Brocock Air Cartridge Question

filzee

Several years ago i acquired some Borcock air cartridge guns at the time you could just buy them.
Then the government in the infinite wisdom made it so you had to have them on an FAC which is what we did.
The real question is;
Can i sell them?
Who too?
And what are they worth?

I have a 7 shot Winchester repeater
3 x Colt Peacemakers

All are original 18whatevers just with the cylinders and barrels changed.

Thanks Phil

The answer is no!

None of the self contained cartridge systems can be sold on, they have to stay with you for the rest of its life... then submitted for distruction.

I still have my Brocock predator carbine rifle & am in the same boat.
Dont use it, but dont want to see it destroyed.

I re-discovered one of these a few months ago. They are a MAJOR NO NO. Unless you had them applied to your FAC pre 2004, when there was an amnesty, I'm 99.9% certain they are now considered a section 5 firearm, and highly illegal. Get caught with it, and don't be surprised if you get in some very deep water, and lose your FAC.

I took advice from the BASC, who very kindly called my firearms dept, on my behalf, where it was agreed they would come and collect the gun, and have it destroyed.

Get it sorted out !!!

ooooo i had the predator multishot , lost count of how many cartridges i lost at £22 a pop , lol

arnt the revolvers totally illegal now , folk were reboring them for live ammunition?

I've had them many years and their all legit on an FAC so nothing illegal about me having them I just hate the fact they just sit in the cabinet and there's nothing I could do about it. Could really have done with the money from them. What about compensation if they were to be destroyed? It's not my fault they were banned and why should I lose out?
Sad state of affairs

I've had them many years and their all legit on an FAC so nothing illegal about me having them I just hate the fact they just sit in the cabinet and there's nothing I could do about it. Could really have done with the money from them. What about compensation if they were to be destroyed? It's not my fault they were banned and why should I lose out?
Sad state of affairs

Not too sure about the rifle, I do know that the revolvers were made a Section5/lifetime Section 1 item, as has been stated

I seem to recall that some folk exported theirs...though I have no idea if this could still be done - IF it could be it'd be a case of adding them to a European Firearms Passport...BUT I have a feeling that this would be a non-starter too (even though they are still perfectly legal in most of europe)

If they were mine I'd use them as much as possible rather than see them sitting dormant in a safe

I don't know wether to just have the deactivated if possible and then I could have them out of the cabinet.
Thier a right ball ache to use having to pump up each individual cartridge and you fire them a lot quicker than you load them.

I wonder how easy it is to export these?

Theoretically I could buy a Brocock and have it shipped to an overseas address where there isnt any restriction? I was thinking Greece.

Any experience guys?

From what I've read you can still legally buy the cartridges without a license being required.
I have about 50 .22 cartridges and about 30 .177 carts. I have a foot pump and hand pump for them and spare seals ant repaire cit for them.
If it was possible to export them to sell I would be interested in doing this.

ooooo i had the predator multishot , lost count of how many cartridges i lost at £22 a pop , lol

arnt the revolvers totally illegal now , folk were reboring them for live ammunition?

Nope.
Take out the guts of the Tandem Air Cartridge (TAC), enlarge the hole at the base insert a small primer et voila the pellet is propelled by an explosive gas.

Was told that in reality exceeding 6flbs was unlikely but it was the propellant that moved it into FAC land

I had an Ensign Elite s/n 99 plus 2 revolvers. Chopped the lot as an FAC at that time wasn't an option.- unfair as the Elite used a different cartridge but got "lumped in" with the ban
Oh and only found out about the primer conversion last year- til then I had no idea how they could be converted- but then as a law abiding type why should I know?

Last edited:
Filzee, If its possible to export them and so buy them from you I might well give them a new home.

I dont thing Greece has any particular law on standard power air weapons.

We both might have to do some research. They are otherwise scrap and that upsets me.

For what it is worth you can deactivate your Brococks.

It is not rocket science and does not require much in the way of tools. I and a friend have done so with our "Colt" SAA's.
You then take them (you cant send them - Section 5) to the proof house, get the guns stamped and receive your Deact Cert. If you contact the Proof House before you visit you can arrange for everything to be processed as you wait.

You then inform your local licencing dept and get the gun taken off your FAC.

The home office have produced a detailed report on Deactivation and I found the staff at the Birmingham Proof House to be excellent.

I have a couple of lever action rifles that are likely to go the same way. Once deactivated you can hang them on the wall or sell them on. Hope this helps.

I heard stories that some were removing the cylinders in the brocock revolvers and replacing with cylinders that could fire live .22 ammo. The original cylinders in brocock revolvers were designed to fall apart if real bullets were used in them.

Now Brocock handguns are gone Im stuck with HW45- single shot overlever compared to 6 shot (6ft/lb) double action of Brocock, RIP

I can better that i now have 5 brocock revolvers and an HW45 and i cant get rid of any of them

Hi really Old Thread I know , But I am trying to locate and purchase one of these BACS Brocock Rifles , Either a Safari Or a Predator, I used to live in the UK and had Brocock pistols and a Safari rifle , I posted the pistol too the USA just before the ban and Now live there so don't have a problem owning one . From the legal expert on another group as follows . ( Right been in touch with our expert and this is what he says . The 'letter of the law' answer is that they need to be removed from the UK register, which can only be done by a section 5 dealer, with the correct paperwork.
He can then export them & remove them from a section 1 licence.
The only other option is to get it deactivated & then he can sell it before this stupid new EU law comes in!) .
I would love to give one of these a new home where it will be forever safe from destruction . Thank you for taking the time
Ryan

Back