£2k to spend on a scope - what would you buy?

You are going to get a split camp on this one.... And the Zeiss sponsered guys are going to push zeiss (obviously) No offence John... I would if I got free/discounted kit..

I use Zeiss rf bins and think they are awesome but as for a stalking scope........ the Z6i is arguably THE best hunting scope on the market... It also doubles up as a very effective red dot sight, even in bright sunlight! Get it with the ballistic turret and you are good to go! 2.5-15x56 is incredibly versatile and due to very good design, not bulky at all and very light.

I really wouldn't look elsewhere....

Save the 2k and buy something else, plenty to choose from for a lot less! They are not worth 2k of anyone's money, someone enlighten me as where the value is?

Nice dilema to have.. :D

As Jager hints, I don't think you'll utilise the features of a £2k scope on a stalking rig as once you reach a level of lense quality the money goes into range of adjustment, BDC's, illumination and environmental ratings.
I sincerely doubt you'll ever use high mag or 100 minutes of adjustment out stalking. For example, the Z6's have the same glass, whether it's the 'entry level' or top of the line Z6i BDC high mag job. On 7x they all have the same picture.

On the other hand if I had £2k to spend on a scope for my TRG I'd probably go Schmidt PMII but for stalking it'd be the Z6i but max 14x, possibly with the BDC.

Save the 2k and buy something else, plenty to choose from for a lot less! They are not worth 2k of anyone's money, someone enlighten me as where the value is?

I had exactly the same thoughts... I had a Gen 1 Z6i and ended up resenting having so much tied up in a scope... I sold it and replaced it with a £700 Scope... after 3 months I couldn't cope any more, my confidence in it was low, I felt as if the image quality was lacking, low light performance wasn lacking and I really missed the amazing illumination the Z6i had... so... sold it and bought a Gen 2 Z6i!

I have used both ends of the spectrum adn would buy another Z6i now without hesitation or resentment at cost!

It would have to be the Swarovski Z6i Gen2 2.5-15x56. By the best and buy once......

Forgot to add, I have a Swarovski PF 8-50 at the moment and the quality is fantastic, i will be getting a Z6i for my new 30-06. I have also had the lower end of the range scopes and its not until you have used a top quality scope that you really see the difference.

Last edited:
I had kind of narrowed it down to the zeiss 6-24x56 FL and the Z6i Gen2 2.5-15x56 - has anybody got any experience of the two in a side-by-side comparison?Just to enlighten the debate a little further I already have a S&B 8 x 56, Leupold VX3LR 50 and a Bushnell Elite Tac 50 and the difference in quality of the S&B over the other 2 is significant. Hence the need to buy a top of the range!!!!!!

Jesus, if I had £2k to spend on a scope I would spend £1500 on more stalking ground and £500 on a 2nd hand S&B/Zeiss/Docter/Leupold!

do you insure these whilst out and about?
anything over £1500 that may be lost or broken outside the house incurs a hefty hike in my household insurance premium. My Sako/scope combo doesnt add up to £1000 and it bumped the specified individual item insurance up by £50 a year by itself.

I cant imagine the pain of slipping and knocking one of those in the field.

Jesus, if I had £2k to spend on a scope I would spend £1500 on more stalking ground and £500 on a 2nd hand S&B/Zeiss/Docter/Leupold!

QUOTE]

Ahh but you can't snuggle up to a days stalking in bed and caress it lovingly! :love:

I have a problem.... don't I! :scared:

If you have that sort of money to spend on a scope and want the best then in my experience so far there is only one place to look - Nickel. I've never seen anything better, plus you don't have the pleasure of paying for adverts in Sporting Rifle :)

swarovski pvi2 6 -24x50 tds4i ret - swarovski's flagship retired early to make way for the z6i range. still a few kicking around, mcleods have a new one for about £1450 i think. best hunting scope ever made (apart from swaro 8x56 illuminated).

As per the comments there are numerous scopes out there that will do the job effectively. If money is no option and it's not burning a hole in your pocket then look at a good quaility scope at the £2k mark but, for anyone £2km is a lot of money and could buy other equipment as well. I use a 4-12X45 Pecar, it's a shame they went out of production as they compete in my opinion with some of the top scopes. Good luck searching and hunting.

I use Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 scopes for stalking. I have Swaro Z6i 1-6x24 for driven shooting.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for sheer quality, I would keep the Zeiss over Swarovski anyday. For my eyes, Zeiss are brighter. I only wish they had ballistic turrets as I love dialling in, rather than holding over! For general stalking you can get more scope than you'll ever need for GBP 1400.

For foxing the Zeiss 6-24x56 is unbeatable and I would say that it is even clearer than mz S&B 5-25x56 PM11 P4fine. However the S&B would win on over all functionality as it has a bigger adjustment range and a colour coded double turn.

I do like the look of the Swaro Z6i, especially the turret with range markers. All the best with whatever you buy!

I use Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 scopes for stalking. I have Swaro Z6i 1-6x24 for driven shooting.

. I only wish they had ballistic turrets as I love dialling in, rather than holding over! For general stalking you can get more scope than you'll ever need for GBP 1400.
they bdc can be retro fitted to the victory line.
regards john

Have to say I'm leaning toward the Zeiss 6-24x56. My reasoning is that it's probably going to go on a rifle that has interchangeable barrels, namely .22-250 and either .270 or 30.06. So I want a quality optic that's good for stalking and foxing.Plus, it's my 40th later this year and evrybody likes spoiling themself once in a while!Thanks for all the comments - keep them coming, particularly you Swaro fans as that Z6i is better looking than my Mrs!

Back