing called Skyguard its used by the police and other large organisations they are aimed at loan workers with a man down servise if you want the call centre that moniters them can also record what ever you say if you want it can be use as a phone if you want, its only a small device, if memory serves try skyguard.com
martin

I think the SPOT might come close to doing your job as it allows you both to "check in" and also to send an alert signal.

I looked at them some time back for a similar problem but there were quite a few reports of them just not working or getting a satellite signal and that put me off in a big way. However, perhaps it was a quality control issue with the hand held unit and has been long since resolved. The other down side with them is that you have to pay an yearly subscription so there is some outlay involved.

I have the same issue... looked at Spot but reliability of a:) the satelite actually picking up the signal and b:) the response service (they seem to get regularly panned for the monitoring and alert service) along with the annual subscription put me off completely... HOWEVER, as far as I am aware, there is mo comparable civilian service (i.e. ability to check in, even send short text messages.)

I have instead got me a McMurdo 510 PLB (about the size of an old nokia mobile) which uses COMSAT & SARSAT (US & UK Military SAR satelites) which means the system is monitored and works (controlled by the coastguard in the UK.) No subscriptions, just buy the unit and register it and you are good to go (about £200.) The downside is it is a device of last resort.... no updates, no maps, no texts.... but if you find yourself in a life threatening situation and don't have cell phone coverage... set the beacon off and SAR will be all over you like the proverbial... also works anywhere on the planet.... no blind spots!

I think the GPS functionality of iPhone for example is separate to the GPRS, so something like Google Latitude would work for passive tracking?

Yes but the phone needs to communicate with the network to tell everyone else where it is otherwise it is just a very clever gps that you can also play angry birds on while you are waiting to die.... in the middle of nowhere... alone.............. that is... until your iPhone battery gives up after a couple of hours!

Yes but the phone needs to communicate with the network to tell everyone else where it is otherwise it is just a very clever gps that you can also play angry birds on while you are waiting to die.... in the middle of nowhere... alone.............. that is... until your iPhone battery gives up after a couple of hours!

Ditto... ain't no use tracking your every move, recording your every step if you can't actually share that with anyone/alert them... the only way is by satellite or some long range radio solution (of which I'm unaware of any)

Was it SAR that the chappie down in New Zealand recently got rescued through? He'd had it for about 13 years and this was the first time he used it... I'm not aware of any other bit of electronic kit that works after 13 years lying the bottom of a rucksack :D

Glen13
My work have issued us a thing called Skyguard its used by the police and other large organisations they are aimed at loan workers with a man down servise if you want the call centre that moniters them can also record what ever you say if you want it can be use as a phone if you want, its only a small device, if memory serves try skyguard.com
martin
I trialled the Skygaurd for the company I work for, as we were trying to better the lone working system we currently use. The unit does have some very good functions but again was not 100% reliable due to the lack of mobile signal in the Mid Wales countryside.

Back