Butchering (part 2)

Following on from an earlier thread on butchering your own deer i was given a small muntjac on Friday which i successfully butchered into edible looking jonts today and a resonable pile for mincing into sausages and burgers.

I would just like to thank all those that contributed to my earlier thread giving me the confidence to tackle it on my own, looking formard to the next one that comes my way, thanks guys, in particular a thread member who sent me several dvds on butchery which we very useful.

Well done NCB
more fun and satisfying than giving it to a butcher to do ;)
but not as clean :lol: :lol:
look forward to a few pics next time
ATB
stone

butchering

Hi NCB
see told you it could be fun ;)
you will find the more times you do it the less minceyou get :)
well done
JayJay

Im not too bothered with the mince pile, ive just treated myself to a mincer/sausage stuffer and cant wait to get stuck into some venison burgers and sausages. If anything its going to give me the extra push to get my level 1 so i can kill it cook it eat it. :D

Well done.

It does get easier as you do more of them, and don't be afraid to experiment with how you cut it up. At first I used to do as much of it as possible as joints, then got into doing some of it as steaks, and now I think every deer I do is butchered differently, depending on what meals I / my friends want from it!

As for home made venison burgers (which we are having for dinner tonight) they are superb! You'll never want to bother with beef burgers again!

As the guy who got me into stalking said to me - 'if you haven't tasted roast venison that you have shot and butchered yourself, then you just haven't tasted venison, because most of the stuff in the butchers's shops is the bottom end of the quality scale - stalkers alwasy keep the best stuff for themselves!'

Maybe, like me, you'll need to get another freezer as the addiction sets in!

Enjoy - there's nothing quite like venison that you have shot, and butchered yourself.

Rgds

RH

Well done.

It does get easier as you do more of them, and don't be afraid to experiment with how you cut it up. At first I used to do as much of it as possible as joints, then got into doing some of it as steaks, and now I think every deer I do is butchered differently, depending on what meals I / my friends want from it!

As for home made venison burgers (which we are having for dinner tonight) they are superb! You'll never want to bother with beef burgers again!

As the guy who got me into stalking said to me - 'if you haven't tasted roast venison that you have shot and butchered yourself, then you just haven't tasted venison, because most of the stuff in the butchers's shops is the bottom end of the quality scale - stalkers alwasy keep the best stuff for themselves!'

Maybe, like me, you'll need to get another freezer as the addiction sets in!

Enjoy - there's nothing quite like venison that you have shot, and butchered yourself.

Rgds

RH

Just for you NCB and RH :lol:
MUNTY burgers :lol: :lol:
i found i had a little venison to play with so with 2 munties in the fridge burgers were on the menu
first i stripped the whole carcass just keeping a couple of haunches as joints

P1060080.jpg

P1060081.jpg

then i cut the meat i stripped off into chunks or cubes around an inch in size
P1060083.jpg

after that i took an onion and whole clove of garlic
P1060084.jpg

finely chopped the onion and after peeling the garlic finely chopped that aswell
along with thes ingredients i added around 3lbs of pork fat/belly draft and cut that into inch chunks/cubes aswell
P1060085.jpg

then mix all of these together in with the venison
P1060091.jpg

now every thing is ready to mince
normally i would use the mincer in the larder , except that mincer works best if the meat is semi frozen
i did not hav time to wait for that , so i used the mincer at home, a little slower
but i can can hav a drink while i'm doing it
i put the mixture through the mincer twice
first on a coarse hole plate
P1060129.jpg

while this is gonig on i take a bit of the mince and fry it up just to see what the flavour is like
to see if i need to add anything else
P1060094.jpg

once happy i then mince it again on a fine hole plate setting
P1060130.jpg

both coarse and fine together
P1060131.jpg

mincer working on fine setting
P1060097.jpg

next i lay out several wax discs , i use quarter pounder's (approx 4") from lakeland
P1060099.jpg

after that i roll hand full of mince into a ball and place on the disc's, once you hav done a few you will get an idea of how big a handfulll you will need (approx 100grams is a gude line)
P1060102.jpg

then place another wax disc on top of these , then use a hand held burger press , mine at home is a cheap amnd nasty plastic one but it works well
P1060104.jpg

P1060106.jpg

once done i use a metal fish slice to lift the burgers of the work surface and place them in fours into a bag, plastic ones are a little thicker and often the front edge is damaged
P1060109.jpg

once all done and bagged up
pop them onto a tray and into the freezer this keeps them from becoming mis-shaped , you can then re-pack them in freezer once the burger are frozen,
76 burgers
P1060111.jpg

now all done and time to tidy up
one last thing to do
cook one and try it
P1060115.jpg

P1060126.jpg

enjoy
stone

How long should I hang a CWD before I skin/prepare the carcass? I shot it a week ago (18/01/15) and it is currently hanging in a cool outhouse. The weather has been cold all week - outside temp not rising much above 6C.

My son in law did one for me on saturday to show me the correct way to do it he was a butcher at Tesco and Morrissons for 15 years and got twice as much meat as me the next one is going for sausages. Its so easy when you know how

Scrape the neck and ribcage bones as much as possible and keep that trim for your sausage and burgers
Hope this is of any help to you

Atb .....scott

Back