The things you see when you haven't got a camera

Hi All

I went out yesterday morning to have a half hearted look for a Roebuck.

I spotted one very nice tall buck but he wasnt in a safe position so it was his lucky day. I continued my stalk and spotted another buck with a doe he was a promising young buck so again I walked away.
I moved to another little farm down the road where I my stalk took me over a little stream it's only about 4ft wide I was stood right in the stream when I spotted something up stream it was an otter, I froze where I was and he continued down the stream until he got to about 6ft away from me, then he stopped and just stared for a few second before swimming under a tree and hiding. Well that made my morning but such a shame I had left the camera in the truck.

I continued my stalk only seeing does so I headed back to the truck. I then called at a quiet little field with a good length of grass, the sun was out and it looked promising, I stalked around the field edge towards a high seat. First I spotted a doe then another and a buck, I crawled under the protective barbed wire Andy and I put up to protect the free standing seat from the cattle which will be in this field later in the year and quietly climbed the seat.
When I was up the seat I could see more of the field there were six does and 2 bucks, the nearest buck being about 100 yards away a five pointer I put the gun up and then put it down again deciding not to shoot him but then I looked at all the deer in this mowing grass and thought I had better shoot something so as he was the nearest male which made it his unlucky day. A lovely morning with a nice little buck but the otter was the highlight for me.

Wayne

P5130175.jpg

Wayne
You don't fancy giving us 6 numbers do you?
The way your luck is going just lately they may just come in Saturday
I had a similar experience last year with an otter on the canal between Brecon and Abergavenny.
Watched him for 20 mins working a small stream turning stones like you, no camera at the time.
No roe buck to finish the story though.
Cheers
Brian

Wayne
You don't fancy giving us 6 numbers do you?
The way your luck is going just lately they may just come in Saturday
I had a similar experience last year with an otter on the canal between Brecon and Abergavenny.
Watched him for 20 mins working a small stream turning stones like you, no camera at the time.
No roe buck to finish the story though.
Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian

I got the looks and charm I really coundn't expect to be rich as well :lol::lol::lol::fib:

nice one mate.

had a similar experiance but it was while walking the dogs down by the river a couple years ago, again sadly no camera.
Went back evry morning for a week to try and film them but no luck.

Yet again another nice but mate. Don't take the rifle just a stock box next time. Iv'e got a lovely wood they could make their new home in

Jon

Hi Brian

I got the looks and charm I really coundn't expect to be rich as well :lol::lol::lol::fib:
Ha ha lets just wait and see how much abuse that comment brings you from those who know you

As Jon said take your stock box next time but don't send them north to him, send them south down the A465!
Brian

Was out spotlighting one night and were watching a otter chase rabbits round reeds trying to catch them for ten minutes, was between 6 and 30 feet away. After that turned to my mate and said we going home as things ain't going to better that tonight!!

never mind the Otter, id be over the moon to see a Roe,
after searching every inch of all my farms id come to the conclusion that the HR3 post code held no Deer at all.
Then the wages clerk who lives in the middle of HR3 walked into work this morning and announced that a Roe doe had been in her garden last night,
i hate her :(

I was lamping once with a mate next to the River Clyde calling for foxes when spotted 3 set of eyes racing towards us. I knew they werent foxes but was very surprised to see that it was 3 otters :eek:

Nice one wayne looks a nice buck, i always try to carry a compact video camera when ever i go stalking.
The camcorder fits snug in my top left breast pocket dont even know its there, lost count of the special things i could have filmed and used to kick myself for not taking it. DF

Nice one wayne looks a nice buck, i always try to carry a compact video camera when ever i go stalking.
The camcorder fits snug in my top left breast pocket dont even know its there, lost count of the special things i could have filmed and used to kick myself for not taking it. DF

I know what you mean, I left my compact camera and video camera at home, I only had the bigger camera in the car and then I forgot to take that one out, it was early though:oops:

I've missed some great photo opportunities over the years mind some of the sights I've seen you would need an X rated section :lol::lol:

I know what you mean, I left my compact camera and video camera at home, I only had the bigger camera in the car and then I forgot to take that one out, it was early though:oops:

I've missed some great photo opportunities over the years mind some of the sights I've seen you would need an X rated section :lol::lol:

It's all that rough cider mate.

Jon

Back