Deer Season Calendar

Cry Havoc

Hi, Sometime ago I remember somebody posting a thread that contained a detailed calendar of all the seasons, including Rut and Casting, not just open/Closed seasons. Does anyone have ii or point me to the thread?
Cheers
Dom

Dom,

If it's the thread I'm thinking of, it was deleted as the OP was sharing a copyrighted format. However, if you look at the Deer Initiative and download their species sheets, you will find it there. The Jelen CD also has this sort of thing on as does Ultimate Deer Data from BDS.

Yes, I did put them up and even re-worked them from the original content. However, having had a read of copyright law it turns out I can't post them up as they are "too close" to the original idea and The Deer Initiative have never got back to me about using them. I believe I am right in saying that if they are made freely available for an educational purpose then that would be considered legal, not sure on that though.

Yes, I did put them up and even re-worked them from the original content. However, having had a read of copyright law it turns out I can't post them up as they are "too close" to the original idea and The Deer Initiative have never got back to me about using them. I believe I am right in saying that if they are made freely available for an educational purpose then that would be considered legal, not sure on that though.

You can't copy write natural occurrences, and so long as you put the information into your own format, I can't see any issue, or am I missing something ?

Guys many thanks for your help - andibrains just the job.
Adjman I thought It was something you'd post but couldn't find it, that'll explain why.

Cheers
Dom

Is there some smart chap on here who can do a simple iphone app for deer seasons ? The phone knows the date, the phone's GPS knows where you are, so switch on the app and it tells you whats in season locally. Maybe it would be applicable to UK only though. I don't know about Androids.

You can't copy write natural occurrences, and so long as you put the information into your own format, I can't see any issue, or am I missing something ?

It was the type of chart used by The Deer Initiative that was the copyright concern. They have an excellent "wheel" chart that makes the various seasonal changes really easy to remember visually rather than trying to remember a whole set of numbers/dates.

The original sheets are here Species Ecology best practice guides | The Deer Initiative at the end of each PDF is the wheel chart - I just put them all together on one sheet with the open and closed seasons to make a handy reference sheet - I'll try emailing them again and see if they are happy for me to put the sheet back up as not-for-profit educational use.

Back