Should the larger organsiations purchase land to stop it being lost to shooting?

Should larger organsiation purchase land

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

news of the world

We here so much about prime locations being lost to shooting because it has been purchased by shall we say other organisations that are anti shooting.Should some of the larger organisations purchase land in order to preserve it for our sport.

It may be the only way to preserve shooting rights, however I think that it is a huge abuse of charitable status for an organisation to acquire large property portfolios. Surely the idea of charitable status is to carry out charitable works, not to become wealthy landowners subsidised by tax breaks.atb Tim

The organisations buying up land have more members therefore more cash to spend than the shooting organisations
It has worked for some of the wild fowling clubs, but its a different thing, they limit shooting to the members and a few permit days for others, would be difficult to organise in say a stalking type purchase, or even more difficult in game shooting.

But cost being the biggest problem, would you be prepared to pay an annual membership of £500 to £1000 to
an organisation and even then have to enter a draw as to when or if you could shoot on the ground, don't think that many would prepared to pay that sort of money to an organisation, plenty complain about costs at the moment.

Its not a bad idea, but its not practical, the cost involved are horrendous, just think of how big a purchase would need to be made for members to be able to shoot when the want impossible! OK smaller areas then its a lottery system of who and when you get to shoot, and when you look at how much they would have to increase membership fees to cover the purchase cost, and don't forget you have running costs after you have bought it

You only need to look at estates, to see how hard it is to make land pay.
When you take everything into consideration IMO its a non starter.

Fair enough proposal I think. Money is always the problem however so I think it would be a good idea for landowners (especially our brothers in arms so to speak , of the hunting, shooting, fishing variety) to leave portions of their estate to us at the Stalking Directory. Donated early enough they could perhaps reduce inheritance tax, ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.
Any thoughts from our more affluent members ? ( and the rest of you off course !)

JR

Fair enough proposal I think. Money is always the problem however so I think it would be a good idea for landowners (especially our brothers in arms so to speak , of the hunting, shooting, fishing variety) to leave portions of their estate to us at the Stalking Directory. Donated early enough they could perhaps reduce inheritance tax, ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.
Any thoughts from our more affluent members ? ( and the rest of you off course !)

JR

Leave land to an online opinions forum ??? Your having a laugh are you not !?

.. ensure that the land which they are no doubt very fond of will be kept for future like-minded generations, and at the same time make certain that their favourite sports have land on which to continue.

And then have a very heated debate about who should be shooting on it, how, when and what with!!

Have the wildfowlers not been doing this for along time.

PJ

The wildfowlers have been trying to do this for a long time. The problem is, there are only a few clubs that are any good at it.

The BASC makes much of the funding available to clubs for landpurchase but take up is dissappointingly small given the funds on offer...

I think what is actually needed is for a "Land Bank" to be set up which clubs can lease land off as most can't deal with the complexities or pass the rigour of long term debt to purchase land.

ATB,

Scrumbag

The BASC makes much of the funding available to clubs for landpurchase but take up is dissappointingly small given the funds on offer...

Only because you have to be a very large or super club to be able to afford the repayment terms involved. Most clubs like our own TDWA will find it unfeasable because of this, bear in mind also the loans will only match your own input I believe to a max of 50% of the total costs.

Only because you have to be a very large or super club to be able to afford the repayment terms involved. Most clubs like our own TDWA will find it unfeasable because of this, bear in mind also the loans will only match your own input I believe to a max of 50% of the total costs.

Couldn't agree more matey, hence my comment about:

as most can't deal with the complexities or pass the rigour of long term debt to purchase land.

But clubs successfully rent land year in, year out. So in essence I think the BASC/Trust should become the landlord and derrive income from selling the shooting rights and where possibile renting out the land to farmers etc which don't mind shooting with strong covenants on allowing shooting to continue...

Promise, wasn't having a dig at small clubs, but most as your say can;t use the funding so the funding as a whole isn't properly leveraged...

ATB,

Scrumbag

Their are other concerns with these issues, just say BASC were to become land owners/ landlords to shooting clubs syndicates etc, you would then find you'd have to be a member of BASC to shoot said land ( reasonable assumption ). Surely this could be deemed as creating a monopoly as your choice to source insurance as being discussed on another thread would become irrelevant.Although BASC do some stirling work, on occasions they can also get things very wrong when staff / officials of the organisation have their own agendas.

ps the said funding everyone refers to I believe was raised by the WHT stamps which wasn't intended for the purposes now being discussed. As a club the cost of the stamp used to be included in our annual subs when we heard it was being hi-jacked for other purposes a vote was taken with the outcome being voluntary contributions now. To date as secretary I've had to order 0.

Last edited:
Their are other concerns with these issues, just say BASC were to become land owners/ landlords to shooting clubs syndicates etc, you would then find you'd have to be a member of BASC to shoot said land ( reasonable assumption ). Surely this could be deemed as creating a monopoly as your choice to source insurance as being discussed on another thread would become irrelevant.Although BASC do some stirling work, on occasions they can also get things very wrong when staff / officials of the organisation have their own agendas.

The National Trust springs to mind.

Leave land to an online opinions forum ??? Your having a laugh are you not !?

And then have a very heated debate about who should be shooting on it, how, when and what with!!

Aye - - tongue v much in cheek. However I'm sure we could form an SD Subsidiary with Charitable status to welcome all willed land donations - - as for heated debate - - we thrive on it here! It would be good to have the problem!

What would happen if you got ten SD members that put 10k each into a kitty would they be able to buy a decent wood in scotland for that and rent out stalking to Sd members and if one member wanted to leave it could be sold to a new member or bought by the existing members any input welcome

Mark

I am not so sure a wide and dispersed membership group would ever work well for any kind of mass syndicate enterprise you only have to look at the varying opinions on here to realise. However land itself does not need to be purchased, only the shooting/stalking rights. And that is a very different proposition to actual land purchase.

How can anyone on this site ask any of the main organizations to purchase land when,all some do is moan about how much the membership is.

i'm thinking that if all (sd) members , for example, put up a suitable membership fee then enough sporting rights could be purchased to allow every member to shoot. think about how much you would spend in , lets say, 10 years on stalking. if that cost out weighed the membership for 10yrs then... winner.

with the software available surely it could be possible to have a centralised "booking system" and operate a book and shoot policy, possibly with a ceiling on number of outings per year?...just a thought

Back