scope for .222 + zero distance

User00003

Guys,

what sort of scopes do you use for your .222's or .223's? variable, fixed, etc. what's popular on the objective bell end:eek:? do you tend to use basic rets or varmint/bdc or target turrets? why....

what zero distance do you tend to use?

to give you an idea, mine will be used 80% for fox and vermin 100 to 350 yds during evening and light night work, some rook/crow/bunny work too during the day. 20% for roe deer (yes in Scotland) within 200yds.

just looking for what's popular and why and any thoughts on what might suit me (my budget does not stretch far, maybe £350 tops)

thanks for your help.

P

id go for a schmidt and bender 8 x 56 point and shoot and drop at 300 in .223 is only around 12 inches

S&b 8x56 on my .223 for foxes when lamping, also just got a conquest 4.5-14x50 for daytime long stuff

meopta 7x50 fix mag.
sit's on top of my t3 varmint.223.
great,could'nt fault it.
atb,fbrad.

Hi
I have a 3-9x44 Nikko-Sterling, 30/30? reticle on my Tikka M595 0.222; zeroed 1" at 100yds.

When I get round to it I have a Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50 to try on it (yes it seemed a good idea at the time this became available!) - the existing works so not too keen to 'tinker'.

I use this in Scotland for Roe (for a change from other larger calibres) and down south for Muntjac/Fox.

L

If you plan to shoot small quarry ( rabbits - Crows etc ) out to 350yrds ( maybe a bit further ? )
Stay away from small mag fixed power scopes - 6 - 8 power scopes are crap for bunnies at extended ranges IME.

I used a 3-9 scope back in 1984 on a air rifle FFS - with a max range of 35 yrds - why would you want to shoot at something 10 times as far with less mag :rolleyes:

Get a decent vari mag - 12 mag minimum - it will do it all - the higher mag will assist with zerong and longer range shooting. When the extra mag is not required - drop it down to 8 power.

Scopes I would recommend within the price range ( SH ) 3-12x56 meopta - Zeiss Conquest - 4-14 - Bushnell 6500 range - Leupold scopes

ATB
Alan

Guys,

what sort of scopes do you use for your .222's or .223's? variable, fixed, etc. what's popular on the objective bell end:eek:? do you tend to use basic rets or varmint/bdc or target turrets? why....

what zero distance do you tend to use?

to give you an idea, mine will be used 80% for fox and vermin 100 to 350 yds during evening and light night work, some rook/crow/bunny work too during the day. 20% for roe deer (yes in Scotland) within 200yds.

just looking for what's popular and why and any thoughts on what might suit me (my budget does not stretch far, maybe £350 tops)

thanks for your help.

P

I really do wonder if some SD members actually read first?

Now I am sure our friend PKL would jump on all those Zeiss, Swaroski, Schmidt & Bender and Meopta's at £350! However in all honesty can any of you actually point us in the direction of said scopes at that amount or under?

Now PKL unless your a damned jammy git I'll think you will still be looking and you might have to compromise a bit.

My own .222 is a trim BSA Regent and for normal shooting it wears, at te moment, a 4-10x44 Simmons pro Hunter Master series scope. However for range work I have an older Simmons competition 6-18x40AO with 1/8"Min clicks. It was made for the FT air gun crowd and I got it off on of them as it became "old hat" not the newest .... blah.. blah ,, blah! you know.. It has a normal duplex reticle and not the must have mildot muiltiple aiming pints etc.

Optically it's quite good however eye relief is fairly critical. It's not a forgiving scope for head position but then again in competition shooting it's all from set positions. One reason i use it for range work and load development. One thing though it's a long scope and looks out of place on this trim rifle. Suits the 6mm P-H 1200V with it's 24" Bull barrel better :D so I picked up a second one off that auction site a few years back so have two of them.

Whilst the image seemed fine on the new Nikko Sterling GC I brought to try out the build quality was total crap and the scope was virtually unusable. Totally unusable on anything larger than a .22 Rim Fire as it turned out. As a result I would never consider a new Nikko Sterling scope again. The customer support from the importers was not worth the paper it's written on. Likewise the Hawke Nite-eye was a right piece of junk.

Ahhhh Macleods have a used Weaver V10 =£180 and a Meopta 7x50 for £295. be a good idea to phone and talk to them and see what else they have. You will need to decide how much mgnification is too little or too much.

If this is for the new to you hopefully soon mystery rife then mounts won't be a problem as it uses about the most common type out there. Rem 700 ones.

Schmidt +Bender 8x56 .222 rem zeroed for 1" high at 100yds mostly fox and roe deer love my S&B.you could always get a second hand one around £300 you will not regret buying one atb KMCK

I really do wonder if some SD members actually read first?

Now I am sure our friend PKL would jump on all those Zeiss, Swaroski, Schmidt & Bender and Meopta's at £350! However in all honesty can any of you actually point us in the direction of said scopes at that amount or under?

Now PKL unless your a damned jammy git I'll think you will still be looking and you might have to compromise a bit.

My own .222 is a trim BSA Regent and for normal shooting it wears, at te moment, a 4-10x44 Simmons pro Hunter Master series scope. However for range work I have an older Simmons competition 6-18x40AO with 1/8"Min clicks. It was made for the FT air gun crowd and I got it off on of them as it became "old hat" not the newest .... blah.. blah ,, blah! you know.. It has a normal duplex reticle and not the must have mildot muiltiple aiming pints etc.

Optically it's quite good however eye relief is fairly critical. It's not a forgiving scope for head position but then again in competition shooting it's all from set positions. One reason i use it for range work and load development. One thing though it's a long scope and looks out of place on this trim rifle. Suits the 6mm P-H 1200V with it's 24" Bull barrel better :D so I picked up a second one off that auction site a few years back so have two of them.

Whilst the image seemed fine on the new Nikko Sterling GC I brought to try out the build quality was total crap and the scope was virtually unusable. Totally unusable on anything larger than a .22 Rim Fire as it turned out. As a result I would never consider a new Nikko Sterling scope again. The customer support from the importers was not worth the paper it's written on. Likewise the Hawke Nite-eye was a right piece of junk.

Ahhhh Macleods have a used Weaver V10 =£180 and a Meopta 7x50 for £295. be a good idea to phone and talk to them and see what else they have. You will need to decide how much mgnification is too little or too much.

If this is for the new to you hopefully soon mystery rife then mounts won't be a problem as it uses about the most common type out there. Rem 700 ones.

Thank you for your reply BH, I will have a look at your suggestions. :)

Also, thanks to everyone else, S&B is the most likely contender of the 2nd hand category I'd say, as it seems some quality one's are available within my budget for this rifle.

I must admit I was thinking about a reticle placed BDC/xmas tree style system; however having also had a look at chuckhawks, I might just go for a MPBR zero with 1" high at 100yds give or take and a couple inches low at 300yds, so pretty much everything in between is just point and shoot.

....the problem in this world, these days,,,is there is tooooo much d@mn choice!!!

I have a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on my 223, zeroed at 150 yards. Works very well with the lamp and also superb with my archer nv.

Back